    cheapest one) which is about $30 at computer stores an Warehouse
    Stationery, I rang Boise office supplies where the company I work for
    has an account, Boise wanted $73 bucks. Stuff that.

    K T T, Jul 28, 2004

  2. K T T

    Harry Guest

    K T T wrote:

    > Checking pricing for an ordinary MS optical usb mouse (the basic
    > cheapest one) which is about $30 at computer stores an Warehouse
    > Stationery, I rang Boise office supplies where the company I work for
    > has an account, Boise wanted $73 bucks. Stuff that.

    was is cordless also? that might be the reason for the difference.
    you can have non-optical corded, optical corded, non-optical wireless,
    and optical wireless and the prices all differ.

    Harry, Jul 28, 2004

  3. K T T

    Tim Guest

    You have to be really careful of those "stationery" shops.

    They charge absolute max and more. I think they get too used to multi
    hundreds of percent markups on paper products - you know reams of paper for
    over $12 when it should be < $5... if not < $3.

    EG I walked into one to check to see what toners they had & pricing. While I
    was there I also checked the pricing of Epson printers. They had one that
    was over 100% above RRP. I pointed this out. They said that the price was
    correct - it wasn't I had purchased one a few weeks earlier for over $1000
    less.

    I simply do not trust any of them.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Tim wrote:
    > EG I walked into one to check to see what toners they had & pricing. While I
    > was there I also checked the pricing of Epson printers. They had one that
    > was over 100% above RRP. I pointed this out. They said that the price was
    > correct - it wasn't I had purchased one a few weeks earlier for over $1000
    > less.

    just because it is more expensive, doesnt make them wrong... it is after
    all their company, they can charge what they like.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 28, 2004
  5. K T T

    James Slacks Guest

    "K T T" <> wrote in message
    > Checking pricing for an ordinary MS optical usb mouse (the basic
    > cheapest one) which is about $30 at computer stores an Warehouse
    > Stationery, I rang Boise office supplies where the company I work for
    > has an account, Boise wanted $73 bucks. Stuff that.

    Depends on the size of your company. Small companies won't attract the
    discounts that large ones will. Plus, the larger your company, generally,
    the greater your buying power and therefore ability to negotiate good
    prices. Trust me, I know.

    James Slacks, Jul 28, 2004
  6. K T T

    Tim Guest

    No Dave. Blatant rip off. Read it carefully "blatant rip off". There is no
    other description the product was over twice RRP and they had the audacity
    to say it was correctly priced. If they are so incompetent that they need to
    mark up beyond RRP and then claim the pricing is correct, they should not be
    in business. I do not shop there. I do not recommend anyone shop there. No
    one should have to come from a large corporate just to get RRP. No one
    should have to spend thousands of dollars a month to get respectable
    pricing. They do not need to do this. If their main thrust of income was
    from corporates only via online / telephone sales with repeat orders etc.
    then they would not need showrooms and the public would not walk in. Do you
    think it is OK for them to rip off some old granny who thinks they are
    investing wisely in EG a printer for grandson for christmas and be treated
    as though they were an American citizen? I don't, thats why I live in NZ -
    companies like that do not have ethics and do not deserve to be in business.
    Or is that where you work Dave and is this why they can afford to pay you to
    spend all day on the net? That would explain it.

    - Tim

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...

    Tim, Jul 28, 2004
  7. reply is inline.

    Tim wrote:
    > No Dave. Blatant rip off. Read it carefully "blatant rip off". There is no
    > other description the product was over twice RRP and they had the audacity
    > to say it was correctly priced.

    Judo-snip
    Hi Tim, top-posting is bad, read it carefully "top-posting is bad"
    If suckers are dumb enough to pay for it, it's their fault.
    shit, I'll sell you a used 85 toyota corolla for $18000
    Just because I want to charge you it, doesnt mean that someone wil buy it.

    > Or is that where you work Dave and is this why they can afford to pay you to
    > spend all day on the net? That would explain it.

    nope, don't work there, but we do get many of our office supplies from
    there, although, we seem to get a better discount than you :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 28, 2004
  8. K T T

    Tim Guest

    Hey, I don't shop there so don't get a discount. There is a lot of stupidity
    in the way these operations work. Joe Blow walks in the door, sees rip off
    pricing, walks out and notes never to return. Joe owns own company and
    directs staff not to purchase from the rip off merchants.

