    the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati catalyst on the
    disk.
    Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

    Fastmoggy, Jan 20, 2009

  2. Fastmoggy

    Helpful guy Guest

    "Fastmoggy" <> wrote in message
    news:QQodl.11465$P%2...
    > Hi,
    > got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
    > The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu text
    > but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word and msm.
    > Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk enviroment?

    CRT or LCD monitor?
    If CRT then one possibility is a monitor with a dynamic focusing issue.

    > Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it so slightly
    > confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if problems
    > persist.

    Try moving the notepad window around the screen and look to see whether the
    text becomes blurred when you move it to the edges and corners of the
    screen. If it does then replace the monitor. If it stays sharp then you have
    some other problem.

    Helpful guy, Jan 20, 2009

  3. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    "Helpful guy" <> wrote in message
    > "Fastmoggy" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
    >> The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu
    >> text but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word
    >> and msm.
    >> Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk enviroment?

    > CRT or LCD monitor?
    > If CRT then one possibility is a monitor with a dynamic focusing issue.
    >
    >> Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it so slightly
    >> confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if problems
    >> persist.

    > Try moving the notepad window around the screen and look to see whether
    > the text becomes blurred when you move it to the edges and corners of the
    > screen. If it does then replace the monitor. If it stays sharp then you
    > have some other problem.
    >
    >> The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
    >> used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
    >> something.
    >> the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati catalyst on the
    >> disk.
    >> Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

    Sorry forgot to say but CRT
    text from notepad is fine in all corners of screen

    Fastmoggy, Jan 20, 2009
  4. Fastmoggy

    Shel-hed Guest

    Drivers.
    A common problem with older ATI stuff.

    Shel-hed, Jan 20, 2009
  5. Fastmoggy

    ian field Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > As the other poster suggested it may be a focus problem.
    > If you're comfortable opening the monitor and know what the flyback
    > transformer is there are two controls on it, one is for screen brightness,
    > the other for focus and adjusting this may cure it.
    > My advice woul be to take it to a TV engineer, it's a 5 minute job but
    > working inside monitors can be dangerous if you don't know what you're
    > doing.

    Bear in mind that the monitor will have to be powered while the main PCB is
    exposed to carry out this procedure and there will be lethal voltage on at
    least one heatsink in the SMPSU section.

    The EHT supply to the CRT is about 25kV and the coatings on the inside and
    outside of the CRT bowl form a large capacitor which can remain charged
    after the monitor is switched off - having said that, it is at least very
    well insulated.

    Its not uncommon for dodgy repair shops to say "the tubes gone!" and try to
    sell you the most expensive replacement they have, although in the case of a
    focus fault there's a slim chance they might be telling the truth, so there
    might be some benefit to trying a slight adjustment to the focus pot on the
    line scan transformer, but focus can also be affected by worn out
    electrolytics in the power supply.

    When messing with a live chassis keep one hand in your pocket that way you
    can't touch something earthed with your left hand while touching something
    live with your right (passing current across the chest is often fatal) and
    wear rubber soled shoes so you aren't earthed if you do touch something
    live.

    ian field, Jan 20, 2009
  6. Fastmoggy wrote:

    > got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text. The desktop icon
    > names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu text but on
    > other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word and msm.

    Your desktop is blurry. Your applications are "pin sharp." Does anyone
    really think that this is a hardware problem? Wouldn't the apps also be
    blurry if it was?

    Aside from the below, the only other thing that makes sense is some kind
    of corrupt "theme" was installed. <shrug>

    > The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
    > used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
    > something.

    Heh. "teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!'" Did he install any new
    game, or video program, just before your desktop went blurry?

    Try reinstalling your video drivers. Give your son his own limited login
    account.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 20, 2009
  7. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > Fastmoggy wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
    >> The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu
    >> text
    >> but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word and
    >> msm.
    >> Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk enviroment?
    >> Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it so slightly
    >> confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if problems
    >> persist.
    >> The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
    >> used
    >> by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done something.
    >> the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati catalyst on the
    >> disk.
    >> Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

