Blurry images on digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lionel, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:09:06 +0200, in this august
    forum, "Tal Lavi" <> said:

    >Whenever I try to shoot a picture in light conditions which are below
    >average, a signal apeears on the screen, telling me that the exposure time
    >will be long, and the picutre could get blurry, as a result of me shaking,
    >or the photographed object moving.
    >
    >The situation can be fixed by activating the flash, but then, the resulting
    >image is sharp, but with incorect colors!

    This may be a result of the white balance not matching the colour of the
    light from the flash. If so, it's something you can often fix in
    Photoshop. It's also helpful to use an external flash instead of the
    in-camera flash.

    >Isn't there a way to shoot in unlit locations without flash, but still keep
    >the exposure time short, and the image bright and sharp??

    The short answer is 'no'. It's a matter of physics. There are lots of
    things you can do to *improve* images taken under those circumstances,
    though, but they generally require a fair amount of money & skill.
    For example, when I'm photographing people in very dim lighting, I use
    an external flash, dimmed down to prevent the flash from creating glare.

    >Mind you, that when shooting in very lit locations, and outside, the
    >pictures are very sharp and colorful, and overall the camera's capabilities
    >are more than adequate!
    >
    >As I see it, this problem is universal to all home-use digital cameras

    And film cameras, which have the same limitations, not to mention
    professional film & digital cameras as well.

    Lionel, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Lionel

    Tal Lavi Guest

    Dear group,

    I'm a new digital camera user, and I don't know much about the subject.

    I recently bought my first digital camera, Fuji FinePix 2650, and I have a
    not-so-small-problem with it.

    Whenever I try to shoot a picture in light conditions which are below
    average, a signal apeears on the screen, telling me that the exposure time
    will be long, and the picutre could get blurry, as a result of me shaking,
    or the photographed object moving.

    The situation can be fixed by activating the flash, but then, the resulting
    image is sharp, but with incorect colors!

    Isn't there a way to shoot in unlit locations without flash, but still keep
    the exposure time short, and the image bright and sharp??

    Mind you, that when shooting in very lit locations, and outside, the
    pictures are very sharp and colorful, and overall the camera's capabilities
    are more than adequate!

    As I see it, this problem is universal to all home-use digital cameras (I
    have some friends with digital cameras and they all have the same problem),
    but there must be a way to over-come it! overwise, I can't see why digital
    camera's became so popular!

    I'd apreciate a senceire advice,

    Thanks in advance,

    Tal
    Tal Lavi, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Lionel

    SW Guest

    Try a tripod.

    SW, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Lionel

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Tal Lavi wrote:

    > Dear group,
    >
    > I'm a new digital camera user, and I don't know much about the subject.
    >
    > I recently bought my first digital camera, Fuji FinePix 2650, and I have a
    > not-so-small-problem with it.
    >
    > Whenever I try to shoot a picture in light conditions which are below
    > average, a signal apeears on the screen, telling me that the exposure time
    > will be long, and the picutre could get blurry, as a result of me shaking,
    > or the photographed object moving.
    >
    > The situation can be fixed by activating the flash, but then, the resulting
    > image is sharp, but with incorect colors!
    >
    > Isn't there a way to shoot in unlit locations without flash, but still keep
    > the exposure time short, and the image bright and sharp??

    A tripod. I am not a fan of them as they are cumbersome, but if the camera is
    sat on a tripod you won't get that camera shake, nor the slight movement I
    always get when I press the button.

    --
    Paul. (She took his ring, took his babies)
    Not what it seems...
    Paul Heslop, Sep 30, 2003
  5. "Tal Lavi" <> wrote in message

    snip

    > Isn't there a way to shoot in unlit locations without flash, but still

    keep
    > the exposure time short, and the image bright and sharp??

    Only two ways: use a tripod (won't work if the subject is moving), or
    increase the ISO setting ("film speed")

    > Mind you, that when shooting in very lit locations, and outside, the
    > pictures are very sharp and colorful, and overall the camera's

    capabilities
    > are more than adequate!
    >
    > As I see it, this problem is universal to all home-use digital cameras (I
    > have some friends with digital cameras and they all have the same

    problem),
    > but there must be a way to over-come it! overwise, I can't see why digital
    > camera's became so popular!