    If you as an individual wish to seek the best price you can, well thats an
    individuals ethical choice. When it is a choice made and perpetuated within
    a company that is something very deliberate, protracted (IE board room to
    shop floor), and unnecessary.

    Who do they think they are kidding when they might sell an occasional
    printer at RRP x 2? The customers that won't come back? The customers that
    they lose before they make their 1st sale to? No, Only themselves and they
    are likley being dishonest to their shareholders too.

    It is greed, unblinkered greed that has no benefit to either the seller of
    the buyer.

    Tim, Jul 28, 2004
  9. K T T

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:30:11 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >Who do they think they are kidding when they might sell an occasional
    >printer at RRP x 2? The customers that won't come back? The customers that
    >they lose before they make their 1st sale to? No, Only themselves and they
    >are likley being dishonest to their shareholders too.
    >
    >It is greed, unblinkered greed that has no benefit to either the seller of
    >the buyer.

    It's just the way it is. It's a trade supplier, not so much retail.

    I guess you wouldn't like the way trade ppl price jobs either. If they're busy
    and they have more work than they can handle they still price jobs, just at
    massively inflated prices.

    Craig Shore, Jul 28, 2004
  10. In article <ce6vpr$6m1$>,
    says...
    > Checking pricing for an ordinary MS optical usb mouse (the basic
    > cheapest one) which is about $30 at computer stores an Warehouse
    > Stationery, I rang Boise office supplies where the company I work for
    > has an account, Boise wanted $73 bucks. Stuff that.

    MS have 6 optical mice in this category, with RRP ranging from $39 to
    $99.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004
  11. K T T

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    Craig Shore <> wrote:

    > It's just the way it is. It's a trade supplier, not so much retail.
    >
    > I guess you wouldn't like the way trade ppl price jobs either. If they're
    > busy
    > and they have more work than they can handle they still price jobs, just at
    > massively inflated prices.

    My guess is that they are catering primarily for the larger
    organisations and wannabes who infest opulent high-rises at exorbitant
    rents with elegant furnishings and secretarial staff, drive beamers and
    use gigantic plasma screens etc and who just want to fax through an
    office supplies order without wasting time shopping around.

    The guys who are trying harder, roll their sleeves up and get their gear
    from Warehouse Stationary or the like. To each his own.

    ------
    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    IRO, Jul 28, 2004
  12. K T T

    K T T Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <ce6vpr$6m1$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Checking pricing for an ordinary MS optical usb mouse (the basic
    >>cheapest one) which is about $30 at computer stores an Warehouse
    >>Stationery, I rang Boise office supplies where the company I work for
    >>has an account, Boise wanted $73 bucks. Stuff that.

    > MS have 6 optical mice in this category, with RRP ranging from $39 to
    > $99.

    Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1, PS/2 & USB

    This is the one going for $33 at Ascent that Boise wants $73 for.

    K T T, Jul 28, 2004
  13. K T T

    Chris Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in news:ce7los$uet$:

    > No Dave. Blatant rip off. Read it carefully "blatant rip off". There
    > is no other description the product was over twice RRP and they had
    > the audacity to say it was correctly priced. If they are so
    > incompetent that they need to mark up beyond RRP and then claim the
    > pricing is correct, they should not be in business. I do not shop
    > there. I do not recommend anyone shop there. No one should have to
    > come from a large corporate just to get RRP. No one should have to
    > spend thousands of dollars a month to get respectable pricing. They do
    > not need to do this. If their main thrust of income was from
    > corporates only via online / telephone sales with repeat orders etc.
    > then they would not need showrooms and the public would not walk in.
    > Do you think it is OK for them to rip off some old granny who thinks
    > they are investing wisely in EG a printer for grandson for christmas
    > and be treated as though they were an American citizen? I don't, thats
    > why I live in NZ - companies like that do not have ethics and do not
    > deserve to be in business. Or is that where you work Dave and is this
    > why they can afford to pay you to spend all day on the net? That would
    > explain it.
    >
    > - Tim

    Woha !