    > In Windows, check the DPI setting (Control Panel -> Display -> Settings
    > tab, Advanced button). Reset back to the default and check the screen
    > again.
    >
    > Disable ClearType or set it to Standard (if your unidentified version of
    > Windows supports ClearType): Control Panel, Display applet, Appearance
    > tab, Effects button. Disable the "Smooth edges of screen fonts" option:
    > (in Windows XP) Control Panel, System applet, Advanced tab, performance
    > Settings button, Visual Effects tab.
    >
    > Has someone been tweaking the display settings (in Windows, not for the
    > video card)? Maybe someone went into the Display applet (Control
    > Panel), Appearance tab, Advanced button, and went changing the text
    > sizes for various components. I believe you can reset these changes by
    > changing the Font size selection back in the Appearance tab: change to a
    > different size and then back to what it was. If that doesn't work,
    > change the "Windows and buttons" selection to a different theme, click
    > Apply, and change back to the prior selection and click Apply.
    >
    > Has someone changed the video resolution? Tried other resolutions?
    >
    > Just in case someone has been playing around with the monitor's settings
    > (but won't admit it), see if there is a [factory] reset selection in the
    > OSD (onscreen display) menu in the monitor. Rather than trying to
    > adjust convergence (vertical or horizontal), focus, or other alignment
    > settings on the monitor, make sure the monitor is back to its default
    > setup.

    Thanks for that, clear type rings a few bells so i'll bear that in mind.
    I will try another monitor first to see if problems persists, if not ive
    just aquired a new doorstop!

    Fastmoggy, Jan 20, 2009
  8. Fastmoggy

    Helpful guy Guest

    "Fastmoggy" <> wrote in message

    > "Helpful guy" <> wrote in message
    >> "Fastmoggy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,

    snip
    > Sorry forgot to say but CRT
    > text from notepad is fine in all corners of screen

    In that case the monitor is fine and you have some other issue.
    It may be related to the fonts Windows uses for icons and other things.
    This is not something I change often so I'll leave it to other people to
    help you with that.

    I know it's not what you're asking but a thorough check for malware might be
    in order if your teenage son browses the web on a broadband connection in an
    administrator account, particularly if the computer is directly connected to
    a broadband modem. Malware doesn't usually cause this type of issue though.

    Helpful guy, Jan 20, 2009
  9. Fastmoggy

    chuckcar Guest

    "Fastmoggy" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    > got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
    > The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu
    > text but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word
    > and msm. Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk
    > enviroment? Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it
    > so slightly confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if
    > problems persist.
    > The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
    > used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
    > something. the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati
    > catalyst on the disk.
    > Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

    Try cleaning the screen with a soapy damp cloth (*not* wet: you don't want
    drips) and then wiping with a plain damp one until all the streaks go
    away. Do this while the monitor is *on* with a bright one colour
    background optimally.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 21, 2009
  10. Fastmoggy

    Buffalo Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:
    > Hi,
    > got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
    > The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu
    > text but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note
    > pad/word and msm. Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with
    > window desk enviroment? Ive not ever seen this before and sure i
    > havn't heard of it so slightly confused. I will try putting another
    > monitor on it to see if problems persist.
    > The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer
    > is used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
    > something. the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati
    > catalyst on the disk.
    > Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

    Don't follow the advice of some to get inside the monitor.
    Strange problem with just the Desktop being out of focus.
    State what OS you are using 98,ME,2000,XP,Vista?.

    Do a search for shelliconcache and delete it.
    Then reboot and see if that helps. (This just causes Windows to rebuild the
    icons and create a new shelliconcache file).
    Hopefully someone will come along to give the proper answer.

    You could also try rt clicking on a blank space of the taskbar and select
    Properties and then check or uncheck the box that says something like
    'show small icons in Start Menu' or similar and click OK. Then you can go
    back and do the opposite to get back to where you were.

    Another one to try is to rt click on a blank area of the Desktop and choose
    Properties.
    Then select Effects and you should see an option Use Large Icons
    either check it or uncheck it (the opposite of what it is)
    and select OK.

    Then just do the same thing and put it back to what it was or to what you
    prefer.\

    You can always reinstall (or update) the video card drivers as soon as you
    identify the correct model number of your vid card.
    Everest is a free program (I think) and also Belarc Advisor that should be
    able to identify your vid card.
    Hopefully one of these ideas will do the trick.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Jan 21, 2009
  11. Fastmoggy

    Tony Guest

    Chuck what are you doing on TornevallNET? Thought you could pull a fast one on
    me and i wouldn't notice huh? You just want to make sure you can get on those
    Obama newsgroups and give the people who voted for him proper shit.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jan 21, 2009
  12. Fastmoggy

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 00:03:47 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Try cleaning the screen with a soapy damp cloth (*not* wet: you don't want
    >drips) and then wiping with a plain damp one until all the streaks go
    >away. Do this while the monitor is *on* with a bright one colour
    >background optimally.

