BOINC version 4.05 - The skinny.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Here is the absolute latest from Rom Walton, a senior programmer with
    Berkeley:

    "For those who want to get a jump start on the 4.x upgrade, go ahead
    and signup to CPDN and upgrade the client. Then when S@H has upgraded
    to the 4.x version you'll automatically start downloading S@H
    workunits."

    For those that missed it here is the link to version 4.05 of Boinc:
    http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/download.php
    You do NOT need to sign up, just download and then install right over
    your current version. After it installs it will try to connect but of
    course will error out with "no schedulers responded" or "You need major
    version 3".

    However, as I haven't had any WUs for a while anyway I'm going to 4.05 on
    all my machines. It seems that there won't be any other work for the 3.x
    clients anyway.

    The latest news from the website:

    August 28, 2004
    The migration plan has been reschedule for tomorrow the 29th at 10am PDT. We
    have brought down the scheduler and file upload handler until the migration
    happens to give the splitters and transitioners time to produce enough
    workunits and results to send out after the migration when the clients reset
    themselves.

    August 27, 2004
    Well the last set of hardware issues have been resolved. Due to the time of
    day and other factors the upgrade will be delayed until at least tomorrow
    morning. We'll post the revised schedule as soon as plans have been firmed
    up.

    August 27, 2004
    We are currently experiencing a hardware issue with our scheduling server,
    we expect this issues resolved within the hour. The upgrade to 4.x will
    start around 11am PDT and will take roughly an hour. Anybody who has any
    remaining results to report should get them in before the upgrade, after the
    upgrade you'll need the 4.x clients to report new results, and upgrading to
    the 4.x client will reset the project on your machine. Roughly 100,000
    results are queued up and ready to be sent out after the upgrade, plus the
    three splitters will be up and running producing work as quickly as
    possible.

    So my suggestion to team members is, if you don't have any WUs or just have
    'stuck' WUs (they will never go through BTW) it would probably be a good
    idea to upgrade to version 4.05. Your choice, however Rom Walton is a senior
    progammer for BOINC at Berkeley and if he says it's the way to get a jump on
    the WUs I'll believe him.

    One thing, the client will try a few times then say "Will retry in 1 day".
    You may want to manually update before that. Or not, if you set it up now.

    Does anyone know when "10am PDT on the 29th" is in NZ time?

    Happy crunching!
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    Dogg Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >However, as I haven't had any WUs for a while anyway I'm going to 4.05 on
    >all my machines. It seems that there won't be any other work for the 3.x
    >clients anyway.

    <snip>

    Same here. I'm getting "No schedulers responded" currently but when
    the 4.x work units start coming in it'll be crunching city!
    Dogg, Aug 29, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    >> However, as I haven't had any WUs for a while anyway I'm going to
    >> 4.05 on all my machines. It seems that there won't be any other work
    >> for the 3.x clients anyway.
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > Same here. I'm getting "No schedulers responded" currently but when
    > the 4.x work units start coming in it'll be crunching city!

    Yep, gotta get the jump on the other thousands of people who will be
    installing the 4.05 client when it's posted on the SETI site.

    I can see that my current hold on P2 in the nz.comp group is gonna be under
    threat with all those machines you have running. Dave is climbing up there
    too. :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "For those who want to get a jump start on the 4.x upgrade, go ahead
    > and signup to CPDN and upgrade the client. Then when S@H has upgraded
    > to the 4.x version you'll automatically start downloading S@H
    > workunits."

    Ta, misfit.

    Downloading 4.05 now. :)
    steve, Aug 29, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > For those that missed it here is the link to version 4.05 of Boinc:
    > http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/download.php
    > You do NOT need to sign up, just download and then install right over
    > your current version. After it installs it will try to connect but of
    > course will error out with "no schedulers responded" or "You need major
    > version 3".

    I downloaded and compiled the boinc_client 4.06.

    Can't seem to find good source code for Seti-Boinc (non-classic) that will
    compile for Linux on the x86_64 platform. :eek:(

    Divine

    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
    and everything.
    Divine, Aug 29, 2004
  6. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I can see that my current hold on P2 in the nz.comp group is gonna be under
    > threat with all those machines you have running. Dave is climbing up there
    > too. :)

    the difference would be a damn site smaller if I could upload completed
    units... my home machine has 25, and the work one another 30 odd.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 29, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I can see that my current hold on P2 in the nz.comp group is gonna
    >> be under threat with all those machines you have running. Dave is
    >> climbing up there too. :)

    > the difference would be a damn site smaller if I could upload
    > completed units... my home machine has 25, and the work one another
    > 30 odd.

    Ummm, yeah. I had a big bunch of those too. I think those could be what are
    being refered to in this gem from the SETI site:

    *****************************

    August 26, 2004
    We fixed the bogus URL bug and all servers are back up. If your cache is
    empty of all valid workunits and you have any of the bogus workunits, then
    reset the project.

    August 26, 2004
    We have brought down the splitters, transitioners, and scheduler until a bug
    in the splitter can be resolved which was causing a bogus URL to be posted
    for the work-unit.

