  1. Guest

    Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?
    , Mar 31, 2005

  2. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

    It is Japanese.

    Most here pronounce it boe-kuh, but I think the Japanese just "boke".
    -Not sure about the latter...
    Mark², Mar 31, 2005

  3. Dave Busch Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, wrote:

    >Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

    It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.

    The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
    "broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
    are no stressed syllables in Japanese.

    A Japanese-speaker will be along soon to correct me if I'm mistaken.

    Dave

    -------------------------------------
    Everything I know, and then some:
    http://www.auctionmyths.com
    Dave Busch, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <>,
    Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, wrote:
    >
    > >Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

    > It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
    >
    > The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
    > "broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
    > are no stressed syllables in Japanese.
    >
    > A Japanese-speaker will be along soon to correct me if I'm mistaken.

    You are not completely correct....I have a soundfile on my computer of a
    Japanese person pronouncing it. It goes like BO-keh, with a slightly
    longer "bo" and short keh (spoken like "que?") It doesn't rhyme with
    mocha. closest sounding English word is "bouquet" I think, that sounds a
    bit like my bokeh soundfile, apart from the ou-o change

    by the way, I found it when I looked for info on how to pronounce
    "Zuiko"... another one of those things.
    :)
    Lourens
    Lourens Smak, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:
    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

    >It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
    >
    >The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
    >"broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
    >are no stressed syllables in Japanese.

    I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the British
    pronunciation of "bouqet".
    Chris Brown, Mar 31, 2005
  6. "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote:
    > Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:
    > >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, wrote:
    > >
    > >>Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

    > >It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
    > >
    > >The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
    > >"broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
    > >are no stressed syllables in Japanese.

    > I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the

    British
    > pronunciation of "bouqet".

    Dunno how "okay" is pronounced on that side of the pond. Probably quite
    different from my side of the pond. (I had to read the Japanese subtitles in
    Letter to Brezhnev since I couldn't understand what they were saying...)

    The "e" is a tad shorter and without the grinning involved in pronouncing
    the "a" in hay. I've been told vowels in Japanese are like vowels in
    Italian, but given the difficulties I had with Latin and German (two
    seriously difficult languages compared to Japanese) I've made a point of
    avoiding European languages...

    FWIW, the actual Japanese term is "bokeh-aji", literally "the flavor of the
    out of focus".

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Mar 31, 2005
  7. Chris Brown <_uce_please.com> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:
    > >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, wrote:
    > >
    > >>Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

    > >It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
    > >
    > >The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
    > >"broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
    > >are no stressed syllables in Japanese.

    > I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the British
    > pronunciation of "bouqet".

    Uh.... This Briton pronounces "bouquet" nothing like "okay" (and not
    much like *boke*, neither).

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
    Louise Bremner, Mar 31, 2005
  8. Chris Brown Guest

    In article <1gub3h6.17hdigb1wzyi80N%>,
    Louise Bremner <> wrote:
    >Chris Brown <_uce_please.com> wrote:
    >

    >> I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the British
    >> pronunciation of "bouqet".

    >Uh.... This Briton pronounces "bouquet" nothing like "okay" (and not
    >much like *boke*, neither).

    Please tell me you don't engage in that nasty southern habit of schwa-ing
    the poor word to death?

    Although I've lived in the south for some time now, a lot of people can
    still detect that I'm originally from "oop north", because I still can't
    quite bring myself to stop pronouncing vowels. ;->
    Chris Brown, Mar 31, 2005
  9. dylan Guest

    "Dave Busch" <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

    > It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.

    As in "If it ain't boke don't flix it" :eek:)
    dylan, Mar 31, 2005
  10. TAFKAB Guest

    > "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote:
    >> Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:

    >> >It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
    >> >
    >> >The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
    >> >"broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
    >> >are no stressed syllables in Japanese.

    >> I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the

    > British
    >> pronunciation of "bouqet".

    > Dunno how "okay" is pronounced on that side of the pond. Probably quite
    > different from my side of the pond. (I had to read the Japanese subtitles
    > in
    > Letter to Brezhnev since I couldn't understand what they were saying...)
    >
    > The "e" is a tad shorter and without the grinning involved in pronouncing
    > the "a" in hay. I've been told vowels in Japanese are like vowels in
    > Italian, but given the difficulties I had with Latin and German (two
    > seriously difficult languages compared to Japanese) I've made a point of
    > avoiding European languages...
    >
    > FWIW, the actual Japanese term is "bokeh-aji", literally "the flavor of
    > the
    > out of focus".

    I was close. I thought the literal translation was "blurry shit in the
    background."

    TAFKAB, Mar 31, 2005
  11. Stewy Guest

    In article <onL2e.62874$le4.53321@fed1read04>,
    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

    > It is Japanese.
    >
    > Most here pronounce it boe-kuh, but I think the Japanese just "boke".
    > -Not sure about the latter...

    Perfectly right - Japanese is phonetic so you pronounce vowels simply -
    a as in mat, e as in met etc so bo as in bond and ke as in kettle.

    BTW The consonant *L* doesn't exist in Japanese R is used instead and a
    lot of Japanese get them confused (flied lice) likewise also si (as in
    seat) - shi (she) is used - so 'We are sitting together' becomes...
    Stewy, Mar 31, 2005
  12. Frank ess Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote:
    >> Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:

    >>> It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
    >>>
    >>> The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
    >>> "broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that
    >>> there
    >>> are no stressed syllables in Japanese.

    >> I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the
    >> British pronunciation of "bouqet".

    > Dunno how "okay" is pronounced on that side of the pond. Probably
    > quite different from my side of the pond. (I had to read the Japanese
    > subtitles in Letter to Brezhnev since I couldn't understand what they
    > were saying...)
    >
    > The "e" is a tad shorter and without the grinning involved in
    > pronouncing the "a" in hay. I've been told vowels in Japanese are
    > like vowels in Italian, but given the difficulties I had with Latin
    > and German (two seriously difficult languages compared to Japanese)
    > I've made a point of avoiding European languages...
    >
    > FWIW, the actual Japanese term is "bokeh-aji", literally "the flavor
    > of the out of focus".

    So, is that flavoUr different from flavor?

    No, really: one of the difficulties with speaking Spanish (as opposed to
    speaking at it) for gringos is the challenge presented by learning to
    lose the habit of drawing-out final vowels. _Tomate_ should sound like
    "tow mah teh" as opposed to "to mah tey". Shutting down when the
    communication is done, when the vowel has been sufficiently identified,
    ain't natural for us north-of-the-borderers.

    I wonder if _boke_ = "boh keh" requires the same kind of exhale
    close-off rather than a dwindling deflation.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Mar 31, 2005