    seems like there is nothing that prevents legs from closing
    accidently.
    Thanks

    Vadim, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Vadim

    Charlie Self Guest

    Vadim asks:

    >Sorry for a stupid question. I just bought Bogen /Manfrotto 3001
    >tripod. I like it a lot, but there is one thing that confuses me. Is
    >it possible to lock the legs so they won't move toward the center? It
    >seems like there is nothing that prevents legs from closing
    >accidently.

    Whack them and they may. I've got the same, or a very similar, Bogen. It works
    just fine. I've had it in all sorts of positions and it has never closed to the
    center on me. The little bit of camera weight on the top, plus the spread of
    the legs, keeps them open. My guess is that if you use too little of the
    available spread, you're asking for trouble, though. I do wish I had gone one
    step heavier, which does have braces, but (and I could be wrong here) I've
    always thought the leg braces were to keep the tripod from spreading under the
    weight of a heavy camera, while also providing extra strength.

    Charlie Self
    "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves."
    Dorothy Parker

    Charlie Self, Jan 17, 2004

  3. Vadim

    Mark M Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > Vadim asks:
    >
    > >Sorry for a stupid question. I just bought Bogen /Manfrotto 3001
    > >tripod. I like it a lot, but there is one thing that confuses me. Is
    > >it possible to lock the legs so they won't move toward the center? It
    > >seems like there is nothing that prevents legs from closing
    > >accidently.

    > Whack them and they may. I've got the same, or a very similar, Bogen. It

    works
    > just fine. I've had it in all sorts of positions and it has never closed

    to the
    > center on me. The little bit of camera weight on the top, plus the spread

    of
    > the legs, keeps them open. My guess is that if you use too little of the
    > available spread, you're asking for trouble, though. I do wish I had gone

    one
    > step heavier, which does have braces, but (and I could be wrong here) I've
    > always thought the leg braces were to keep the tripod from spreading under

    the
    > weight of a heavy camera, while also providing extra strength.

    I don't think that's what his problem is.
    When you've got your camera on a tripod, and want to move the whole rig with
    one hand, it would be nice it you could lift it from the top without the
    legs sagging in toweard the middle. I would like this very much, but...as
    the post suggests...there is nothing to lock the legs in the open position.

    Mark M, Jan 17, 2004
  4. Vadim

    Jimmy Guest

    "Vadim" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry for a stupid question. I just bought Bogen /Manfrotto 3001
    > tripod. I like it a lot, but there is one thing that confuses me. Is
    > it possible to lock the legs so they won't move toward the center? It
    > seems like there is nothing that prevents legs from closing
    > accidently.
    > Thanks

    The legs lock at 4 different angles.
    http://www.bogenimaging.us/product_temp/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=102&itemid=770

    Jimmy, Jan 17, 2004
  5. Vadim

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Mark M wrote:

    > "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > > Vadim asks:
    > >
    > > >Sorry for a stupid question. I just bought Bogen /Manfrotto 3001
    > > >tripod. I like it a lot, but there is one thing that confuses me. Is
    > > >it possible to lock the legs so they won't move toward the center? It
    > > >seems like there is nothing that prevents legs from closing
    > > >accidently.

    > > Whack them and they may. I've got the same, or a very similar, Bogen. It

    > works
    > > just fine. I've had it in all sorts of positions and it has never closed

    > to the
    > > center on me. The little bit of camera weight on the top, plus the spread

    > of
    > > the legs, keeps them open. My guess is that if you use too little of the
    > > available spread, you're asking for trouble, though. I do wish I had gone

    > one
    > > step heavier, which does have braces, but (and I could be wrong here) I've
    > > always thought the leg braces were to keep the tripod from spreading under

    > the
    > > weight of a heavy camera, while also providing extra strength.

    > I don't think that's what his problem is.
    > When you've got your camera on a tripod, and want to move the whole rig with
    > one hand, it would be nice it you could lift it from the top without the
    > legs sagging in toweard the middle. I would like this very much, but...as
    > the post suggests...there is nothing to lock the legs in the open position.

    As another Bogen/Manfrotto user, let me say yes, that would be nice
    Mark!