    RRP = Recommended Retail Price - so their pricing IS correct, from their
    point of view. When time is money, ppl just fork out the $ cause they
    don't have the time (or ability) to research out the price.

    Chris, Jul 28, 2004
  14. K T T

    Chris Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <ce6vpr$6m1$>,
    > says...
    >> Checking pricing for an ordinary MS optical usb mouse (the basic
    >> cheapest one) which is about $30 at computer stores an Warehouse
    >> Stationery, I rang Boise office supplies where the company I work for
    >> has an account, Boise wanted $73 bucks. Stuff that.

    > MS have 6 optical mice in this category, with RRP ranging from $39 to
    > $99.

    Don't forget the MS Bluetooth Optical mouse - around the $138 - that might
    be including GST

    Chris, Jul 28, 2004
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 28, 2004
  16. In article <41079fe8$>, says...
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <ce6vpr$6m1$>,
    > > says...
    > >> Checking pricing for an ordinary MS optical usb mouse (the basic
    > >> cheapest one) which is about $30 at computer stores an Warehouse
    > >> Stationery, I rang Boise office supplies where the company I work for
    > >> has an account, Boise wanted $73 bucks. Stuff that.

    > > MS have 6 optical mice in this category, with RRP ranging from $39 to
    > > $99.
    > >

    > Don't forget the MS Bluetooth Optical mouse - around the $138 - that might
    > be including GST

    That is a wireless product, there are 3 wireless products

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004
  17. K T T

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:30:11 +1200, Tim wrote:

    > Who do they think they are kidding when they might sell an occasional
    > printer at RRP x 2? The customers that won't come back? The customers that
    > they lose before they make their 1st sale to? No, Only themselves and they
    > are likley being dishonest to their shareholders too.
    >
    > It is greed, unblinkered greed that has no benefit to either the seller of
    > the buyer.

    It sounds to me more like their business model is based on a few large
    buyers rather than tons of little ones. Not being a customer of theirs I'm
    basing that opinion the talk of large volume discounts not on actual
    experience.

    Not talking specifically about Boise specifically anymore...

    It is a lot more expensive to support many smaller irregular buyers than a
    few larger buyers with regular large orders and formal ordering systems.

    To me they could be (legitimately) trying to discourage small one off
    sales without denying them altogether.

    They could also have have guaranteed stock levels and a stable catalogue
    etc that smaller companies can't handle. Once you are a large regular
    buyer, your criteria for selecting a supplier is different from a smaller
    buyer who is picking and choosing based on price alone. The cost of
    managing the whole ordering process in a large firm quickly outweighs
    relatively minor price differences - reliable stock levels (without the
    actual available SKUs changing all the time) and delivery with
    minimum ordering and billing fuss are more important to larger buyers.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 29, 2004
  18. K T T

    Tim Guest

    I agree! But why then have a shop?
    If you aren't going to make an honest attempt then don't slur your name with
    a rip off shop.
    Its like I said before. I know many company managers and directors who would
    not hestitate to form an opinion as I did. Many of these companies are small
    now, not all of them will remain that way.
    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 29, 2004
  19. K T T

    K T T Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > K T T wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=113398
    >> Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1, PS/2 & USB
    >> This is the one going for $33 at Ascent that Boise wants $73 for.

    > $27+GST according to my local office.(Dunedin)

    If only the Hamilton branch was as enlightened.

    $73 was probably the price for that mouse when it was first released,
    way back then. Times have changed and its off to Warehouse Stationery I go!

    K T T, Jul 29, 2004
  20. K T T

    Matt B Guest

    In news:ce6vpr$6m1$,
    K T T <> wrote:
    > Checking pricing for an ordinary MS optical usb mouse (the basic
    > cheapest one) which is about $30 at computer stores an Warehouse
    > Stationery, I rang Boise office supplies where the company I work for
    > has an account, Boise wanted $73 bucks. Stuff that.

    Really? I got a box of 5 from them last month for ~$130
    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    There are 10 types of people.