BNZ Internet banking

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, May 24, 2004.

  1. In article <>, whoisthis <> was seen to type:
    >In article <c8s0oa$7se$>, "John" <>
    >wrote:
    >> <begin rant>
    >> How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    >> At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    >> useless!
    >> </end rant>

    >Yep, I agree, perhaps a letter to the banking ombusman will help. I
    >would also like to see any fees they charge if you overdraw (due to how
    >far their system is behind!) should be refunded.

    Have you ranted at the BNZ ? Yes I know ... there's no chance they'll
    listen :) ... but you have to complain to them first IIRC :)

    Bruce

    Bruce

    Caution === followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    (if there weere any)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 24, 2004

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    whoisthis Guest

    whoisthis, May 24, 2004

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Palm Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message news:c8s0oa$7se$...
    > <begin rant>
    > How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    > At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    > useless!
    > </end rant>

    I'm very happy with my bank they update immediately ... will show eftpos
    transactions within minutes of being processed. Also can setup bill
    payments, APs and pay anyone without the need to speak to anyone. Have a
    ring around and compare what banks offer. ...J

    Palm, May 24, 2004
  4. Palm wrote:

    > "John" <> wrote in message news:c8s0oa$7se$...
    >
    >><begin rant>
    >>How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    >>At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    >>useless!
    >></end rant>
    >>

    > I'm very happy with my bank they update immediately ... will show eftpos
    > transactions within minutes of being processed. Also can setup bill
    > payments, APs and pay anyone without the need to speak to anyone. Have a
    > ring around and compare what banks offer. ...J

    BNZ offer the last three things you mentioned without having to speak to
    anyone. You might find all major banks do now.

    I find BNZ OK at doing things through the website, they'll do basic
    account management (closing, opening, changing account types) by their
    messaging system without you having to call.

    I wish the credit card balance was more up to date, if it had a running
    balance with the figure on the day of the statement highlighted in a
    different colour, that'd be useful. Updates to the regular accounts seem
    sporadic. Sometimes my sister and I pay each other and see the effect
    immedately when logged on at the same time, sometimes it takes 5 hours.

    John, May 24, 2004
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    Palm Guest

    "I'm a Trampoline" <> wrote in message

    > > I'm very happy with my bank they update immediately ... will show eftpos
    > > transactions within minutes of being processed. Also can setup bill
    > > payments, APs and pay anyone without the need to speak to anyone.
    > > Have a ring around and compare what banks offer. ...J

    > BNZ offer the last three things you mentioned without having to speak to
    > anyone. You might find all major banks do now.

    from experience ANZ do not allow pay anyone by default need to ring to set
    up, also all bill payments need to setup through phone, with westpac can
    select from drop down menu.

    > I wish the credit card balance was more up to date, if it had a running
    > balance with the figure on the day of the statement highlighted in a
    > different colour, that'd be useful. Updates to the regular accounts seem
    > sporadic. Sometimes my sister and I pay each other and see the effect
    > immedately when logged on at the same time, sometimes it takes 5 hours.

    I notice that credit card details are slow to update also ... usually upto 3
    days, i think thats quite normal for credit card transactions (esp. if from
    overseas).

    Palm, May 24, 2004
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    steve Guest

    John wrote:
    > <begin rant>
    > How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    > At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    > useless!
    > </end rant>

    The four major banks are all like that. They update Friday night....then
    next update is Monday night.

    The ANZ fudges it for the Internet banking by using cookies. But if you
    access your account half way thorugh the weekend from a DIFFERENT PC,
    you are presented with the same data from Friday night....though your
    available balance does tend to reflect any weekend transactions - just
    as you see the same thing via an ATM:

    balance: $500
    available to withdraw: $180 (or whatever)

    steve, May 24, 2004
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    Robert Guest

    ANZ/Mastercard actually gave me a refund.
    Paid my mastercard bill on the Friday which was due on the Sunday.
    Appeared on my mastercard statement as paid on the Friday but processed on
    the Monday so I was charged a months interest!!
    I disputed the charge & got a refund.

    Robert, May 24, 2004
  9. In article <40b1a523$>, steve@mozilla-
    thunderbird0.6.org.nz says...
    > John wrote:
    > > <begin rant>
    > > How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    > > At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    > > useless!
    > > </end rant>

    > The four major banks are all like that. They update Friday night....then
    > next update is Monday night.

    Not true. I get instant updating on my bank's website.

    The site will usually tell you when it is not going to be updated
    immediately. In my experience it only applies to bill payments which are
    processed the same day during the week up to a certain time, or the next
    banking day if applicable.

    Deposits from another bank or account may well not be recorded until the
    next day, I can see immediate changes from making transfers between my
    accounts.

    Patrick Dunford, May 24, 2004
  10. In article <40b1a523$>, steve@mozilla-
    thunderbird0.6.org.nz says...
    > John wrote:
    > > <begin rant>
    > > How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    > > At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    > > useless!

    Not because of a cheque is it? They always take six working days to
    clear.