    On at least some B/M tripods, you can adjust the tension so that the
    legs don't flop closed quite so easily, but I always forget which
    nut/bolt/screw to tighten :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Vadim

    Mark M Guest

    "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message
    > > I don't think that's what his problem is.
    > > When you've got your camera on a tripod, and want to move the whole rig

    with
    > > one hand, it would be nice it you could lift it from the top without the
    > > legs sagging in toweard the middle. I would like this very much,

    but...as
    > > the post suggests...there is nothing to lock the legs in the open

    position.

    > As another Bogen/Manfrotto user, let me say yes, that would be nice
    > Mark!
    >
    > On at least some B/M tripods, you can adjust the tension so that the
    > legs don't flop closed quite so easily, but I always forget which
    > nut/bolt/screw to tighten :)
    >
    > Lisa

    Hi Lisa,

    First time it occurred to me, but this sag-upon-lifting issue might be
    solved by shelling out the $$ for a carbon fiber tripod as I suspect the low
    weight of the legs might prevent this when lifting the rig. (???) I think
    I'll try that at a local shop...

    Mark M, Jan 17, 2004
  7. Vadim

    Mark M Guest

    "Jimmy" <> wrote in message

    > "Vadim" <> wrote in message
    > > Sorry for a stupid question. I just bought Bogen /Manfrotto 3001
    > > tripod. I like it a lot, but there is one thing that confuses me. Is
    > > it possible to lock the legs so they won't move toward the center? It
    > > seems like there is nothing that prevents legs from closing
    > > accidently.
    > > Thanks

    > The legs lock at 4 different angles.

    http://www.bogenimaging.us/product_temp/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=102&itemid=770

    But that's only locked against outward spread...not inward droop upon
    lifting (for relocation without retraction).

    Mark M, Jan 17, 2004
  8. Vadim

    Dave Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "Jimmy" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Vadim" <> wrote in message
    > > > Sorry for a stupid question. I just bought Bogen /Manfrotto 3001
    > > > tripod. I like it a lot, but there is one thing that confuses me. Is
    > > > it possible to lock the legs so they won't move toward the center? It
    > > > seems like there is nothing that prevents legs from closing
    > > > accidently.
    > > > Thanks

    > > The legs lock at 4 different angles.

    http://www.bogenimaging.us/product_temp/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=1
    02&itemid=770

    > But that's only locked against outward spread...not inward droop upon
    > lifting (for relocation without retraction).

    The lock on mine is stiff enough that it prevents the legs from drooping on
    their own, yet I can still adjust them inwards if I need to. Try tightening
    the bolt at the joint.

    Dave
    ..

    Dave, Jan 17, 2004
  9. Vadim

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Mark M wrote:

    > "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message
    > > > I don't think that's what his problem is.
    > > > When you've got your camera on a tripod, and want to move the whole rig

    > with
    > > > one hand, it would be nice it you could lift it from the top without the
    > > > legs sagging in toweard the middle. I would like this very much,

    > but...as
    > > > the post suggests...there is nothing to lock the legs in the open

    > position.
    > >
    > > As another Bogen/Manfrotto user, let me say yes, that would be nice
    > > Mark!
    > >
    > > On at least some B/M tripods, you can adjust the tension so that the
    > > legs don't flop closed quite so easily, but I always forget which
    > > nut/bolt/screw to tighten :)
    > >
    > > Lisa

    > Hi Lisa,
    >
    > First time it occurred to me, but this sag-upon-lifting issue might be
    > solved by shelling out the $$ for a carbon fiber tripod as I suspect the low
    > weight of the legs might prevent this when lifting the rig. (???) I think
    > I'll try that at a local shop...

    Actually that's what I have Mark, a CF Bogen, and light as they are, the
    legs still flop.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jan 17, 2004
  10. Vadim

    > Mark M wrote:
    > >
    > > "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message

    rig
    > > with

    the

    > > but...as

    > > position.
    > > >
    > > > As another Bogen/Manfrotto user, let me say yes, that would be nice
    > > > Mark!
    > > >
    > > > On at least some B/M tripods, you can adjust the tension so that the
    > > > legs don't flop closed quite so easily, but I always forget which
    > > > nut/bolt/screw to tighten :)
    > > >
    > > > Lisa

    > > Hi Lisa,
    > >
    > > First time it occurred to me, but this sag-upon-lifting issue might be
    > > solved by shelling out the $$ for a carbon fiber tripod as I suspect the

    low
    > > weight of the legs might prevent this when lifting the rig. (???) I

    think
    > > I'll try that at a local shop...

