    VOIP software without wires...

    Thanks in advance,
    Ari Oppenheimer

    ariopp, Jan 24, 2008

  2. ariopp

    B?a?ej Guest

    > For some reason, the quality on both is VERY bad. People have a hard
    > time hearing me and I have a hard time hearing them, compared to using
    > my $3 wired headset.

    From my own experience it would be very hard to improve voice quality. I
    have tried the same thing as you but without any spectacular results.

    B?a?ej, Jan 24, 2008

  3. ariopp

    ariopp Guest

    On Jan 24, 9:42 pm, "B?a?ej" <> wrote:
    > > For some reason, the quality on both is VERY bad. People have a hard
    > > time hearing me and I have a hard time hearing them, compared to using
    > > my $3 wired headset.

    > From my own experience it would be very hard to improve voice quality. I
    > have tried the same thing as you but without any spectacular results.

    My friend uses an ST Labs USB-BT-5 usb dongle with a Motorola H500 and
    Motorola HS820 headset, and he gets spectacular quality. Is it because
    of the headsets that he uses, or is it b/c of his bluetooth dongle?
    My bluetooth dongle is a Kingfox Bluetooth 2.0 EDR dongle.
    Does the dongle make a big difference to quality?
    Also, his bluetooth is manged by the built-in windows bluetooth
    manager, whereas my bluetooth has to use the "Bluesoleil"software.
    Could that also be part of the problem?

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

    ariopp, Jan 24, 2008
  4. ariopp wrote:
    > My friend uses an ST Labs USB-BT-5 usb dongle with a Motorola H500 and
    > Motorola HS820 headset, and he gets spectacular quality. Is it because
    > of the headsets that he uses, or is it b/c of his bluetooth dongle?
    > My bluetooth dongle is a Kingfox Bluetooth 2.0 EDR dongle.
    > Does the dongle make a big difference to quality?
    > Also, his bluetooth is manged by the built-in windows bluetooth
    > manager, whereas my bluetooth has to use the "Bluesoleil"software.
    > Could that also be part of the problem?
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated!

    I'm not right up on the technicalities but maybe the codec's used by
    Bluesoleil aren't up to scratch for your application.

    --
    The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
    belong to.

    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    <http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452>

    Simon Templar, Jan 24, 2008
  5. ariopp

    larry Guest

    ariopp <> wrote in news:db4fd071-9ffe-47e2-a2ba-
    :

    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to use voip over bluetooth to my laptop.
    > I've been through 2 Bluetooth EDR 2.0 adapters (both use Bluesoleil
    > software) + 2 bluetooth headsets (the Motorola H700 and Samsung
    > WEP200)
    > For some reason, the quality on both is VERY bad. People have a hard
    > time hearing me and I have a hard time hearing them, compared to using
    > my $3 wired headset.
    > Could you advise what I'm doing wrong, and maybe, if needed, what
    > alternative I could buy (for under $50) that would enable me to use my
    > VOIP software without wires...
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Ari Oppenheimer

    What does your VoIP sound like with a mic and headphones plugged directly
    into the computer? BT headsets don't make it stumble, at all.

    How much up/down bandwidth does this laptop's internet connection actually
    have? Are you also connecting the laptop via BT to the net or
    Wifi/direct??

    larry, Jan 25, 2008
  6. ariopp

    ariopp Guest

    > What does your VoIP sound like with a mic and headphones plugged directly
    > into the computer?  BT headsets don't make it stumble, at all.
    >
    > How much up/down bandwidth does this laptop's internet connection actually
    > have?  Are you also connecting the laptop via BT to the net or
    > Wifi/direct??

    With mic and headset plugged in directly, sound is perfect! People on
    the other side say that they notice an instant improvement when the
    headset+mic is in. Also, when using bluetooth, there is the occasional
    crackling on my side. That is eliminated when using the headset+mic
    plugged in directly.

    Laptop is on a 10Mbit internet connection and usually all my
    conversations have EXCELLENT quality when using a wired headset. I
    connect to the net directly through wifi. I only get a voip quality
    problem when bluetooth is on.

    I mean, it is bearable, but my friend (with the STlabs dongle and
    motorola H500 headset) has equal quality whether he uses bluetooth or
    wired headset. Infact, I didn't even know he was talking over a
    bluetooth connection until he told me.
    For me, when ussing bluetooth, people hear instantly that there is bad
    quality and ask that I should call back because the line is bad??!!!

    So I need to know-what is wrong- my headset or my dongle? And what
    recommendations do you have for under $50?

    Again, all help is appreciated!

    ariopp, Jan 25, 2008
  7. ariopp

    ariopp Guest

    > What does your VoIP sound like with a mic and headphones plugged directly
    > into the computer?  BT headsets don't make it stumble, at all.
    >
    > How much up/down bandwidth does this laptop's internet connection actually
    > have?  Are you also connecting the laptop via BT to the net or
    > Wifi/direct??

