BluRay Disc pricing released

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Catalog titles : $18
    New releases : $24

    but these are WHOLESALE prices. Anyone know about what that means to
    the consumer? Article says that it's about the same as when DVDs hit
    the market, and IIRC the in-store price was around $30+

    i don't like how the Sony guy mentions Managed Copy with bundled
    dvds+umd. He talks about multiple versions of a movie but the bundle
    just means that you get a discount on purchasing a separate version.
    That's not how I want it.

    -goro-

    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...T101725Z_01_N08286567_RTRUKOC_0_US-BLURAY.xml

    By Thomas K. Arnold

    LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Sony Pictures on Tuesday became the
    first major studio to put a price tag on Blu-ray discs when they become
    available in U.S. stores this year.

    At the same time, the studio unveiled what many observers believe will
    be a key component of the next-generation, high-definition optical
    disc's marketing strategy: bundling various formats together to give
    consumers more flexibility and mobility.

    Catalog Blu-ray disc titles will wholesale for $17.95, about the same
    as DVDs when that format hit the market in 1997. New-release Blu-ray
    discs will wholesale for $23.45, a premium of 15%-20% over what
    suppliers were charging for new theatrical DVDs.

    The higher pricing structure for new releases is meant to accommodate
    the sell-through and rental markets, said Benjamin Feingold, president
    of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. He noted that in at the dawn of
    DVD in 1997, most movies initially were released on rental-priced
    videocassettes.

    "The premium is for a way better format and to remind retailers that at
    the time we launched DVD, VHS was selling for $55 wholesale in the
    first window," Feingold said.

    He added that Sony will not attach any suggested list prices to its
    Blu-ray discs, at least not at this time.

    "From the retail perspective, this is going to be a hot product, and
    retailers will no doubt determine their own margin structure," he said.
    "We believe in a free market."

    Blu-ray discs likely will start showing up in stores by early summer,
    sources say. In advance of that, Sony is bowing a bundling concept to
    DVD and the Universal Media Disc (UMD) that it may migrate to Blu-ray.

    Starting March 28, consumers can buy DVD-UMD combo packs of "The
    Grudge," "Resident Evil," "Underworld," "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
    Dragon" and MGM's "The Terminator" for just pennies more than Sony
    typically charges for a new DVD.

    A second batch of DVD-UMD combos -- "Ghostbusters," "Mad Max," "The
    Fifth Element" and "Snatch" -- arrives April 25, with a third wave is
    slated to come on the market in May.

    Each combo is priced at $28.95. Sony typically charges $24.96-$26.96
    for new DVD releases, while titles new to UMD generally list for
    $19.95.

    Feingold said that is a taste of what consumers can expect when Blu-ray
    discs appear in stores.

    "With the launch of Blu-ray, we're going to try to introduce the
    managed-copy concept, where if you buy Blu-ray you'll be able to get
    additional versions (of the same title) to use in your home," Feingold
    said. "Ultimately, we might even get to the point where we'll offer
    consumers the ability to have different versions of the same movie on
    different devices in the home -- that's something we're working on."

    For now, Feingold said, "we're experimenting with UMD," the tiny
    optical-disc format playable only on Sony's handheld PlayStation
    Portable (PSP).

    "A lot of people have DVD players and also have PSPs, and this way for
    one price they can get one movie and play it back on both formats,"
    Feingold said.

    Feingold would not specify whether future Blu-ray bundling would be
    electronic or physical, as is the case with the DVD-UMD combo packs.

    Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
    Goro, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Goro

    Impmon Guest

    On 8 Feb 2006 10:44:13 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >"With the launch of Blu-ray, we're going to try to introduce the
    >managed-copy concept, where if you buy Blu-ray you'll be able to get
    >additional versions (of the same title) to use in your home," Feingold
    >said. "Ultimately, we might even get to the point where we'll offer
    >consumers the ability to have different versions of the same movie on
    >different devices in the home -- that's something we're working on."