    ****************************

    I asked a few people "in the know" what was meant by "bogus workunits" and
    was told that, if they won't upload, they're bogus workunits. They're trying
    to upload to a URL that doesn't exist. Sorry to say old son that they were a
    waste of time, they aren't going anywhere. If I was you I'd reset the
    project or just install 4.05 which resets it anyway.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    Dogg Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    <snippity doo daa>

    Upgraded all my machines to 4.05 and one of them actually got some
    WU's this morning!
    Dogg, Aug 30, 2004
  9. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:53:18 +1200, Dogg
    <doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    ><snippity doo daa>
    >
    >Upgraded all my machines to 4.05 and one of them actually got some
    >WU's this morning!

    I got 10 about lunchtime, so I'm away again.
    Bret, Aug 30, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    Dogg wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:51:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snippity doo daa>
    >
    > Upgraded all my machines to 4.05 and one of them actually got some
    > WU's this morning!

    All mine have WUs now.

    One must have had some of the bogus WUs as it would not download any new
    ones until I deleted all the files (except the executable) and reset the
    project on that system.

    It then registered on the BOINC site as a new system, but I was able to
    "merge" its previous incarnation into the new system using the "merge"
    option.
    steve, Aug 30, 2004
  11. steve wrote:
    >>Upgraded all my machines to 4.05 and one of them actually got some
    >>WU's this morning!

    > All mine have WUs now.

    heh, full WU, not computing at all though.

    any ideas?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 30, 2004
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >>> Upgraded all my machines to 4.05 and one of them actually got some
    >>> WU's this morning!

    >> All mine have WUs now.

    > heh, full WU, not computing at all though.
    >
    > any ideas?

    Reset. I had the same problem. Fixed now, all machines have full caches.
    Some too full <g>, if the servers stay up I might have to drop my cache size
    so I can switch a machine or two off if the power bill starts to get too
    high and the WUs won't expire.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 30, 2004
  13. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >>>Upgraded all my machines to 4.05 and one of them actually got some
    >>>WU's this morning!

    >> All mine have WUs now.

    > heh, full WU, not computing at all though.
    >
    > any ideas?

    I just noticed mine had been on the same WU since 11:23am....and this system
    usually turns a WU around in under 3 hours.

    I stopped and re-started it.

    The BOINC web server appears to be hacked / down / stuffed / whatever.
    steve, Aug 30, 2004
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> All mine have WUs now.

    >> heh, full WU, not computing at all though.
    >>
    >> any ideas?

    > I just noticed mine had been on the same WU since 11:23am....and this
    > system usually turns a WU around in under 3 hours.
    >
    > I stopped and re-started it.
    >
    > The BOINC web server appears to be hacked / down / stuffed / whatever.

    Hmmm, I haven't heard of this. Teething problems maybe.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 30, 2004
  15. ~misfit~

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:48:55 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> The BOINC web server appears to be hacked / down / stuffed / whatever.

    > Hmmm, I haven't heard of this. Teething problems maybe.

    Major hardware issue from what I've read - they've switched everything
    completely off - including even the apache server. More info as it comes
    to hand.

    Divine

    --
    Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000
    Service Pack 2."
    Divine, Aug 30, 2004
  16. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>heh, full WU, not computing at all though.
    >>any ideas?

    > Reset. I had the same problem.

    cranking now

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 30, 2004
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:48:55 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>> The BOINC web server appears to be hacked / down / stuffed /
    >>> whatever.

    >> Hmmm, I haven't heard of this. Teething problems maybe.

    > Major hardware issue from what I've read - they've switched everything
    > completely off - including even the apache server. More info as it
    > comes to hand.

    Yep:

    August 30, 2004
    The boinc server farm is having hardware problems and so the servers and
    website have been turned off. We'll post an ETA for coming back up as we
    know more.

    So I hope everybody got full caches. My fastest machine only got about
    two-three days worth (Damn!), the others got a weeks worth.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2004
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> heh, full WU, not computing at all though.
    >>> any ideas?

    >> Reset. I had the same problem.

    > cranking now

    Good man.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2004
  19. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > So I hope everybody got full caches. My fastest machine only got about
    > two-three days worth (Damn!), the others got a weeks worth.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    My main system has a full cache....but hadn't complete a WU in a couple of
    days.

    Hmm...usually takes 2:40-ish.

    Did a TOP and found a disconnected ROOT session running NANO eating 83%+ of
    CPU for the past 6 days!!!

    That will teach me to use that "new shell" option on the console. I'd left a
    root session logged in - out of sight, out of mind.
    steve, Aug 31, 2004
  20. ~misfit~

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:46:31 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> So I hope everybody got full caches. My fastest machine only got about
    >> two-three days worth (Damn!), the others got a weeks worth.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    >My main system has a full cache....but hadn't complete a WU in a couple of
    >days.
    >
    >Hmm...usually takes 2:40-ish.
    >
    >Did a TOP and found a disconnected ROOT session running NANO eating 83%+ of
    >CPU for the past 6 days!!!
    >
    >That will teach me to use that "new shell" option on the console. I'd left a
    >root session logged in - out of sight, out of mind.

    DOH!
    Dogg, Sep 1, 2004