    Patrick Dunford, May 24, 2004
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    Crash Guest

    John wrote:
    > <begin rant>
    > How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    > At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    > useless!
    > </end rant>

    Some banks (seems this includes the BNZ) update their balances once (only)
    every banking day. In the days when most transactions were cheques this
    made sense since cheques are batch-processed in this way, and also deposits
    made at ATMs (dunno if this is still possible at the BNZ) are also verified
    daily. The advent and popularity of EFTPOS changed this dramatically.
    There are 5 banking days in each week (normally) and Saturday, Sunday and
    Monday are all one day - with processing on Monday night.

    As others have suggested, query the BNZ about this. Other banks can and do
    show running balances.

    HTH,

    --
    Crash
    For acronyms (IIRC, TIA etc) visit www.acronymfinder.com for the meanings.

    Crash, May 24, 2004
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    Palm Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <40b1a523$>, steve@mozilla-
    > thunderbird0.6.org.nz says...
    > > John wrote:
    > > > <begin rant>
    > > > How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    > > > At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    > > > useless!
    > > > </end rant>

    > > The four major banks are all like that. They update Friday night....then
    > > next update is Monday night.

    > Not true. I get instant updating on my bank's website.
    >
    > The site will usually tell you when it is not going to be updated
    > immediately. In my experience it only applies to bill payments which are
    > processed the same day during the week up to a certain time, or the next
    > banking day if applicable.

    with westpac weekday transactions pre-7:00pm are overnight ... during
    weekend happen overnight on Monday ...J

    Palm, May 24, 2004
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <WTfsc.3760$>,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > In article <>, whoisthis
    > <> was seen to type:
    > >In article <c8s0oa$7se$>, "John" <>
    > >wrote:
    > >> <begin rant>
    > >> How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    > >> At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    > >> useless!
    > >> </end rant>

    > >Yep, I agree, perhaps a letter to the banking ombusman will help. I
    > >would also like to see any fees they charge if you overdraw (due to how
    > >far their system is behind!) should be refunded.

    > Have you ranted at the BNZ ? Yes I know ... there's no chance they'll
    > listen :) ... but you have to complain to them first IIRC :)

    Well I wind up a friend of mine who is in the middle management area of
    the BNZ.... does that count ?

    whoisthis, May 24, 2004
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:24:12 +1200, whoisthis <>
    wrote:

    >> Have you ranted at the BNZ ? Yes I know ... there's no chance they'll
    >> listen :) ... but you have to complain to them first IIRC :)
    >>

    >Well I wind up a friend of mine who is in the middle management area of
    >the BNZ.... does that count ?

    Well, can you pass on my rant as well? I emailed the following to them
    a few weeks ago, and got a standard "Don't call us, we'll call you"
    reply. And you guessed it, they still haven't fixed the bug... :-(

    <Sent to BNZ 3/5/2004>

    Hi there.

    I was wondering if the BNZ was intending to make their online banking
    service compliant with all browsers, in keeping with best practice.

    Whilst it is 1000 times better than the old java-based interface,
    there is an error in the script validating the date when entering a
    funds transfer that results in a "date is greater than one year from
    today" error message when any browser other than Internet Explorer or
    Netscape is used (eg, in this case Opera).

    The problem is in your Javascript get_date() function, in the file
    bnzib.js in your scripts folder.

    Currently, you are returning the browser string using
    "navigator.appName", and modifying the code depending on the resulting
    string (adding 1900 if it is Netscape). This is a bad idea due to
    firstly the incorrect functionality of other browsers, and secondly,
    the fact that there is no guarantee that this string will not change
    in future versions of existing browsers, and is definately not in
    keeping with best practice.

    All you need to do to remove this bug is remove the navigator.appName
    checking entirely, and just change the function from today.getYear to
    today.getFullYear. This will now work in all modern browsers.

    This problem arises due to Y2K issues, and can be very easily and
    completely fixed as above.

    Note that currently 10-15% of internet users do NOT use Internet
    Explorer, and this number is increasing rapidly as more people
    discover other browsers, and move away from the Status Quo. This
    simple fix will allow the bank to cater for the 1 in 8 of their
    customers that choose not to use Internet Explorer, as well as
    ensuring that, in this script at least, you are in keeping with best
    practice.

    Could you please pass this on to your web development team, and I
    would love to hear of any progress at <my email>.

    Gurble, May 24, 2004
  15. Bruce Sinclair

    TH1 Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:19:02 +1000, "John" <> wrote:

    ><begin rant>
    >How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    >At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    >useless!
    ></end rant>

    Last I heard, the BNZ runs two different computer systems. One is the
    "real" one, which is updated by overnight batch processing after each
    business/banking day. In a normal week, the overnight runs will be
    done on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights. After
    those updates are complete, the results are transferred to the "live"
    EFTPOS/ATM system - experience shows that will happen sometime in the
    early hours of the next day, maybe around 04:00. The totals displayed
    by this "live" system on the Internet banking site, and on EFTPOS and
    ATM terminals will reflect changes made on the "live" system only, not
    any that are made through the batch update systems such as cheques.
    The only valid total is the one on the "real" batch system - the
    totals on the live system are "indicative only", even though they are
    used on that system to say whether you have enough funds to do
    anything.

