Blurb: user experience

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kinon O'Cann, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. Kinon O'Cann

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    I've tried a few services to make "coffee table" style books, and Blurb was
    the latest, so I thought I pass along a brief description of the experience.

    The software used to create the book is good, but not perfect. I'd still
    prefer the ability to simply create a PDF file in the proper size and
    format, and sent that to the printer. It seems that no matter how much
    flexibility they think they've built into the program, you want more. For
    example, landscape full bleed images are possible, but not portrait. Why?

    The upload process is smooth, and presented no problems. However, after
    upload, I got little feedback, in fact almost none until the book shipped a
    week later. Not a huge issue, though. One thing I'd like to see is the
    ability to connect and check on the status of the book/order. Not possible
    with the current web site (www.blurb.com)

    The book itself is OK, but I'd like to see printing that equals my ink jet
    (an Epson 2200). None of them do, and all of them seem to use the "color
    Xerox" type of printing. The quality is OK, but really, it's just adequate
    and will not match any photo ink jet printer. I'd like to see higher quality
    printing with glossy pages.

    Overall, the addition of a glossy jacket is a nice touch, and the ability to
    create huge books is a big plus, but I'm still wanting for image quality.
    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Kinon O'Cann

    Pat Guest

    Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    > I've tried a few services to make "coffee table" style books, and Blurb was
    > the latest, so I thought I pass along a brief description of the experience.
    >
    > The software used to create the book is good, but not perfect. I'd still
    > prefer the ability to simply create a PDF file in the proper size and
    > format, and sent that to the printer. It seems that no matter how much
    > flexibility they think they've built into the program, you want more. For
    > example, landscape full bleed images are possible, but not portrait. Why?
    >
    > The upload process is smooth, and presented no problems. However, after
    > upload, I got little feedback, in fact almost none until the book shipped a
    > week later. Not a huge issue, though. One thing I'd like to see is the
    > ability to connect and check on the status of the book/order. Not possible
    > with the current web site (www.blurb.com)
    >
    > The book itself is OK, but I'd like to see printing that equals my ink jet
    > (an Epson 2200). None of them do, and all of them seem to use the "color
    > Xerox" type of printing. The quality is OK, but really, it's just adequate
    > and will not match any photo ink jet printer. I'd like to see higher quality
    > printing with glossy pages.
    >
    > Overall, the addition of a glossy jacket is a nice touch, and the ability to
    > create huge books is a big plus, but I'm still wanting for image quality.

    But you're paying a buck a page. That's Walmart pricing. It costs
    more than that to get a decent 8x10 print, let alone the binding.

    There are lots of other companies out there that do similar work with
    excellent results -- better than your ink-jet could do, but they are
    10X more expensive. For the price, you're probably getting a good deal.
    Pat, Nov 8, 2006

  3. Kinon O'Cann

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message

    > Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    >> I've tried a few services to make "coffee table" style books, and Blurb
    >> was
    >> the latest, so I thought I pass along a brief description of the
    >> experience.
    >>
    >> The software used to create the book is good, but not perfect. I'd still
    >> prefer the ability to simply create a PDF file in the proper size and
    >> format, and sent that to the printer. It seems that no matter how much
    >> flexibility they think they've built into the program, you want more. For
    >> example, landscape full bleed images are possible, but not portrait. Why?
    >>
    >> The upload process is smooth, and presented no problems. However, after
    >> upload, I got little feedback, in fact almost none until the book shipped
    >> week later. Not a huge issue, though. One thing I'd like to see is the
    >> ability to connect and check on the status of the book/order. Not
    >> possible
    >> with the current web site (www.blurb.com)
    >>
    >> The book itself is OK, but I'd like to see printing that equals my ink
    >> jet
    >> (an Epson 2200). None of them do, and all of them seem to use the "color
    >> Xerox" type of printing. The quality is OK, but really, it's just
    >> adequate
    >> and will not match any photo ink jet printer. I'd like to see higher
    >> quality
    >> printing with glossy pages.
    >>
    >> Overall, the addition of a glossy jacket is a nice touch, and the ability
    >> create huge books is a big plus, but I'm still wanting for image quality.

    > But you're paying a buck a page. That's Walmart pricing. It costs
    > more than that to get a decent 8x10 print, let alone the binding.
    >
    > There are lots of other companies out there that do similar work with
    > excellent results -- better than your ink-jet could do, but they are
    > 10X more expensive. For the price, you're probably getting a good deal.

    Can you point me to some of the other companies who will do higher quality
    books? If any look good, I'll give them a try, as well.

    Kinon O'cann, Nov 11, 2006
  4. Kinon O'Cann

    Pat Guest

    Send me an email and I'll see what I can come up with.

    Pat, Nov 11, 2006