Blur and Snow with Canon SD400

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Stein, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. Alan Stein

    Alan Stein Guest

    Today, I took a handful of snapshots (I wouldn't call them
    photographs) without paying too much attention and found they were
    incredibly blurry when I transferred them to my computer. (I hadn't
    paid too much attention when I took them.)

    To get an idea of how blurry, they were photographs of people, from
    about 5 feet away, with a flash, and the faces were barely
    recognizable. (I didn't notice when taking the pictures since I looked
    through the optical viewfinder.)

    I then looked through the digital viewfinder and noticed everything
    was both blurry and somewhat snowy, with the pixels moving almost in a
    wave.

    I took the battery out for about an hour, put it back in, took a few
    test shots and found both the digital viewfinder and the pictures
    themselves were not nearly as blurry, but they still seemed to lack
    sharpness.

    I suspect I have a lemon and will need to send it back to Canon for
    repair or replacement, but am wondering whether anyone else has had a
    similar experience.

    --
    Alan Stein a.stein/nospamplease/@snet.net

    Alan Stein, Dec 15, 2005

  2. In article <>, Alan Stein <> wrote:

    > Today, I took a handful of snapshots (I wouldn't call them
    > photographs) without paying too much attention and found they were
    > incredibly blurry when I transferred them to my computer. (I hadn't
    > paid too much attention when I took them.)

    Alan-

    I've had this happen to a couple of otherwise good cameras. In each case,
    I had been in an air-conditioned building and took the camera outside
    where the humidity was high from a recent rainstorm. The resulting
    pictures were like looking through a fog.

    After the cameras warmed up a while, the fog on the lens cleared up. If
    yours never clears up, then the problem is most likely something else.
    Can you see anything like trash inside the lens?

    Is the lens cover retracting fully? Someone else mentioned that they had
    a jammed cover. They managed to remove it, and continued to use the
    camera with no lens protection.

    So far, I haven't had this problem with my new SD-400. My only complaints
    are extreme red-eye, and the sensor is not centered on what the optical
    finder sees.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Dec 15, 2005

  3. Alan Stein

    Alan Stein Guest

    Thanks. I'm 99% certain none of those are the cause. The camera had
    been indoors and then in my pants pocket for a few minutes when I went
    to another building to take some pictures. No air conditioning - it's
    sub-freezing around here now - and there was no condensation on the
    viewfinder. Now that I'm paying more attention, the digital viewfinder
    looks very grainy, something that wasn't the case with my previous
    digital camera, a 1 megapixel Olympus that seemed to generally get
    better photos than my new 5 megapixel Canon.

    --
    Alan Stein a.stein/nospamplease/@snet.net

    Alan Stein, Dec 15, 2005
  4. "Alan Stein" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Thanks. I'm 99% certain none of those are the cause. The camera had
    > been indoors and then in my pants pocket for a few minutes when I went
    > to another building to take some pictures. No air conditioning - it's
    > sub-freezing around here now - and there was no condensation on the
    > viewfinder. Now that I'm paying more attention, the digital viewfinder
    > looks very grainy, something that wasn't the case with my previous
    > digital camera, a 1 megapixel Olympus that seemed to generally get
    > better photos than my new 5 megapixel Canon.

    Alan:

    Is it possible that these were indoor picture situations with relatively low
    lighting? Many small cameras will significantly increase their gain to show
    you the scene on the LCD, when the ambient lighting is insufficient. Of
    course the live picture on the LCD will be quite noisy (perhaps what you
    mean by "grainy"). Of course, the picture is taken with a flash, so the
    scene should look much better in the resulting picture... unless you are
    taking a picture of something more than 15 feet or so away. Most flashes
    on P&S cameras have a very limited range. And, if you didn't use the
    flash, then you might be seeing the noisy result of the high ISO the camera
    needed to use to properly expose the picture. So, do you also notice the
    undesirable effects with good lighting?

    --
    Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
    space)[com]

    Dan Wojciechowski, Dec 16, 2005
  5. Alan Stein

    Alan Stein Guest

    I looked through all the photos I've taken with the Canon SD400,
    indoors and out, with and without flash, and found none of them seemed
    sharp, all of them less clear than I would have expected with my five
    year old, 1.2 megapixel Olympus D-460. I've now sent the Canon back
    for repairs.

    Alan Stein, Dec 20, 2005