    On the BNZ web pages, the total at the top of a "Transaction History"
    page is clearly labeled as "Closing Balance as at dd/mm/yyyy". The
    balances on the "Account Summary" page will update if you move money
    around your accounts do transfers or bill payments from the web. I am
    not sure if they will update for EFTPOS or ATM transactions during the
    day - I suspect not, as these totals seem to be yet a third set local
    to the web site only.

    I spent half an hour talking to a BNZ manager a couple of months ago
    trying to explain that if they really want to keep their customers
    happy (myself included), they have to spend the money and get rid of
    all their old legacy software and move into the Internet age. The
    banking software should work the way the customers want it to work,
    not the way programmers in 1965 (which some of it dates from) were
    able to get it to work on the then mainframes. They are keenly aware
    of things like Consumers' Institute reports of their being rated low
    on the league table of banks, but are apparently unwilling to do what
    is needed to move to being a really modern bank, by rewriting all of
    that software. There is probably a good reason for this - banking
    software has to be utterly reliable, and is now pretty complex, and
    hence is extremely expensive. It might cost as much as a billion
    dollars to completely overhaul their software.

    Even relatively simple but vital addons though, such as an option to
    email or text the customer automatically when they go into overdraft,
    seem not to be under consideration. BTW Is there any NZ bank out
    there that will do this yet?

    I think that the only thing that is keeping the older banks in
    business is that the other banks are also having the same problems
    with legacy software. Even with banks with newer software such as the
    ASB, the software is significantly older and less capable than a what
    a completely new banking suite written today could do and should do.

    TH1, May 24, 2004
  16. In article <>, whoisthis <> was seen to type:
    >In article <WTfsc.3760$>,
    > z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >> In article <>, whoisthis
    >> <> was seen to type:
    >> >
    >> >Yep, I agree, perhaps a letter to the banking ombusman will help. I
    >> >would also like to see any fees they charge if you overdraw (due to how
    >> >far their system is behind!) should be refunded.

    >> Have you ranted at the BNZ ? Yes I know ... there's no chance they'll
    >> listen :) ... but you have to complain to them first IIRC :)
    >>

    >Well I wind up a friend of mine who is in the middle management area of
    >the BNZ.... does that count ?

    Not really ... both of you know nothing will happen :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 24, 2004
  17. Bruce Sinclair

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:19:02 +1000, "John" <> wrote:

    ><begin rant>
    >How come BNZ internet banking takes so long to update??
    >At 5:20 pm on Monday I can see my account balance as of last Friday,
    >useless!
    ></end rant>

    You could always change banks.

    Craig Shore, May 25, 2004
  18. Bruce Sinclair

    Alastair Guest

    In <> Gurble wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:24:12 +1200, whoisthis <>
    > wrote:

    >>Well I wind up a friend of mine who is in the middle management area
    >>of the BNZ.... does that count ?

    > I was wondering if the BNZ was intending to make their online banking
    > service compliant with all browsers, in keeping with best practice.
    >
    > Whilst it is 1000 times better than the old java-based interface,
    > there is an error in the script validating the date when entering a
    > funds transfer that results in a "date is greater than one year from
    > today" error message when any browser other than Internet Explorer or
    > Netscape is used (eg, in this case Opera).

    I access Bank of New Zealand Internet banking using Safari, and I
    haven't had any problems with compatibility. However, in the last couple
    of weeks, I have found the site to be extremely unreliable.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    http://www.alastair.net.nz

    Alastair, May 25, 2004
  19. Bruce Sinclair

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Alastair <> wrote:

    > In <> Gurble wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:24:12 +1200, whoisthis <>
    > > wrote:

    > >>Well I wind up a friend of mine who is in the middle management area
    > >>of the BNZ.... does that count ?

    > > I was wondering if the BNZ was intending to make their online banking
    > > service compliant with all browsers, in keeping with best practice.
    > >
    > > Whilst it is 1000 times better than the old java-based interface,
    > > there is an error in the script validating the date when entering a
    > > funds transfer that results in a "date is greater than one year from
    > > today" error message when any browser other than Internet Explorer or
    > > Netscape is used (eg, in this case Opera).

    > I access Bank of New Zealand Internet banking using Safari, and I
    > haven't had any problems with compatibility. However, in the last couple
    > of weeks, I have found the site to be extremely unreliable.

    Hmm, I have always had problems doing multiple bill payments, it always
    remembers the first one and no matter what data I set it tries to repeat
    the first payment. I keep IE on my mac simply for the banking now.

    whoisthis, May 25, 2004
  20. whoisthis wrote:

    >>I access Bank of New Zealand Internet banking using Safari, and I
    >>haven't had any problems with compatibility. However, in the last couple
    >>of weeks, I have found the site to be extremely unreliable.

    > Hmm, I have always had problems doing multiple bill payments, it always
    > remembers the first one and no matter what data I set it tries to repeat
    > the first payment. I keep IE on my mac simply for the banking now.

    It gets real confused if you try to log out as one person then in as
    another immediately. You can see the first persons list of bill payment
    payees.

    I'm a Trampoline, May 25, 2004