Blur with neon lights and dancing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by simo, May 19, 2004.

  1. simo

    simo Guest

    I have a Nikon Coolpix 2500 and whenever I try to take photo's of
    dance performances it just comes out as a huge blur mostly. I've found
    that using the flash helps a little (I guess the gigs are usually
    kinda dark) not sure why that helps the focus....

    Also, when I take photographs of things with bright lights, like in
    Vegas or of neon signs, the focus just doesn't seem to work at all -
    and if you put the flash on, it focuses, but you can't see the lights
    (it's as if they were turned off!) I guess because the flash is
    brighter?

    I've tried the various "modes" on the camera like "night portrait",
    "indoor party", "outdoor fireworks" etc. but they never seem to do any
    good (actually they seem to only affect the viewfinder, not the final
    picture!)

    I've also tried the "best shot selector" which apparently selects the
    best shot from a number of images taken in quick succession when you
    hold down the button. That doesn't seem to work well either.

    I've heard that it could be a problem of slow CompactFlash cards,
    although it seems the same on both that I have, which are entirely
    different specs.

    So any hints or tips? I'm not really sure what I'm doing when I try to
    manually override the settings for exposure etc.

    Cheers ;o)
    simo, May 19, 2004

  2. simo

    Beck Guest

    "simo" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Nikon Coolpix 2500 and whenever I try to take photo's of
    > dance performances it just comes out as a huge blur mostly. I've found
    > that using the flash helps a little (I guess the gigs are usually
    > kinda dark) not sure why that helps the focus....
    >
    > Also, when I take photographs of things with bright lights, like in
    > Vegas or of neon signs, the focus just doesn't seem to work at all -
    > and if you put the flash on, it focuses, but you can't see the lights
    > (it's as if they were turned off!) I guess because the flash is
    > brighter?
    >
    > I've tried the various "modes" on the camera like "night portrait",
    > "indoor party", "outdoor fireworks" etc. but they never seem to do any
    > good (actually they seem to only affect the viewfinder, not the final
    > picture!)
    >
    > I've also tried the "best shot selector" which apparently selects the
    > best shot from a number of images taken in quick succession when you
    > hold down the button. That doesn't seem to work well either.
    >
    > I've heard that it could be a problem of slow CompactFlash cards,
    > although it seems the same on both that I have, which are entirely
    > different specs.
    >
    > So any hints or tips? I'm not really sure what I'm doing when I try to
    > manually override the settings for exposure etc.

    Do you have a Tungsten flash setting? (may need to check your manual) I
    managed to capture neon sign with a tungsten flash, most of the picture was
    clear with an extremely slight blur, but acceptable.
    Beck, May 19, 2004

  3. simo

    m Ransley Guest

    You need to learn the limitations of the camera as you have seen ,
    Tripod for Vegas at night I think would be a minimum add a Cable
    Release.
    Dances , Maybe you are over the limits of what you have. Or Flash.
    Cameras have limits, use them they are specified. Follow the manual
    Or get a camera with larger limits.
    Or Film Kodachrome 64 leaves few limits. it has Imagination error
    and saturation qualities. Or spend Alot, Alot , more
    m Ransley, May 20, 2004
  4. simo

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (simo) stated that:

    >I have a Nikon Coolpix 2500 and whenever I try to take photo's of
    >dance performances it just comes out as a huge blur mostly. I've found
    >that using the flash helps a little (I guess the gigs are usually
    >kinda dark) not sure why that helps the focus....

    The problem isn't poor focus, it's motion blur, that's why using the
    flash helps. In bad light, cameras need to keep the shutter open longer
    to get enough light for a good exposure, & if you or your subject move
    during that time, your shot will be blurry.
    Photographing dance performances with available light only is very
    difficult, even for high end cameras, much less digicams.

    Lionel, May 20, 2004