    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Elissa

    ET, Jul 9, 2004

  2. ET

    Ionizer Guest

    "ET" <> wrote in message
    news:MAxHc.35679$...
    > I have posted this question previously and tried suggestions, but I am

    still
    > having the same problem.
    >
    > My screen is blurry. I have switched monitors--both (actually all 3,

    still
    > blurry)--changed settings, doesn't do anything. I also changed the

    graphics
    > card--the screen cleared up (just slightly), but within 30 mins was back

    > being unreadable. I have windows ME currently installed.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    There's a free, online monitor calibration test available at the bottom of
    this page which may be of some use:
    http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/index.shtml

    " The MonitorsDirect Calibrator is designed to help evaluate monitor
    quality, diagnose possible problems, and help properly adjust the display
    image."

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jul 9, 2004

  3. ET

    Pen Guest

    have you degaussed the monitor?

    "ET" <> wrote in message
    > I have posted this question previously and tried suggestions, but I am

    still
    > having the same problem.
    >
    > My screen is blurry. I have switched monitors--both (actually all 3,

    still
    > blurry)--changed settings, doesn't do anything. I also changed the

    graphics
    > card--the screen cleared up (just slightly), but within 30 mins was

    back to

    Pen, Jul 9, 2004
  4. ET

    Plato Guest

    Pen wrote:

    > have you degaussed the monitor?

    Grin. My kid has his half ton twenty inch something monitor ballanced on
    his sub-woofer and you can guess what happened in time. He was quite
    lucky when degause worked :)

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 9, 2004
  5. ET

    VWWall Guest

    ET wrote:

    > I have posted this question previously and tried suggestions, but I am still
    > having the same problem.
    >
    > My screen is blurry. I have switched monitors--both (actually all 3, still
    > blurry)--changed settings, doesn't do anything. I also changed the graphics
    > card--the screen cleared up (just slightly), but within 30 mins was back to
    > being unreadable. I have windows ME currently installed.

    A handy Monitor Tester, which does not require IE6, is available here:

    http://www.geocities.com/tvdarekz/

    near the bottom of the page. It will even fit on a floppy.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    VWWall, Jul 9, 2004
  6. ET

    ET Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Pen wrote:
    > >
    > > have you degaussed the monitor?

    Yes I have tried that...

    ET, Jul 10, 2004
  7. ET

    vince Guest

    Upgrade to Widnows XP. ME is the worst Windows operating system ever. Clean
    install recommended, around $90, around same $$ for upgrade

    vince, Jul 10, 2004
  8. ET

    Thor Guest

    so you think WinME is the cause of his blurry screen?

    LOL!

    Thor, Jul 10, 2004
  9. ET

    ProfGene Guest

    This problem is very perplexing. I have seen TVs with focus but not
    monitors. The perplexing part is why a new graphics card would solve the
    problem then change. It is either the cable and if you have tried more than
    one that would seem to rule out the cable, or it could be software setting
    but they would not explain why it would work for half an hour then change.
    The only thing that can happen in half an hour that makes sense would be
    overheating but I am not certain that that would affect the screen it would
    most likely freeze the computer so I would try a new cable but if it works
    for half an hour with your old cable it should keep working unless there is
    a physical vibration that shakes it lose and if it is screwed tight this
    shouldn't happen so it is very perplexing.

    ProfGene, Jul 11, 2004
  10. ET

    ET Guest

    Yes it is very perplexing and frustrating!!! Trying two different monitors
    as well as two different video cards, you would think, would have solved the
    problem--not....

    I did try the monitor tests (as someone previously posted), but they were
    not much help. I actually had to come to another computer to read were
    abouts on the screen I was supposed to click as I could not read it on my
    'problem' computer.

    I'm really not sure what else to try--I'm ready to gap it...

    ET, Jul 13, 2004
  11. ET

    Stuart Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > so you think WinME is the cause of his blurry screen?
    >
    > LOL!

    I suppose it would be the equivalent of replacing your cars engine
    because the windscreen was dirty.

    hahaha

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 14, 2004
  12. ET

    Stuart Guest

    ET wrote:

    > I have posted this question previously and tried suggestions, but I am still
    > having the same problem.
    >
    > My screen is blurry. I have switched monitors--both (actually all 3, still
    > blurry)--changed settings, doesn't do anything. I also changed the graphics
    > card--the screen cleared up (just slightly), but within 30 mins was back to
    > being unreadable. I have windows ME currently installed.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Elissa

    Does your VGA cable plug straight from the graphics card into the
    monitor, by that I mean you don't have anything plugged in in-between
    the graphics card and the monitor like an adapter of some kind?
    If you have used the same cable for all the monitors then it could be a
    faulty VGA cable.

    Do you have any speakers or electrical equipment near to the computer
    screen?
    Do you live near an electricity box or have overhead electricity pylon
    cables?
    You could have a poorly shielded PSU.

    How long has the problem been going on for and did you do anything to
    the computer just before you noticed the problem?

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 14, 2004
  13. ET

    ET Guest

    > > I have posted this question previously and tried suggestions, but I am

    still
    > > having the same problem.
    > >
    > > My screen is blurry. I have switched monitors--both (actually all 3,

    still
    > > blurry)--changed settings, doesn't do anything. I also changed the

    graphics
    > > card--the screen cleared up (just slightly), but within 30 mins was back

    > > being unreadable. I have windows ME currently installed.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Elissa

    > Does your VGA cable plug straight from the graphics card into the
    > monitor, by that I mean you don't have anything plugged in in-between
    > the graphics card and the monitor like an adapter of some kind?

    Nothing

    > If you have used the same cable for all the monitors then it could be a
    > faulty VGA cable.

    I just tried changing that with the one (good computer) that is
    upstairs--and it is fine--so, not that.

    > Do you have any speakers or electrical equipment near to the computer
    > screen?

    Computer speakers-- yes..I have unplugged and re-booted--still the same.

    > Do you live near an electricity box or have overhead electricity pylon
    > cables?

    My upstairs computer works fine--so I would say, thats not it either. I did
    a survey of the basement (its unfiniished, so its pretty easy to see), and
    did not see anything electical that jumps out at me.

    > You could have a poorly shielded PSU.

    (I'm not sure what this is??)

    > How long has the problem been going on for and did you do anything to
    > the computer just before you noticed the problem?

    Its been about 3 months or so..the last week really bad. Just kept getting
    worse and worse all the time. Its the kids computer so they do "stuff" to
    it all the time..lol

    Thanks for trying....

    ET, Jul 14, 2004
  14. ET

    ProfGene Guest

    You leave very little else but the connection from the graphics card which
    is the only thing that cleared it up momentarily so is it a PCI or AGP slot
    that the graphics card is in? If it is an AGP graphics card there are not
    other slots to try because there are only one but if it is a PCI graphics
    card move it to another spot and if it is an AGP graphics card try picking
    up a PCI one which they probably don't make new anymore but the used ones
    ought to go for next to nothing.

    ProfGene, Jul 20, 2004
  15. ET

    ET Guest

    Thanks..I will try that..my friend is buying a new PC so I will ravage his
    old CPU.

    ET, Jul 23, 2004