BOFH: Dear Valuable VIP Customer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/13/bofh_2006_episode_14/
    >
    > Again very funny!
    >
    > <sniggar!>
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    and very true.....I have been lumbered by Nxx as their "representitive"
    here....this means they tell people to come to me when they want Nxx
    products, even though I dont work for them or get a commission...Ive
    told them and anybody who asks to get a NZ rep or deal direct.....

    At present I get monthly demands off them to redo licences. Licences I
    cannot find, indeed, I suspect that one of the two biggest is actually
    for the old server that was replaced in 1999 with a new server with a
    new licence (they wont let you transfer a licence you have to buy new
    each time)....so we have been double billed for 6~7 years from what I
    can see....and this is for just one product....

    I have asked them for, when the products were first used, where and/or
    what OS these were used on and a server number or IP address...(they
    licence by IP address)......they cannot tell me even though the licence
    key is locked to an IP....

    I am not getting replies re old licences and I have been trying for six
    months.....when I ask about new stuff, I get a reply the next day......

    Same email

    So I know its getting there......

    Still the new server looks like being all GPL...very easy licencing
    terms....

    ;]

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 15, 2006
  4. On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:23:44 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > I have asked them for, when the products were first used, where and/or
    > what OS these were used on and a server number or IP address...(they
    > licence by IP address)......they cannot tell me even though the licence
    > key is locked to an IP....

    If I was in your situation I would say if they do not provide evidence of
    that licence, then I would not be paying for it and they can assume that
    it was cancelled - if ever I had it.

    I think it's up to the licensor to provide evidence of the licence when
    demanding payment.

    Now with Telecom blocking port 25 I think it's time I moved to another ISP.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 15, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:23:44 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>I have asked them for, when the products were first used, where and/or
    >>what OS these were used on and a server number or IP address...(they
    >>licence by IP address)......they cannot tell me even though the licence
    >>key is locked to an IP....

    > If I was in your situation I would say if they do not provide evidence of
    > that licence, then I would not be paying for it and they can assume that
    > it was cancelled - if ever I had it.

    This is what is happening, I told them no identification, no
    payment....they said the licences would expire and I would get
    compliants....I have not had any yet...indeed since we are supposed to
    re-do the licences every year I would assume someone somewhere would
    have noticed by now when program X ceases to function.....or some admin
    who has been here many years would say something....

    I mean other companies can do it, with SAS it tells the user a month
    before it expires to ensure they get a new licence...the users ring us
    so we do....and we install it...no problem...

    > I think it's up to the licensor to provide evidence of the licence when
    > demanding payment.

    Well they could turn up and demand to do an audit....I am all for
    it...they provide me with a list they are looking for, and what they
    find I pay. What they cannot find I get a credit for, including back
    years, I reckon I will be ahead....considerably....Im sure one machine
    has been paid for for 6~7 years at 5k a year.....30k back pay would be
    very nice thanks.....

    > Now with Telecom blocking port 25 I think it's time I moved to another ISP.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Any other ADSL company? I am using cable, I am considering adsl, depends
    on how silly Clear get in wanting to move me....

    I assume woosh is available to you as well?

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 15, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Enkidu Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:23:44 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >

    >> I have asked them for, when the products were first used, where
    >> and/or what OS these were used on and a server number or IP
    >> address...(they licence by IP address)......they cannot tell me
    >> even though the licence key is locked to an IP....

    > If I was in your situation I would say if they do not provide
    > evidence of that licence, then I would not be paying for it and they
    > can assume that it was cancelled - if ever I had it.
    >
    > I think it's up to the licensor to provide evidence of the licence
    > when demanding payment.
    >
    > Now with Telecom blocking port 25 I think it's time I moved to
    > another ISP.

    Lennier, you should wait until you actually get blocked. Xtra say that
    they are detecting and contacting those of their customers who have a
    server on port 25, and they will be giving them the option of opting out.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 15, 2006
  7. On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:45:57 +1200, thingy wrote:

    >> Now with Telecom blocking port 25 I think it's time I moved to another ISP.
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>

    > Any other ADSL company? I am using cable, I am considering adsl, depends
    > on how silly Clear get in wanting to move me....
    >
    > I assume woosh is available to you as well?

    I live right in the city, so I presume that Woosh is available.

    Both cable and ADSL are also available.

    All are still too expensive, IMHO, for what they are.

    Until broadband prices come down *much* further (like down to what some
    dialup accounts used to be until recently) and the data caps and speed
    restrictions get removed (ie until it is a true all you can eat unlimited
    broadband service) I see no point in subscribing to something that would
    give me in reality a data transfer no better than what I've currently got
    (dialup that disconnects once daily) but at considerably greater expense.

    I mean, I've downloaded 4gig DVD ISO images over a dialup connection. I
    see no point in paying more for that. (admittedly it takes me a couple of
    weeks to get that image, but if I was on Xtra's cheapest broadband scam
    then I would be paying more $$$ for every byte over 500megs when all I
    need is a little patience?

    Good grief I've even downloaded torrents more than 10gigs in size over
    dialup!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 15, 2006
  8. On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 19:43:39 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Lennier, you should wait until you actually get blocked. Xtra say that
    > they are detecting and contacting those of their customers who have a
    > server on port 25, and they will be giving them the option of opting out.

    Do you really think that would work on a dialup connection?

    I don't think so.

    If it could, then why doesn't Xtra simply contact the accountholders of
    the accounts that are producing all the spam and tell them to sort out the
    spam or risk suspension of their account.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
    sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 15, 2006