    O...M...F...G....

    Wow, just plain... Wow.

    Stupidity at it's finest.

    Evan Platt, Jan 21, 2009
  13. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Fastmoggy" <> wrote:

    >> The desktop icon names are blurred

    >> but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word

    > Try cleaning the screen with a soapy damp cloth

    and be sure to use the Blurry Icon & Name Soap
    and *not* the Other Application Soap.

    Geez, chuckie... kindly reach up to your brain cell, and restore the
    O-F-F switch for its Logic Module to the O-N position.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 21, 2009
  14. Fastmoggy

    chuckcar Guest

    "nobody >" <> wrote in

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 00:03:47 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try cleaning the screen with a soapy damp cloth (*not* wet: you don't
    >>> want drips) and then wiping with a plain damp one until all the
    >>> streaks go away. Do this while the monitor is *on* with a bright one
    >>> colour background optimally.

    >> O...M...F...G....
    >>
    >> Wow, just plain... Wow.
    >>
    >> Stupidity at it's finest.

    > Whaddayaexpect from Chucktard? My SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) is
    > that he gets it right about one in ten posts or about once a week
    > sometimes.

    Well, what do you know. *Two* replies from people agreeing with Evan. I've
    got to be right.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 21, 2009
  15. Fastmoggy

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 03:30:01 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Well, what do you know. *Two* replies from people agreeing with Evan. I've
    >got to be right.

    You stupid ignorant son-of-a-bitch dumb bastard. Jesus christ I've met
    some dumb bastards in my time but you outdo them all.

    Evan Platt, Jan 21, 2009
  16. Fastmoggy

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:50:36 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 03:30:01 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Well, what do you know. *Two* replies from people agreeing with Evan.
    >>I've got to be right.

    > You stupid ignorant son-of-a-bitch dumb bastard. Jesus christ I've met
    > some dumb bastards in my time but you outdo them all.

    Why don't you two just get a room?

    Dan C, Jan 21, 2009
  17. Fastmoggy

    wrote:

    >Try cleaning the screen with a soapy damp cloth (*not* wet: you don't want
    >drips) and then wiping with a plain damp one until all the streaks go
    >away. Do this while the monitor is *on* with a bright one colour
    >background optimally.

    Hey dumbfuck,

    OP stated Notepad is fine. Icon names aren't.

    Yet, it's gotta be dirt on the screen right?

    I bet you have white out on your screen.

    Maroon.

    Evan Platt, Jan 21, 2009
  18. Fastmoggy

    elaich Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > You stupid ignorant son-of-a-bitch dumb bastard. Jesus christ I've met
    > some dumb bastards in my time but you outdo them all.

    He comes from alt.appalachian. Make your own suppostions.

    elaich, Jan 21, 2009
  19. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in message

    > Strange problem with just the Desktop being out of focus.
    > State what OS you are using 98,ME,2000,XP,Vista?.
    >
    > Do a search for shelliconcache and delete it.
    > Then reboot and see if that helps. (This just causes Windows to rebuild
    > the
    > icons and create a new shelliconcache file).
    > Hopefully someone will come along to give the proper answer.

    Hi, reinstalled drivers for video card but still the same. O/S is XP with
    service pack 3
    i will put his monitor on in a bit to see what happens. I'll report back on
    results.

    Fastmoggy, Jan 21, 2009
  20. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    "Fastmoggy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
    > The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu text
    > but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word and msm.
    > Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk enviroment?
    > Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it so slightly
    > confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if problems
    > persist.
    > The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
    > used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
    > something.
    > the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati catalyst on the
    > disk.
    > Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

    Ok swopped monitors and it appears the 'blurred' one is buggered. my monitor
    pin sharp on his and his blurred on mine.
    I was hopeing it was a software fault but looks like he's going to be buying
    a new lcd monitor.
    Whats the life expectancy of a midrange monitor? It's about 4 years old and
    in past 2 used on average (id guess) 7 hours a day evrey day give or take
    how long he's online gameing/msm ect ect.

    Thanks to all who gave useful tips on what mite be wrong but alas the
    monitor is no more.

    Fastmoggy, Jan 21, 2009