    Does that mean Sony will eventually release a set containing Blu-ray,
    UMD, older SVS, VHS, and VTR in one $30 package? My VTR has been
    gathering dust since the VHS/BETA war years ago.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
    Impmon, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Goro

    kaydigi Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in message
    > Catalog titles : $18
    > New releases : $24
    >
    > but these are WHOLESALE prices. Anyone know about what that means to
    > the consumer? Article says that it's about the same as when DVDs hit
    > the market, and IIRC the in-store price was around $30+
    >
    > i don't like how the Sony guy mentions Managed Copy with bundled
    > dvds+umd. He talks about multiple versions of a movie but the bundle
    > just means that you get a discount on purchasing a separate version.
    > That's not how I want it.
    >
    > -goro-

    You are looking at $39 MSRP for new release titles and around $29.99 or $34
    MSRP for catalog.

    I wonder how first week prices will look

    kaydigi, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Goro

    Rich Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:04:34 GMT, "kaydigi"
    <> wrote:

    >"Goro" <> wrote in message
    >> Catalog titles : $18
    >> New releases : $24
    >>
    >> but these are WHOLESALE prices. Anyone know about what that means to
    >> the consumer? Article says that it's about the same as when DVDs hit
    >> the market, and IIRC the in-store price was around $30+
    >>
    >> i don't like how the Sony guy mentions Managed Copy with bundled
    >> dvds+umd. He talks about multiple versions of a movie but the bundle
    >> just means that you get a discount on purchasing a separate version.
    >> That's not how I want it.
    >>
    >> -goro-

    >You are looking at $39 MSRP for new release titles and around $29.99 or $34
    >MSRP for catalog.

    Ripoff. HD-DVD shouldn't be this much when they come out, but then we
    already knew Blu-ray's stupid technology was going to cost.
    -Rich
    Rich, Feb 8, 2006
  5. Goro

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    In article <>,
    "Goro" <> wrote:

    > Catalog titles : $18
    > New releases : $24

    When a bookstore buys a book from a distributor (middle man) it
    typically pays 60% of list price plus shipping. If these (wholesale)
    prices are distributor selling prices then the retail would be about 30
    and 40 respectively.

    I figure add 50% and subtract 25%, so a 24 dollar new release would be
    about 36 dollars sticker minus 9 dollars at bb, cc, etc. So you get it
    on opening week for 27 bucks.

    dick
    -- if that's the case, with the possibility of mandatory network
    connections, I'll just be stuck with the 14.99 to 17.99 first week
    prices for the regular DVDs.
    Dick Sidbury, Feb 9, 2006
  6. Goro

    Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Goro" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Catalog titles : $18
    > > New releases : $24
    > >

    > When a bookstore buys a book from a distributor (middle man) it
    > typically pays 60% of list price plus shipping. If these (wholesale)
    > prices are distributor selling prices then the retail would be about 30
    > and 40 respectively.
    >
    > I figure add 50% and subtract 25%, so a 24 dollar new release would be
    > about 36 dollars sticker minus 9 dollars at bb, cc, etc. So you get it
    > on opening week for 27 bucks.
    >
    > dick
    > -- if that's the case, with the possibility of mandatory network
    > connections, I'll just be stuck with the 14.99 to 17.99 first week
    > prices for the regular DVDs.

