    Happy crunching!
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 12, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    Dogg Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:36:50 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=30823
    >
    >Everything seems to be working fine with BOINC now, the servers are all
    >serving well and have been for a few days.
    >
    >Happy crunching!

    I joined the group the other day and now my machines are actually
    getting something to do, all is going well :)

    Dogg, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Dogg wrote:
    >>http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=30823
    >>Everything seems to be working fine with BOINC now, the servers are all
    >>serving well and have been for a few days.

    > I joined the group the other day and now my machines are actually
    > getting something to do, all is going well :)

    I just set up my new work machine, but havent got round to boinc'ing it
    yet... it should be doing it from this afternoon.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=30823
    >>> Everything seems to be working fine with BOINC now, the servers are all
    >>> serving well and have been for a few days.

    >> I joined the group the other day and now my machines are actually
    >> getting something to do, all is going well :)

    > I just set up my new work machine, but havent got round to boinc'ing it
    > yet... it should be doing it from this afternoon.

    heh, just discovered I have a prescott... wow, it's warm and loud.

    I could toast marshmellows with this baby, although I wouldn't be able
    to hear for long.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 12, 2004

    another boinc project... this ones a folding @ home type project.
    http://predictor.scripps.edu/

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2004
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> I joined the group the other day and now my machines are actually
    >>> getting something to do, all is going well :)

    >> I just set up my new work machine, but havent got round to boinc'ing
    >> it yet... it should be doing it from this afternoon.

    > heh, just discovered I have a prescott... wow, it's warm and loud.

    Heh, a Presc-HOT.

    > I could toast marshmellows with this baby, although I wouldn't be able
    > to hear for long.

    From what I hear, you could spit-roast a suckling pig. <g>.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:36:50 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >> http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=30823
    >>
    >> Everything seems to be working fine with BOINC now, the servers are
    >> all serving well and have been for a few days.
    >>
    >> Happy crunching!

    > I joined the group the other day and now my machines are actually
    > getting something to do, all is going well :)

    Excellent.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> I just set up my new work machine, but havent got round to boinc'ing
    >>> it yet... it should be doing it from this afternoon.

    >> heh, just discovered I have a prescott... wow, it's warm and loud.

    > another boinc project... this ones a folding @ home type project.
    > http://predictor.scripps.edu/

    Yep, that's the good thing about BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for
    Networked Computing), they've made the source-code freely available so
    anyone can write a routine for it to compute whatever they can talk people
    into crunching., all using the same client. Nice idea.

    See my BOINC profile for my views on other projects:

    http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=149775

    (Not a good picture but it was all I could find at the time, I'll upload a
    better one of me looking my handsomest at a later date).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2004
  9. ~misfit~

    Steven H Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:52:17 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> heh, just discovered I have a prescott... wow, it's warm and loud.

    >> another boinc project... this ones a folding @ home type project.
    >> http://predictor.scripps.edu/

    > Yep, that's the good thing about BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for
    > Networked Computing), they've made the source-code freely available so
    > anyone can write a routine for it to compute whatever they can talk people
    > into crunching., all using the same client. Nice idea.
    >
    > See my BOINC profile for my views on other projects:
    >
    > http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=149775
    >
    > (Not a good picture but it was all I could find at the time, I'll upload a
    > better one of me looking my handsomest at a later date).

    ok, somehow i had this contrieved notion that i "what the hell may as well"
    join the rest of you freaks and look for little green men :)

    so well i did - computers running 24/7 may as well do something usefull
    when iam sleeping.

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek

    Steven H, Jul 13, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    Petrushka Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > another boinc project... this ones a folding @ home type project.
    > http://predictor.scripps.edu/

    I'm a bit concerned about this project - they make no statement about
    ownership or otherwise of intellectual property resulting from work
    done. I'm unwilling to give my CPU time to commercial interests. I know
    they're a university, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

    --
    de_meun at yahoo d0t com | Wellington, NZ

    Petrushka, Jul 13, 2004
  11. Petrushka wrote:
    >> another boinc project... this ones a folding @ home type project.
    >> http://predictor.scripps.edu/

    > I'm a bit concerned about this project - they make no statement about
    > ownership or otherwise of intellectual property resulting from work
    > done. I'm unwilling to give my CPU time to commercial interests. I know
    > they're a university, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

    ok then... tried emailing them?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2004
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:52:17 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> another boinc project... this ones a folding @ home type project.
    >>> http://predictor.scripps.edu/

    >> Yep, that's the good thing about BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure
    >> for Networked Computing), they've made the source-code freely
    >> available so anyone can write a routine for it to compute whatever
    >> they can talk people into crunching., all using the same client.
    >> Nice idea.
    >>
    >> See my BOINC profile for my views on other projects:
    >>
    >> http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=149775
    >>
    >> (Not a good picture but it was all I could find at the time, I'll
    >> upload a better one of me looking my handsomest at a later date).

    > ok, somehow i had this contrieved notion that i "what the hell may as
    > well" join the rest of you freaks and look for little green men :)
    >
    > so well i did - computers running 24/7 may as well do something
    > usefull when iam sleeping.

    Good man.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2004
  13. ~misfit~

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:15:42 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > heh, just discovered I have a prescott... wow, it's warm and loud.
    >
    > I could toast marshmellows with this baby, although I wouldn't be able to
    > hear for long.

    Don't ya love it. AMD went through a hot phase a coupla years ago. Intel
    is now doing the same...

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

    Divine, Jul 13, 2004
  14. ~misfit~

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:35:50 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> I could toast marshmellows with this baby, although I wouldn't be able
    >> to hear for long.

    > From what I hear, you could spit-roast a suckling pig. <g>

    I've read stories of people melting MOBOs with prescotts.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    Divine, Jul 13, 2004
  15. ~misfit~

    Petrushka Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Petrushka wrote:
    >>> another boinc project... this ones a folding @ home type project.
    >>> http://predictor.scripps.edu/

    >> I'm a bit concerned about this project - they make no statement about
    >> ownership or otherwise of intellectual property resulting from work
    >> done. I'm unwilling to give my CPU time to commercial interests. I
    >> know they're a university, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

    > ok then... tried emailing them?

    Yes, I have. I'm hoping this is just an oversight - they are still at
    the alpha stage, after all.

    --
    de_meun at yahoo d0t com | Wellington, NZ

    Petrushka, Jul 13, 2004
  16. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Good man.

    are you getting many computation errors?
    about 1 in 8 at work get them
    and 1 in ~20 at home.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 16, 2004
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Good man.

    > are you getting many computation errors?
    > about 1 in 8 at work get them
    > and 1 in ~20 at home.

    I've only had one that I know of.
    --