    Hi,
    Voip sounds great with headset+mic plugged in directly. People notice
    an instant improvement when I change from bluetooth to wired. Some
    people even ask me to call them back because they can hardly hear me!?
    Even on my side, I get the occasional "clicking" when using the
    bluetooth.

    My internet connection is 10Mbit, so that shouldn't be a prob. I
    usually have EXCELLENT quality voip with a wired headset. I use wifi
    for my net connection.

    My friend (with the STlabs dongle and Motorola H500 headset) has equal
    quality with wired headset and bluetooth. Infact, I didn't even know
    that he was on bluetooth until he mentioned it to me. Additionally, I
    asked him if he hears any "clicks"during a conversation and he said
    no.

    So my question is- Is the problem with my headset (WEP200) or my
    bluetooth dongle (slim Kingfox EDR 2.0 dongle)?? What are your
    recommendations for under $50 to get this to work with decent quality?

    Again, thanks in advance for any help!

    ariopp, Jan 25, 2008
  8. ariopp

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:36:07 -0800 (PST), ariopp <>
    wrote:

    >> What does your VoIP sound like with a mic and headphones plugged directly
    >> into the computer?  BT headsets don't make it stumble, at all.
    >>
    >> How much up/down bandwidth does this laptop's internet connection actually
    >> have?  Are you also connecting the laptop via BT to the net or
    >> Wifi/direct??

    >Hi,
    >Voip sounds great with headset+mic plugged in directly. People notice
    >an instant improvement when I change from bluetooth to wired. Some
    >people even ask me to call them back because they can hardly hear me!?
    >Even on my side, I get the occasional "clicking" when using the
    >bluetooth.
    >
    >My internet connection is 10Mbit, so that shouldn't be a prob. I
    >usually have EXCELLENT quality voip with a wired headset. I use wifi
    >for my net connection.
    >
    >My friend (with the STlabs dongle and Motorola H500 headset) has equal
    >quality with wired headset and bluetooth. Infact, I didn't even know
    >that he was on bluetooth until he mentioned it to me. Additionally, I
    >asked him if he hears any "clicks"during a conversation and he said
    >no.
    >
    >So my question is- Is the problem with my headset (WEP200) or my
    >bluetooth dongle (slim Kingfox EDR 2.0 dongle)?? What are your
    >recommendations for under $50 to get this to work with decent quality?
    >
    >Again, thanks in advance for any help!

    I did have my bluetooth headset working very well with my XP operating
    system until I updated the Nokia PC suite and it killed it dead. I've
    never managed to get it working at all since then. There are normally
    problems associated with the voice aspect of bluetooth with XP so if
    you got it working you were lucky because it normally involves
    changing the bluetooth stack - I used a Toshiba stack - perhaps your
    software installation did it all for you.
    So, in summary, you can get good quality and performance using a
    bluetooth headset with a PC if you are lucky enough to get it working
    at all. My headset, btw, is a Jabra BT200.
    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---

    Brian A, Jan 25, 2008
  9. ariopp

    larry Guest

    ariopp <> wrote in news:db2d65af-9457-45ab-90e3-
    :

    > Again, all help is appreciated!

    My guess is there is something making noise on 2400 Mhz scrambling the BT
    link. Does this happen everywhere, or just at a certain location?

    Microwave ovens, even a thousand feet away can scramble BT's radio link.
    The operate on 2450 Mhz very near BT's frequency band. I've had my BT
    connection between my Nokia n800 Linux tablet and its BT keyboard I'm
    typing this message on by remote desktop and the BT to its SELLphone
    scrambled in some restaurants.

    larry, Jan 25, 2008
  10. ariopp

    B³a¿ej Guest

    > My guess is there is something making noise on 2400 Mhz scrambling the BT
    > link. Does this happen everywhere, or just at a certain location?

    Maybe you use a WiFi card, most of them work on 2,4GHz carrier.

    B³a¿ej, Jan 25, 2008
  11. ariopp

    Blazej Guest

    >> My friend uses an ST Labs USB-BT-5 usb dongle with a Motorola H500

    I also uses a Motorola H500. This means that the headset is not a problem if
    you get the excellent quality.

    Blazej, Jan 25, 2008
  12. B³a¿ej wrote:
    >> My guess is there is something making noise on 2400 Mhz scrambling the BT
    >> link. Does this happen everywhere, or just at a certain location?

    > Maybe you use a WiFi card, most of them work on 2,4GHz carrier.

    Bluetooth and 802.11b/g (WiFi) share the same frequencies. WiFi makes
    use of several channels, where as Bluetooth is spread out over all the
    channels that WiFi uses.

    If there were multiple WiFi channels in use it would then start to
    encroach on the ability for Bluetooth to work effectively.

    Simon Templar, Jan 25, 2008