    Maybe I should have set them to 90/10 (relative processing) but I didn't
    want to take too long in returning the CPDN WUs or I wouldn't get any
    credit for them.
    steve, Aug 31, 2004

  2. steve

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:31:36 +1200, steve wrote:

    > I've signed up for the CPDN (Climate Prediction Network) project and set the
    > processing preferences to 67% SETI / 33% CPDN.

    Dude - look for the brand new nz.comp team at CPDN. :eek:)

    http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/team_display.php?teamid=299

    > About a 1/3 of my systems had no WUs from SETI, so I though setting them all
    > up for the climate project would be a good idea.

    I'm inclined to the opinion that Climate Prediction is a better cause than
    looking for aliens.

    I'll finish crunching my SETI WUs on the only box that managed to get
    uncorrupted WUs (about another week's work), and then I'm gonna move all
    my boxen over to CPDN. Hopefully their setup will be much more stable.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
    Divine, Aug 31, 2004

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    Divine wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:31:36 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >> I've signed up for the CPDN (Climate Prediction Network) project and set
    >> the processing preferences to 67% SETI / 33% CPDN.

    > Dude - look for the brand new nz.comp team at CPDN. :eek:)
    >
    > http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/team_display.php?teamid=299

    OK! I'm all joined up. I guess I'll show when I actually get some credits. I
    have 6 systems working on it 33% of the time, so it should be soon.

    >> About a 1/3 of my systems had no WUs from SETI, so I though setting them
    >> all up for the climate project would be a good idea.

    > I'm inclined to the opinion that Climate Prediction is a better cause than
    > looking for aliens.
    >
    > I'll finish crunching my SETI WUs on the only box that managed to get
    > uncorrupted WUs (about another week's work), and then I'm gonna move all
    > my boxen over to CPDN. Hopefully their setup will be much more stable.

    When SETI came along, I thought: "I'll stick with that as long as they run
    it."....and have been running flat out 24/7 on at least 7 systems (max was
    11) for over 5 years.

    So even moving 33% of that resource away is a HUGE step for me. :)
    steve, Aug 31, 2004
  4. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:10:29 +1200, Divine wrote:

    > I'm inclined to the opinion that Climate Prediction is a better cause than
    > looking for aliens.

    Hell, why try to predict it? With all those cpu cycles, you could try
    altering it!!!

    :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 31, 2004
  5. steve

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:40:01 +1200, steve wrote:

    > When SETI came along, I thought: "I'll stick with that as long as they
    > run it."....and have been running flat out 24/7 on at least 7 systems
    > (max was 11) for over 5 years.
    >
    > So even moving 33% of that resource away is a HUGE step for me. :)

    Cool!

    It appears that the groups at CPDN don't have as many people per group. I
    think that we'd stand a good chance of achieving a reasonably good
    position.

    SETI - I'm contemplating just dumping it altogether in favour of CPDN,
    given that there are AGAIN server problems preventing upload of SETI
    results. :eek:(

    Divine

    Divine, Aug 31, 2004
  6. steve

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:16:25 +1200, AD. wrote:

    >> I'm inclined to the opinion that Climate Prediction is a better cause than
    >> looking for aliens.

    > Hell, why try to predict it? With all those cpu cycles, you could try
    > altering it!!!

    LOL - global warming through massive heat discharge from Intel Pentium 4
    CPUs. ;o)

    Divine

    Divine, Aug 31, 2004
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    Divine wrote:

    > SETI - I'm contemplating just dumping it altogether in favour of CPDN,
    > given that there are AGAIN server problems preventing upload of SETI
    > results. :eek:(

    The results info at CPDN works fine.

    It helped me debug the fact that my Debian "Woody" mail server (very
    stripped down software set) was actually failing at a critical point in the
    WU processing due to a library it expected to be there not being there.

    About 6 CPDN Wus had failed with "client error"...and included the
    information from the failed program.

    I did an apt-get install on the base glibc package....and it's all sorted
    now.

    If that had happened with SETI...I would never have known what the problem
    was because they have turned the results info off.
    steve, Aug 31, 2004
  8. steve

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:11:14 +1200, steve wrote:

    > The results info at CPDN works fine.

    Yeah!

    > It helped me debug the fact that my Debian "Woody" mail server (very
    > stripped down software set) was actually failing at a critical point in the
    > WU processing due to a library it expected to be there not being there.
    >
    > About 6 CPDN Wus had failed with "client error"...and included the
    > information from the failed program.
    >
    > I did an apt-get install on the base glibc package....and it's all sorted
    > now.
    >
    > If that had happened with SETI...I would never have known what the problem
    > was because they have turned the results info off.

    Yeah - I dunno why that should be the case. :eek:(

    Perhaps CPDN figured out some stuff that the people at SETI have yet to
    get their brains around?

    Divine

    Divine, Aug 31, 2004
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    Divine wrote:

    >> If that had happened with SETI...I would never have known what the
    >> problem was because they have turned the results info off.

    > Yeah - I dunno why that should be the case. :eek:(
    >
    > Perhaps CPDN figured out some stuff that the people at SETI have yet to
    > get their brains around?

    I think it's partly a scale issue.

    CPDN has about 5,000 users right now...and I gather that S@H's BOINC beta
    ran fairly well with more users than that.

    But when they went to 50,000.....the system choked. Just too many doing too
    much. We may see the same with CPND if it ever becomes as populars as the
    SETI project on the BOINC platform.

    ....and to ensure I'm on topic: Isn't nz.comp great?
    steve, Aug 31, 2004
  10. steve wrote:
    > ....and to ensure I'm on topic: Isn't nz.comp great?

    yeah... it sure is.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 31, 2004
  11. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:

    <snip>

    > ...and to ensure I'm on topic: Isn't nz.comp great?

    It sure is. However, you were on-topic anyway. It's about distributed
    computing, which is on-topic in a "comp" group.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 1, 2004