    http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/product.asp?item=122043 to check
    out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
    Bond and Bond claims it to be.
    sal, Jan 5, 2004

  2. sal

    Athura Guest

    RRP is only reccommended retail price. B+B can charge what they like for it,
    so long as it has been that price for a certain time period (30 days i
    think) then they can show the 500 discount and be ok from a legal standing.

    Athura, Jan 5, 2004

  3. sal

    K & S Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:25:41 +1300, sal <> wrote:

    >Anyone see the special that Bond and Bond currently have, where they
    >say they are giving 50% off the price of a Black Diamond TV, and
    >selling it for $499, saving $500!. I thought this sounded like a good
    >price, however, when I went to the manufacturers website at
    >http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/product.asp?item=122043 to check
    >out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
    >Bond and Bond claims it to be.

    Normal thing, may be it Was $999, perfectly legal..
    K & S, Jan 5, 2004
  4. sal

    cowboyz Guest

    sal wrote:
    > Anyone see the special that Bond and Bond currently have, where they
    > say they are giving 50% off the price of a Black Diamond TV, and
    > selling it for $499, saving $500!. I thought this sounded like a good
    > price, however, when I went to the manufacturers website at
    > http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/product.asp?item=122043 to check
    > out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
    > Bond and Bond claims it to be.

    Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
    to normally sell it $400 over that.

    On another note about Bond and Bond. I went in there cause the little
    woman wanted a food processor. I found one that was $121. Me being me I
    wasn't sure if it would suit her so I didn't buy it and took her back the
    following day (ie. one day later) and there was a big sign out the front
    saying 10% off everything.
    Great I thought. Went to the same spot in the shop and the *same* food
    processor was now $135. I hit the salesman up about it and he said I was
    mistaken. I know I wasn't and didn't buy that one either. Brought one for
    $200 from a little store in Te Awamutu instead. I don't mind paying a
    premimum for honesty.
    cowboyz, Jan 5, 2004
  5. sal

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and
    > Bond to normally sell it $400 over that.

    Which would explain the massive discounting that they so readily agree to
    when asked what discount they are prepared to give...

    Lennier
    Lennier, Jan 5, 2004
  6. sal

    sal Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:52:38 +1300, K & S
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:25:41 +1300, sal <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone see the special that Bond and Bond currently have, where they
    >>say they are giving 50% off the price of a Black Diamond TV, and
    >>selling it for $499, saving $500!. I thought this sounded like a good
    >>price, however, when I went to the manufacturers website at
    >>http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/product.asp?item=122043 to check
    >>out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
    >>Bond and Bond claims it to be.

    >Normal thing, may be it Was $999, perfectly legal..

    I think if they were originally selling it 40% above the RRP, there is
    something very strange going on. Usually retailers will sell at the
    RRP or slightly below. I actually haven't seen this TV in their store
    before (at least not on the shop floor and I have been looking around
    for the last few months), so don't know if they were orginally selling
    them for $999.
    However both B&B and Noel Leemings are owned by Pacific retail, and
    they have very similar pricing for products, and Noel leemings are
    only selling it $100 over the RRP
    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...productId=32117&crumb=10003-10137-10138-10142
    and it doesn't say that it is a special price.
    Anyway, I sense something dodgy going on with their pricing, so I will
    like at another retailer.
    sal, Jan 5, 2004
  7. sal

    sal Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >sal wrote:
    >> Anyone see the special that Bond and Bond currently have, where they
    >> say they are giving 50% off the price of a Black Diamond TV, and
    >> selling it for $499, saving $500!. I thought this sounded like a good
    >> price, however, when I went to the manufacturers website at
    >> http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/product.asp?item=122043 to check
    >> out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
    >> Bond and Bond claims it to be.

