    --------------------
    Michael Valentine
    "Scottish and proud of it"

    MikeV, May 11, 2005

  2. MikeV

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 12:21:41 GMT, "MikeV"
    <> wrote:

    >Blueyonder now carry uk.telecom.voip
    >
    >I just feel sorry for NTL users

    I guess many of us pay our annual 10 Euro to news.individual.net (who
    added the group almost as soon as it was available).

    :)

    --
    Mark

    Mark, May 11, 2005

  3. MikeV

    Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 14:35:56 +0100, Mark <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 May 2005 12:21:41 GMT, "MikeV"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Blueyonder now carry uk.telecom.voip
    >>
    >>I just feel sorry for NTL users

    >I guess many of us pay our annual 10 Euro to news.individual.net (who
    >added the group almost as soon as it was available).
    >
    > :)

    But I am still narked at being forced to buy a separate news service I
    do think that All isp's should provide all groups after all BB
    connections are not cheap ISP's must be making a fortune .

    , May 11, 2005
  4. <> wrote:
    [...]
    > But I am still narked at being forced to buy a separate news service
    > I do think that All isp's should provide all groups after all BB
    > connections are not cheap ISP's must be making a fortune .

    Are you being deliberately dense, or were you born that way?

    Have you any idea of the cost of providing a news service, or do you
    seriously think that lots of fast disk and bandwidth costs nothing?

    --
    PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key

    Please contribute to the beer fund and a tidier house:
    http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZpndc

    Peter Corlett, May 11, 2005
  5. MikeV

    Guest

    On 11 May 2005 14:42:28 GMT, (Peter
    Corlett) wrote:
    >Have you any idea of the cost of providing a news service, or do you
    >seriously think that lots of fast disk and bandwidth costs nothing?

    In that case why do they insist on carrying groups that 99.9% of
    people in the UK would never think of subscribing to ???? Blueyonder
    could chop at least half of the groups it carries and no one would
    bother.

    , May 11, 2005
  6. MikeV

    David Mahon Guest

    In article <428219d4$0$38040$>, Peter Corlett
    <> writes
    ><> wrote:
    >[...]
    >> But I am still narked at being forced to buy a separate news service
    >> I do think that All isp's should provide all groups after all BB
    >> connections are not cheap ISP's must be making a fortune .

    >Are you being deliberately dense, or were you born that way?
    >
    >Have you any idea of the cost of providing a news service, or do you
    >seriously think that lots of fast disk and bandwidth costs nothing?

    A text only (no binaries) news service however, costs, in the grand
    scheme of things the ISP pays for, next to nothing.
    --
    David Mahon

    David Mahon, May 11, 2005
  7. David Mahon <> wrote:
    > Peter Corlett <> writes

    [...]
    >> Have you any idea of the cost of providing a news service, or do
    >> you seriously think that lots of fast disk and bandwidth costs
    >> nothing?

    > A text only (no binaries) news service however, costs, in the grand
    > scheme of things the ISP pays for, next to nothing.

    Oh, I agree, and I've run a full text-only feed before with minimal
    effort. However, the great unwashed seem to mean "fast warez downloads
    without the hazards of P2P" when they ask for news.

    --
    You fall out of your mother's womb, you crawl across open country under fire,
    and drop into your grave.

    Peter Corlett, May 11, 2005
  8. MikeV

    sandman112 Guest

    bout time too ....... although im a tad confused ..... how come its on the
    text server and NOT on the binary server? i asked last week about this being
    added and was told it would appear on the main binary server, then it could
    be added to the text server, yet it just seems to have appeared on the text
    server

    does this mean that they CAN really add new groups as they see fit ??

    sandman112, May 11, 2005
  9. MikeV

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Peter Corlett" <> wrote in message
    > David Mahon <> wrote:
    >> Peter Corlett <> writes

    > [...]
    >>> Have you any idea of the cost of providing a news service, or do
    >>> you seriously think that lots of fast disk and bandwidth costs
    >>> nothing?

    >> A text only (no binaries) news service however, costs, in the grand
    >> scheme of things the ISP pays for, next to nothing.

    > Oh, I agree, and I've run a full text-only feed before with minimal
    > effort. However, the great unwashed seem to mean "fast warez downloads
    > without the hazards of P2P" when they ask for news.

    Isn't news.individual.net a text only service..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 11, 2005