    > Actually that's what I have Mark, a CF Bogen, and light as they are, the
    > legs still flop.
    >
    > Lisa

    Dang! -Another rationalization downed... :)

    Mark M, Jan 17, 2004
  11. Vadim

    Doug Warner Guest

    (Vadim) wrote:

    >Sorry for a stupid question. I just bought Bogen /Manfrotto 3001
    >tripod. I like it a lot, but there is one thing that confuses me. Is
    >it possible to lock the legs so they won't move toward the center? It
    >seems like there is nothing that prevents legs from closing
    >accidently.
    >Thanks

    On my old 3001, it's the screws circled in this photo:
    http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/3001.jpg

    Just don't tighten them too much, or you might end up with a cracked
    casting like that below the foreground screw. (Just noticed it while
    making this photo..)
    It's just a camera, not a religion!

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are scammers, avoid them!

    Doug Warner, Jan 18, 2004
  12. Vadim

    Vadim Guest

    Wow, I did not expect to see so many responses to this, thanks.
    Like I said, I was surprised that there was no legs spread lock. It's
    an inconvinience indeed when you have to to move the tripod in an open
    position. Still it's an excellent tripod and I'm quite happy with it.

    Vadim, Jan 18, 2004
  13. On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:17:35 -0800, "Mark M" <>
    wrote:

    >"Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message
    >> > I don't think that's what his problem is.
    >> > When you've got your camera on a tripod, and want to move the whole rig

    >with
    >> > one hand, it would be nice it you could lift it from the top without the
    >> > legs sagging in toweard the middle. I would like this very much,

    >but...as
    >> > the post suggests...there is nothing to lock the legs in the open

    >position.
    >>
    >> As another Bogen/Manfrotto user, let me say yes, that would be nice
    >> Mark!
    >>
    >> On at least some B/M tripods, you can adjust the tension so that the
    >> legs don't flop closed quite so easily, but I always forget which
    >> nut/bolt/screw to tighten :)
    >>
    >> Lisa

    >Hi Lisa,
    >
    >First time it occurred to me, but this sag-upon-lifting issue might be
    >solved by shelling out the $$ for a carbon fiber tripod as I suspect the low
    >weight of the legs might prevent this when lifting the rig. (???) I think
    >I'll try that at a local shop...

    Even the $20 tripod from WalMart has a ring twist lock so that you can
    lift the unit without the legs closing.

    BTW, for light cameras, such a typical digicams, check these out. I
    bought four of them. Great for adjusting foamcore bounce flash boards,
    etc. And I have to admit that it is a pretty good tripod as well. Have
    not had the main one fall apart yet. Don't judge it by its price.

    I found that its bigger brothers, at $30 and $40 (bought both) have no
    real advantages. For a heavy camera or with a long heavy lens, I use
    my heavy duty aluminum tripod that will hold studio video cameras.

    Check these $20 units out. (Can probably sell them later on e-bay for
    $30!)

    Sharon Everett, Jan 18, 2004
  14. Vadim

    JIM Guest

    "Vadim" <> wrote in message
    > Wow, I did not expect to see so many responses to this, thanks.
    > Like I said, I was surprised that there was no legs spread lock. It's
    > an inconvinience indeed when you have to to move the tripod in an open
    > position. Still it's an excellent tripod and I'm quite happy with it.

    As noted by others, most, if not all Bogen tripods only lock to prevent
    collapse outward. I have their 3221W which I like a lot; however, it is one
    of the heavier pods @ 6 lbs. It will support the heavier gear out to around
    14 lbs or so. I don't take it mountain climbing;)

    Also, the legs, at least on my example, do not collapse without help - I've
    often wished the opposite, when wanting to move quickly farther than a few
    feet. They remain spread from tension and I have not adjusted anything in
    the years (+6) I have used it................I never fail to recheck that
    they are fully spread upon relocating - having the thing fall in any
    direction w/multi $$ stuff aint sumtin I'd care to see happen!

    Shoot'em up, handheld, monopod, bipod, tripod, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the
    rest will love you for it!!

    Jim

    JIM, Jan 18, 2004