    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    A lie can travel halfway around the world
    while the truth is putting on its shoes.-Mark Twain

    Collector»NZ, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Currently looking at a new PDA with a change from Palm to possibly Ipaq.
    > It seems I will end up with Bluetooth no matter what I get, and my
    > question is..
    > am I correct in assuming that this is basically a short range Wifi type
    > system design to interconnect mobile devices to perherals or does it
    > have other uses.

    Yes
    https://www.bluetooth.org/bluetooth/landing/flash/intro.swf

    Nathan Mercer, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Collector»NZ

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Currently looking at a new PDA with a change from Palm to possibly Ipaq.
    > It seems I will end up with Bluetooth no matter what I get, and my
    > question is..
    > am I correct in assuming that this is basically a short range Wifi type
    > system design to interconnect mobile devices to perherals or does it
    > have other uses.

    That about sums it up, a short range low bandwidth wifi.

    I can pick up a PDA in an office about 10 meters away. This person has
    a Bluetooth dongle on their PC at home and uses it to sync their PDA with.

    The bandwidth is around 700-800kbps IIRC

    If you had a bluetooth cellphone you could link it to a notebook with
    bluetooth to get Internet access. You could do the same with printers,
    headsets or even operate a wireless LAN over bluetooth (you can get
    Bluetooth Access points)

    I have a Microsoft Bluetooth KB and mouse, works well, but heavy on the
    batteries (I mainly got it so I could take my mouse with the notebook,
    but I don't bother doing that usually).

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 3, 2004
  4. "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Currently looking at a new PDA with a change from Palm to possibly Ipaq.
    > It seems I will end up with Bluetooth no matter what I get, and my
    > question is..
    > am I correct in assuming that this is basically a short range Wifi type
    > system design to interconnect mobile devices to perherals or does it have
    > other uses.

    Yes, pretty much. Check this page for a What Is, a couple of downloadable
    animations and Bluetooth Guides (mainly on connecting PDA to other devices,
    Internet Sharing, etc): http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

    Bluetooth guides:

    Mauricio Freitas, Nov 3, 2004
  5. It seems like Wed, 03 Nov 2004 23:01:31 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Currently looking at a new PDA with a change from Palm to possibly Ipaq.
    >It seems I will end up with Bluetooth no matter what I get, and my
    >question is..
    >am I correct in assuming that this is basically a short range Wifi type
    >system design to interconnect mobile devices to perherals or does it
    >have other uses.

    Yup. About 10m is the range I got from a Belkin Bluetooth USB dongle
    on my computer talking to my old Ipaq H2210. Bluetooth was mainly
    useful for me because it can talk to a bluetooth enabled vodafone
    phone (I haven't seem a telecom bluetooth phone yet). So you could
    send txts and receive them through your Ipaq. Maybe even do calling
    (I'm guessing, I never had a bluetooth phone:().

    Think of bluetooth as a new replacement for IRDA, but no aiming.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec