Blurry Video On A DVDR Recording

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bob, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I swapped out an Ilo DVDR05ZU for an Ilo DVDR05MU. I was told by a
    CyberHome tech support person that the ZU and MU versions have
    different chip sets. The "servo" (laser mechanism) appears to be the
    same because the same "front end" firmware is used on both types.

    I had previously formatted some Verbatim DVDR +RW discs with the ZU
    unit and used one to test the new MU unit. I recorded 5 minute
    segments from each of the major broadcast TV stations. I used 4 hour
    resolution which worked fine on the ZU unit with a 19" TV set. The
    recordings from the MU unit were slightly blurry.

    I ran a Nero CD-DVD Speed Scan on the disc and it did not look all
    that good. So I did a full erase, wrote the test data on it and reran
    the Scan. This time the scan looked perfect - not one defect. I
    concludes that it was not the disc but the new MU unit that had
    produced a corrupted recording.

    I did a full erase on that disc and used the Format feature on the
    DVDR. Then I ran the same tests and this time the video quality was as
    good as with the ZU unit. I have done several recordings at various
    resolutions and they appear similar to the same kind of test with the
    old ZU unit.

    I tentatively conclude that it is necessary to perform the Format
    using the unit that will be used to make the recordings. I suppose the
    Format procedure puts down some kind of code that is used by the DVDR
    later when it comes time to do the actual recording and that causes
    the unit to perform properly.

    Comments please.

    --

    If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
    set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Bob, Oct 30, 2005