    downloads enough work to keep its host busy for a user-specifiable
    amount of time." Where is this set?

    I am on dial-up so don't have permanent online connection.

    GraB, Mar 11, 2005

  2. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Just changed from older SETI client to BOINC. Seems to get through
    > work quicker, keep running out of work. I read that "The core client
    > downloads enough work to keep its host busy for a user-specifiable
    > amount of time." Where is this set?

    There's a web-page where you can set it. I think you punch your account code
    in the first time and from then on you get cookied in. Can't remember
    excatly, it's been a while since I set BOINC up.

    > I am on dial-up so don't have permanent online connection.

    You can set it to ask you if it can connect.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2005

  3. GraB

    Peter H. Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:18:53 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >Just changed from older SETI client to BOINC. Seems to get through
    >work quicker, keep running out of work. I read that "The core client
    >downloads enough work to keep its host busy for a user-specifiable
    >amount of time." Where is this set?
    >
    >I am on dial-up so don't have permanent online connection.

    Via"Your account " on the boinc website. Go to General Preferences and
    change the "Connect to network about every " setting. I have mine set
    to 3 days. Don't set it to high otherwise you will be working on units
    that have expired.

    Hope this helps.

    Peter H., Mar 11, 2005
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:31:50 +1300, Peter H. <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:18:53 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just changed from older SETI client to BOINC. Seems to get through
    >>work quicker, keep running out of work. I read that "The core client
    >>downloads enough work to keep its host busy for a user-specifiable
    >>amount of time." Where is this set?
    >>
    >>I am on dial-up so don't have permanent online connection.

    >Via"Your account " on the boinc website. Go to General Preferences and
    >change the "Connect to network about every " setting. I have mine set
    >to 3 days. Don't set it to high otherwise you will be working on units
    >that have expired.
    >
    >Hope this helps.

    Thanks. I have found that. Set it to 1 day, trys to download 9 units
    but message says "Suspending computation and network activity - user
    is active" (what do they mean?) Haven't been able to get any new
    work since yesterday.

    I also notice that their statistics don't seem to be too up-to-date.
    They say I have done 287 units as of 14 May 04. With the new CPU I
    have done well over that now.

    GraB, Mar 12, 2005
  5. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:31:50 +1300, Peter H. <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:18:53 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just changed from older SETI client to BOINC. Seems to get through
    >>> work quicker, keep running out of work. I read that "The core
    >>> client downloads enough work to keep its host busy for a
    >>> user-specifiable amount of time." Where is this set?
    >>>
    >>> I am on dial-up so don't have permanent online connection.

    >> Via"Your account " on the boinc website. Go to General Preferences
    >> and change the "Connect to network about every " setting. I have
    >> mine set to 3 days. Don't set it to high otherwise you will be
    >> working on units that have expired.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.

    > Thanks. I have found that. Set it to 1 day, trys to download 9 units
    > but message says "Suspending computation and network activity - user
    > is active" (what do they mean?) Haven't been able to get any new
    > work since yesterday.

    You have your preferences set to only crunch and up/download when you aren't
    using the machine. These can be changed at the web site or you can click
    file and hit 'always run or 'download now''. (I think, I'm doing SETI
    classic at the moment).

    > I also notice that their statistics don't seem to be too up-to-date.
    > They say I have done 287 units as of 14 May 04. With the new CPU I
    > have done well over that now.

    With BOINC you have to wait for two other people to return the same unit
    with the same result as you and then they have to be compared and accredited
    by the server. All three copies of the unit are sent out on the same day but
    may return at various times depending on the speed/settings of the others.
    If all three aren't recevied within 14 days as many pories of the unit as
    are needed to get three returns are re-sent out. Therefore it can take a
    while for your credit to start rolling in. Once it does however it seems to
    come in at the same speed as you are crunching.

    I hope you are a member of the nz.comp SETI BOINC team. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 12, 2005

  6. > I hope you are a member of the nz.comp SETI BOINC team. :)

    Im in a philanthrapist (sp?) mood.. how do I donate my spare proc cycles?
    and how do I join the nz.comp team?

    \|/ ____ \|/
    "@'/ ,. \'@"
    /__|\__/|__\
    \__U_/

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 12, 2005
  7. On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:21:40 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >> I hope you are a member of the nz.comp SETI BOINC team. :)

    > Im in a philanthrapist (sp?) mood.. how do I donate my spare proc cycles?
    > and how do I join the nz.comp team?

    nevermind.. found it ... found the team .. running the trojan laden
    executable :-D

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 12, 2005
  8. GraB

    steve Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Just changed from older SETI client to BOINC. Seems to get through
    > work quicker, keep running out of work. I read that "The core client
    > downloads enough work to keep its host busy for a user-specifiable
    > amount of time." Where is this set?

    On the web site......edit preferences.

    Then tell your client to update. Assume you use Windows? Just point and
    click on one of the menus. I forget which one. I use the Linux command
    line client - started in the background at bootup by a small script.

    steve, Mar 12, 2005
  9. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:21:40 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >

    >>> I hope you are a member of the nz.comp SETI BOINC team. :)

    >> Im in a philanthrapist (sp?) mood.. how do I donate my spare proc
    >> cycles? and how do I join the nz.comp team?

    > nevermind.. found it ... found the team .. running the trojan laden
    > executable :-D

    LOL, thanks for joining.

    Cheers,
    --