Blurry photo's with flash disabled

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by grumpy, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. grumpy

    grumpy Guest

    When indoors, and with the flash disabled, I almost always get blurry
    pics.
    I don't want to use a tripod for steadiness. I'm using a Canon S330
    digital
    camera with 2 megapixels.

    I had considered using a tripod, but most of the shots I enjoy taking
    are people
    not posing, so they're always moving slightly, and that movement would
    also
    encourage a "blur"...

    If upgrading to a 4 or 5 megapixel camera would help to eliminate this
    "agita",
    I'd surely buy one.....

    But, before I do that, I'd like to know if the additional pixels would
    really solve the problem.

    The S330 does have some basic manual capabilities, but I don't use
    them.
    Perhaps that might be a solution. The reason I bought the S330 was
    because of its very small size, which for me is a must....

    And, I wanted a camera without the "bells & whistles" which would only
    aid to confuse me, and I most surely would not be inclined to use
    anyway...

    So, is there anyway that I can take decent indoor shots with the flash
    disabled?

    Most of my shots are taken inside the theater & from where I'm sitting
    don't allow me any proper lighting.

    But, with the flash disabled, I'm permitted to take the shots.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    grumpy, Dec 2, 2003

  2. "grumpy" <> wrote in message
    > When indoors, and with the flash disabled, I almost always get blurry
    > pics.
    > I don't want to use a tripod for steadiness. I'm using a Canon S330
    > digital
    > camera with 2 megapixels.
    >
    > I had considered using a tripod, but most of the shots I enjoy taking
    > are people
    > not posing, so they're always moving slightly, and that movement would
    > also
    > encourage a "blur"...
    >
    > If upgrading to a 4 or 5 megapixel camera would help to eliminate this
    > "agita",
    > I'd surely buy one.....

    It won't make a bit of difference.

    However, upgrading to a camera with a "fast lens" (ie f2 or f1.8 - the lower
    f-stop number, the more light the lens lets in) would make a difference.
    Also, buying a camera capable of taking photographs with a high ISO (800 or
    higher) would help as well. The Canon Digital Rebel with a 50mm f1.8 lens
    would suit your needs well, although it would cost you close to $1,000.

    > But, before I do that, I'd like to know if the additional pixels would
    > really solve the problem.

    Additional pixels have nothing to do with it. It's how sensitive your
    camera is to light and how much light you can get to it, so it can use a
    fast shutter speed.

    > The S330 does have some basic manual capabilities, but I don't use
    > them.
    > Perhaps that might be a solution. The reason I bought the S330 was
    > because of its very small size, which for me is a must....
    >
    > And, I wanted a camera without the "bells & whistles" which would only
    > aid to confuse me, and I most surely would not be inclined to use
    > anyway...
    >
    > So, is there anyway that I can take decent indoor shots with the flash
    > disabled?

    Hold the camera *very* steady and make sure your subjects don't move.
    Tying them down with duct tape often helps.

    > Most of my shots are taken inside the theater & from where I'm sitting
    > don't allow me any proper lighting.
    >
    > But, with the flash disabled, I'm permitted to take the shots.

    Ahhh. I guess duct taping the performers might impair their performance.

    I suspect the photos you do take might be a bit washed-out as well, if your
    subject is under a spotlight and you're shooting full auto-exposure. If
    your camera has a "sports photography" mode, you might try this. Also, if
    your photos *are* washed out, try adjusting the exposure compensation to
    underexpose your photos a bit - this will also slow down the motion
    somewhat.

    And at least *try* a tripod.

    - jz
    Jeff Zawrotny, Dec 2, 2003

  3. grumpy

    Scott Evans Guest

    You may wish to actually "learn" something about photography while you're at
    it too.

    Scott Evans, Dec 2, 2003
  4. "grumpy" <> wrote in message
    > When indoors, and with the flash disabled, I almost always get blurry
    > pics.
    > I don't want to use a tripod for steadiness.

    Try changing the ISO setting to 400. You should see a big improvement.

    Juan
    Juan R. Pollo, Dec 3, 2003