    $27.00 plus two, maybe three dollars for sales tax for each title
    (depending on your state)???
    Man BR had better be one hell of a leap in quality over the current
    generation DVD (which btw has already given me the best picture/sound
    quality I have ever experienced on the small screen) before I will even
    begin to consider switching over my library of titles!
    Especially so when you factor in things like (for example) that around
    90% of the current crop of titles out are taken from predigital master
    prints to begin with, which means that using BR to squeeze out that
    last ounce in quality is simply not needed, also factor in that you can
    use an Upconverting DVD player (which are going for under $150.00 off
    the shelf price any day of the week at say CC) which can give you near
    HD quality with the current generation dvd...well you do the math?
    New equipment (Players/Recorder) and new disc costs to replace all my
    crop of titles, from Alien to Star Trek TOS to Zulu Versus $150.00
    (maybe less if I catch a sale) for a new DVD player or two?
    Not Even Close!!!
    , Feb 9, 2006
  7. Goro

    Jeff Rife Guest

    () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Especially so when you factor in things like (for example) that around
    > 90% of the current crop of titles out are taken from predigital master
    > prints to begin with

    I'm not sure what you mean here, but film has a lot more resolution than
    most digital video camera systems, and *everything* is getting telecined
    at HD (or higher) these days.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going
    Jeff Rife, Feb 9, 2006
  8. Goro

    Goro Guest

    wrote:
    > Dick Sidbury wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Goro" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Catalog titles : $18
    > > > New releases : $24
    > > >

    > > When a bookstore buys a book from a distributor (middle man) it
    > > typically pays 60% of list price plus shipping. If these (wholesale)
    > > prices are distributor selling prices then the retail would be about 30
    > > and 40 respectively.
    > >
    > > I figure add 50% and subtract 25%, so a 24 dollar new release would be
    > > about 36 dollars sticker minus 9 dollars at bb, cc, etc. So you get it
    > > on opening week for 27 bucks.
    > >
    > > dick
    > > -- if that's the case, with the possibility of mandatory network
    > > connections, I'll just be stuck with the 14.99 to 17.99 first week
    > > prices for the regular DVDs.

    > $27.00 plus two, maybe three dollars for sales tax for each title
    > (depending on your state)???
    > Man BR had better be one hell of a leap in quality over the current
    > generation DVD (which btw has already given me the best picture/sound
    > quality I have ever experienced on the small screen) before I will even
    > begin to consider switching over my library of titles!
    > Especially so when you factor in things like (for example) that around
    > 90% of the current crop of titles out are taken from predigital master
    > prints to begin with, which means that using BR to squeeze out that
    > last ounce in quality is simply not needed, also factor in that you can
    > use an Upconverting DVD player (which are going for under $150.00 off
    > the shelf price any day of the week at say CC) which can give you near
    > HD quality with the current generation dvd...well you do the math?
    > New equipment (Players/Recorder) and new disc costs to replace all my
    > crop of titles, from Alien to Star Trek TOS to Zulu Versus $150.00
    > (maybe less if I catch a sale) for a new DVD player or two?
    > Not Even Close!!!

    I've got to say that HD (imo) just blows DVD away. I haven't seen
    BluRay or HD-DVD, but the OTA HD I've watched SuperBowel, BCS Games,
    PBS HD, and various tv shows in HD. It jsut looks much better, even
    though there are still some noticeable issues (especially in
    NASCAR/Football when it pans the crowd).

    Many years ago, I started noticing DVDs image limitations, artifacting,
    macroblocking. If BR just gave higher bandwidth for a less compressed
    image allowing for no (or very little) artifacting then that alone
    would be worht it (agin imo). The fact that it's 1080p makes it highly
    desirable.

    I must say that I'm getting a touch of the deja vu now. This is
    sounding almost EXACTLY like alt.video.laserdisc just prior to DVD
    release. After about 2-3 years on the market, a good number of people
    here will understand and appreciate the difference b/w BRD and DVD.

    Now, i do accept that it may end up a niche market as the incremental
    advantage of BRD over DVD may not be importatn enough for the
    mainstream consumer. There's also all the DRM nonsense that's going
    on. And oh yeah, there's this small format war thing (though it seems
    to me that it'slikely to end up in BRDs favor).

    So perosnally, i'm holding off until 2nd or 3rd gen players in the <$1k
    range before jumping in.

    -goro-
    Goro, Feb 10, 2006