    Not just home digital cameras, this is just how photography has worked from
    day 1

    Juan
    Juan R. Pollo, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Lionel

    Tal Lavi Guest

    "Juan R. Pollo" <> ???
    ??????:i4eeb.158829$...

    > "Tal Lavi" <> wrote in message
    >
    > snip
    >
    > > Isn't there a way to shoot in unlit locations without flash, but still

    > keep
    > > the exposure time short, and the image bright and sharp??

    > Only two ways: use a tripod (won't work if the subject is moving), or
    > increase the ISO setting ("film speed")

    Increasing the ISO setting? What does it mean anyway? It sounds like the
    right solution, something like increasing the CCD sensitivity, making it
    recieve more light in less time, thus reducing the exposure time. Is there a
    way to do that?! If I just decrease EV, I get ugly, dark pictures, and still
    blurry!

    And maybe I'll go buy a tripod too.. :-(
    Tal Lavi, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Lionel

    CSM1 Guest

    "Tal Lavi" <> wrote in message

    > "Juan R. Pollo" <> ???
    > ??????:i4eeb.158829$...
    > >
    > > "Tal Lavi" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > snip
    > >
    > > > Isn't there a way to shoot in unlit locations without flash, but still

    > > keep
    > > > the exposure time short, and the image bright and sharp??

    > > Only two ways: use a tripod (won't work if the subject is moving), or
    > > increase the ISO setting ("film speed")

    > Increasing the ISO setting? What does it mean anyway? It sounds like the
    > right solution, something like increasing the CCD sensitivity, making it
    > recieve more light in less time, thus reducing the exposure time. Is there

    > way to do that?! If I just decrease EV, I get ugly, dark pictures, and

    still
    > blurry!
    >

    > And maybe I'll go buy a tripod too.. :-(

    You need to read a book on basic photography. Go to a public library.
    Most books are on film photography, but the same principals apply.

    Go to http://www.amazon.com and search for Books, "basic photography".

    There is a book titled:
    Basic Book of Photography, Fifth Edition
    by Tom Grimm, Michele Grimm

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Sep 30, 2003
  8. I just looked at the specs for your camera. You cannot change the ISO
    setting, it is set at ISO 100. This is a very low setting for light
    sensitivity, meaning you pretty much have to have bright sunlight or the
    picture will be dark. To give you an idea, the film used in low light
    situations is usually ISO 800 or higher. Sorry, short of getting a more
    agreeable camera, it looks like a tripod is your only solution.

    For less than the price of your Fuji, you could get a discontinued Canon A40
    which has a lot more manual setting abilities. It's been replaced by the
    A60, but that one is a bit pricier.

    Juan

    PS: Try to use the timer when you use a tripod, this will minimize the
    camera movement caused by your finger on the shutter.
    Juan R. Pollo, Sep 30, 2003
  9. Lionel

    Jeremy Guest

    Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > A tripod. I am not a fan of them as they are cumbersome, but if the
    > camera is sat on a tripod you won't get that camera shake, nor the slight
    > movement I always get when I press the button.

    The best accessory I own is a Bogen pocket-sized tripod. It's about 7
    inches, isn't cumbersome at all, and works in many (obviously not all)
    situations where you need a tripod. But it goes with me whenever my
    camera does, when a full-sized tripod would stay home.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy, Sep 30, 2003
  10. Lionel

    JK Guest

    The answer is to have a camera that has a lens that lets in plenty of light
    (such as one that is f2.8 or a smaller f number throughout its entire zoom
    range), as well as at least an ISO 400 mode. The best for this would be
    a digital slr and a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 lens, however this is expensive.
    A camera like the Sony F717, Canon G3 or G5, or Olympus C5050
    or C4000 would allow you to shoot handheld without the flash indoors
    in moderate light at ISO 400.

    JK, Oct 1, 2003