Bluetooth wireless Network - can it be done?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jo Dude, Apr 17, 2005.

  1. Jo Dude

    Jo Dude Guest

    Hi

    I have recently purchased two "Nimbus" Bluetooth USB dongles. Both work
    fine, since I can connect either of them to my cellphone for sending files
    to each other. I would like to be able to now connect my desktop PC with my
    Laptop using the two bluetooth devices. I installed both of them under
    Windows XP. The one would not take with Service Pack 2 installed on it, and
    nobody can help me out with this. I had to unsinall SP2 before it would
    load on correctly, and I wonder if I can still install SP2 again and have
    the device work.

    Can anyone advise regarding SP2 and the use of Bluetooth?

    2. More importantly though - although both devices work fine, I cannot
    network the two machines wirelessly. Is it possible to have an ordinary LAN
    with two bluetooth machines? In other words, is it possible to browse the
    network, see other files, share files between each other, make use of a
    printer which is connected to one, and log into a machine already connected
    to the Internet for the sake of Internet Sharing? If this can be done,
    could someone please help in explaining how to set it up so that it works
    properly? When I click on the button to browse the Bluetooth network, and
    then try and browse the files on either machine, the computer just goes
    silent for a few moments, and hits me with an error message with a number
    next to it. I would so much like to be able to simply browse the network
    and it cannot. Let alone to be able to share a printer (as above) and
    connect Internet Sharing.

    Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. If you know who the main
    distributor of the Nimbus bluetooth adapter is, I would be happy to contact
    them directly as well. I cannot find a site that gives support on this
    particular bluetooth.

    Thanking you in advance!

    Jo Dude, Apr 17, 2005

  2. "Jo Dude" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have recently purchased two "Nimbus" Bluetooth USB dongles. Both work
    > fine, since I can connect either of them to my cellphone for sending files
    > to each other. I would like to be able to now connect my desktop PC with my
    > Laptop using the two bluetooth devices. I installed both of them under
    > Windows XP. The one would not take with Service Pack 2 installed on it, and
    > nobody can help me out with this. I had to unsinall SP2 before it would
    > load on correctly, and I wonder if I can still install SP2 again and have
    > the device work.

    Yes I've done this recently, but with different BT model, which comes
    with Widcom software.
    Widcomm software allows one machine to be "access point", and
    the other one can be PANU.
    MS software in SP2 seems to support only PANU profile, so had to trash it
    and replace to Widcom.

    > Can anyone advise regarding SP2 and the use of Bluetooth?
    >
    > 2. More importantly though - although both devices work fine, I cannot
    > network the two machines wirelessly. Is it possible to have an ordinary LAN
    > with two bluetooth machines? In other words, is it possible to browse the
    > network, see other files, share files between each other, make use of a
    > printer which is connected to one, and log into a machine already connected
    > to the Internet for the sake of Internet Sharing? If this can be done,
    > could someone please help in explaining how to set it up so that it works
    > properly? When I click on the button to browse the Bluetooth network, and
    > then try and browse the files on either machine, the computer just goes
    > silent for a few moments, and hits me with an error message with a number
    > next to it. I would so much like to be able to simply browse the network
    > and it cannot. Let alone to be able to share a printer (as above) and
    > connect Internet Sharing.

    Unfortunately wireless is not simple... if it just works, you're lucky,
    if not - you aren't :(

    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Jo Dude

    Jo Dude Guest

    Thanks for this. Yes... my Nimbus BT also comes with Widcom software, and
    wonder of wonders I finally got it to see the other machine. HOWEVER, that
    doesn't help everything yet. I'd still like to be able to get it toshare
    the Internet Connection. Any ideas on this?

    Thanks again

    Jo Dude, Apr 20, 2005