    >Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
    >to normally sell it $400 over that.
    >
    >On another note about Bond and Bond. I went in there cause the little
    >woman wanted a food processor. I found one that was $121. Me being me I
    >wasn't sure if it would suit her so I didn't buy it and took her back the
    >following day (ie. one day later) and there was a big sign out the front
    >saying 10% off everything.
    >Great I thought. Went to the same spot in the shop and the *same* food
    >processor was now $135. I hit the salesman up about it and he said I was
    >mistaken. I know I wasn't and didn't buy that one either. Brought one for
    >$200 from a little store in Te Awamutu instead. I don't mind paying a
    >premimum for honesty.

    Yes it is very difficult to prove what the original price was. That is
    where the retailer ahving a website is good for the consumer, as you
    can reference a printout at a later date..
    sal, Jan 5, 2004
  8. Hi there,

    sal wrote:
    > Anyone see the special that Bond and Bond currently have, where they
    > say they are giving 50% off the price of a Black Diamond TV, and
    > selling it for $499, saving $500!. I thought this sounded like a good
    > price, however, when I went to the manufacturers website at
    > http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/product.asp?item=122043 to check
    > out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
    > Bond and Bond claims it to be.

    Its not a bad TV, but not worth $999.

    Ask if you can have it for $500 off RRP! The older brother of my brother
    -in-law is the Melco CEO. I wonder what he thinks of this...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 5, 2004
  9. sal

    Keith Guest

    Seen this before with Noel Leeming - I took photos of the "original" priced
    stuff, and when they offered a huge discount that wasn't real, I hit them up
    and they coffed up another $200!

    I suggest you ring around and get the price from several other suppliers,
    and then go to B&B and hit them with it... like if the reg price is $599 and
    they are saying 50% off, then ask for it for $300 or take them to the fair
    trading people - I'm pretty sure they have been caught red-handed before -
    wouldn't surprise me if they are doing it again!

    keith

    Keith, Jan 5, 2004
  10. sal

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:32:27 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    > For example, Briscoes. They have everything overpriced, often close to
    > double what some things are elsewhere, and then continually have "20-50%
    > off!" sales.
    >
    > It's obviously a have, but people can't miss a bargain, and come in
    > droves.

    *Sometimes* Briscoes genuinely does have a product that is good value.

    Never, however, when not on sale.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Jan 5, 2004
  11. sal

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:07:33 +1300, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and
    >> Bond to normally sell it $400 over that.

    >Which would explain the massive discounting that they so readily agree to
    >when asked what discount they are prepared to give...
    >
    >Lennier

    It never ceases to amaze me, actually, how people continually fall for
    this.

    Gurble, Jan 5, 2004
  12. On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
    > to normally sell it $400 over that.

    "suggested RRP" is usually the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you'll find something sold
    for (modulo blatent rip-off artists...) in tinpot retailers who buy
    one-off from the wholesalers.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 5, 2004
  13. sal

    Karma Guest

    Smith's City. Was offered $150 discount off PC System for cash. Wow!
    and 30 days to think about it. Went to their 'sale' during that 30
    days and same PC was 'offered' $50 discount for cash. Told salesman
    about previous offer he shrugged walked away, came back seconds later
    and offered $75 discount. Didn't buy it, could have shown him card
    with previous written offer but thought 'blow them'. Hate it when
    different salesmen can make different seemingly random offers.
    Karma, Jan 5, 2004
  14. sal

    jerm Guest

    On 5 Jan 2004 11:19:54 -0800, (Karma) said

    >Smith's City. Was offered $150 discount off PC System for cash. Wow!
    >and 30 days to think about it. Went to their 'sale' during that 30
    >days and same PC was 'offered' $50 discount for cash. Told salesman
    >about previous offer he shrugged walked away, came back seconds later
    >and offered $75 discount. Didn't buy it, could have shown him card
    >with previous written offer but thought 'blow them'. Hate it when
    >different salesmen can make different seemingly random offers.

    Salesmen have freedom to negotiate, and probably a commission based on the
    final sell price. So salesman 1 was desperate to make any sale, salesman 2
    was near his quota, and prepared to hang tough to keep his $$$$$ up.
    jerm, Jan 5, 2004
  15. sal

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:19:09 +0100, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
    >> to normally sell it $400 over that.

    >"suggested RRP" is usually the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you'll find something sold
    >for (modulo blatent rip-off artists...) in tinpot retailers who buy
    >one-off from the wholesalers.

    Not true. Most large retailers sell almost everything for over the
    RRP.
    Gurble, Jan 5, 2004
  16. sal

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:32:22 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > *Sometimes* Briscoes genuinely does have a product that is good value.
    >
    > Never, however, when not on sale.

    ROTFL.

    Gordon, Jan 6, 2004
  17. sal

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:19:54 -0800, Karma wrote:

    > Smith's City. Was offered $150 discount off PC System for cash. Wow!
    > and 30 days to think about it. Went to their 'sale' during that 30
    > days and same PC was 'offered' $50 discount for cash. Told salesman
    > about previous offer he shrugged walked away, came back seconds later
    > and offered $75 discount. Didn't buy it, could have shown him card
    > with previous written offer but thought 'blow them'. Hate it when
    > different salesmen can make different seemingly random offers.

    That is because you have not found the bottom line, or the line at which
    they are not ready to sell at.

    Gordon, Jan 6, 2004
  18. sal

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:06:09 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:19:09 +0100, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
    >>> to normally sell it $400 over that.

    >>"suggested RRP" is usually the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you'll find something sold
    >>for (modulo blatent rip-off artists...) in tinpot retailers who buy
    >>one-off from the wholesalers.
    >>

    > Not true. Most large retailers sell almost everything for over the
    > RRP.

    Evidence please.

    Gordon, Jan 6, 2004
  19. sal

    Jerry Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >sal wrote:
    >> Anyone see the special that Bond and Bond currently have, where they
    >> say they are giving 50% off the price of a Black Diamond TV, and
    >> selling it for $499, saving $500!. I thought this sounded like a good
    >> price, however, when I went to the manufacturers website at
    >> http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/product.asp?item=122043 to check
    >> out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
    >> Bond and Bond claims it to be.

    >Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
    >to normally sell it $400 over that.
    >
    >On another note about Bond and Bond. I went in there cause the little
    >woman wanted a food processor. I found one that was $121. Me being me I
    >wasn't sure if it would suit her so I didn't buy it and took her back the
    >following day (ie. one day later) and there was a big sign out the front
    >saying 10% off everything.
    >Great I thought. Went to the same spot in the shop and the *same* food
    >processor was now $135. I hit the salesman up about it and he said I was
    >mistaken. I know I wasn't and didn't buy that one either. Brought one for
    >$200 from a little store in Te Awamutu instead. I don't mind paying a
    >premimum for honesty.

    Both prices are very unusual, because nearly all prices in Bond and
    Bond end in $9.99. A pirce of $121 or $135 would be very hard to
    find. I can see your food processor being $119.99, $129.99 or
    $139.99, but not 121 and 135. Are you sure you were in a Bond and
    Bond?

    Jerry
    Jerry, Jan 6, 2004
  20. sal

    Worm Guest

    "sal" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone see the special that Bond and Bond currently have, where they
    > say they are giving 50% off the price of a Black Diamond TV, and
    > selling it for $499, saving $500!. I thought this sounded like a good
    > price, however, when I went to the manufacturers website at
    > http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/product.asp?item=122043 to check
    > out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
    > Bond and Bond claims it to be.

    The "You won't beat a Bond's deal" slogan is to be taken literally, I
    discovered a few weeks ago. They'll supposedly beat anyone else's price on
    the same item. Well, that's what I was told :)

    Seem to be an awful lot of businesses doing the whole beat everyone else's
    price these days...!

    Worm
    Worm, Jan 6, 2004