Bluetooth setup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. I cannot find 'Bluetooth Devices' in Control Panel. How do I get to this, so
    I can follow the instructions for setting up Bl;uetooth pairing?
    =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=, Nov 13, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Well it depends do you have a Bluetooth device in your PC? Have you turned
    it on? It sounds like either you don't have one, or it's never been turn on.
    Check in device manager and see if one is listed, and what drivers it is
    using.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 13, 2006

  3. Thanks David for your response. I am further on than that!

    I have a Dell notebook which has a Bluetooth module. This module is
    switched on as evidenced by the Bluetooth indicator light. I am trying to
    pair this with my Nokia 9300 mobile phone, which also has Bluetooth switched
    on.

    When I search for new devices from the phone, it cannot find the computer.
    I am guessing that by default the computer Bluetooth is set to 'Hidden'. I
    cannot find where to modify the computer Bluetooth settings, in particular to
    set it to 'Shown to all' or to search for the phone from the computer.

    In the MS Help Center all the instructions refer to "Bluetooth Devices" in
    Control Panel. In my Control Panel there is no item with this name, and no
    other item that has any reference to Bluetooth. I also checked the Device
    Manager (accessed from Control Panel, System, Hardware) - again no item with
    this name and no mention of Bluetooth in any other item.

    I repeat my original question - how do I get Bluetooth Devices installed as
    an item in Control Panel?

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=, Nov 13, 2006
  4. "Graypetter" wrote:
    > I repeat my original question - how do I get Bluetooth Devices installed as
    > an item in Control Panel?

    Please check that BT is enabled in the BIOS setup, or may be your laptop
    has a switch or Fn key that enables BT.
    BT adapter in laptops is often connected to an internal USB port;
    when the connection is switched off, the adapter is invisible in device
    manager.
    When you turn it on first time, Windows will automagically install the driver
    and the control panel applet.

    Regards,
    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Nov 13, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Actually your not. When the Bluetooth device is first power up it is
    discovered, and the Bluetooth drivers are installed, the simple fact that it
    is not seen in device manager suggest that you've never power it up
    successfully. Once power up the My Bluetooth Places is created on the
    desktop and in Control Panel you'll find something like Bluetooth
    Configuration or Bluetooth Devices. In device manager do you have anything
    in the way of unknown devices?

    I'd suggest that you contact Dell and see what they suggest.

    David Hettel, Nov 14, 2006
  6. Thanks to David and Pavel for their help.

    A call to Dell eventually revealed that they had not loaded the Bluetooth
    drivers correctly. A reload has got it all working. The Dell service centre
    was pretty efficient in analysing the problem and talking me through the
    solution.

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=, Nov 14, 2006
  7. hey my name is K and i have a lenovo 3000 V100 and i was wondering you guys
    could help me figure out how to turn of my bluetooth. Thankto my questions
    for listening
    =?Utf-8?B?a3JpbWluYWw=?=, Nov 17, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Not clear if you want to turn it on or off. Either way try Fn F5 (Function
    and F5 (key)) That works on their notebooks

    David Hettel, Nov 17, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    xtendqi Guest

    I have spent five hrs studying Lenova bluetooth connection along with Palm
    bluetooth.

    FIRST OFF: The XP directions to open Control Pannel and click on bluetooth
    are wrong! You must first open Control Pannel AND THEN SWITCH TO CLASSIC
    VIEW whereupon you WILL see a Bluetooth icon.

    SECOND: I am attempting to set up a VIRTUAL SERIAL PORT and the Microsoft
    directions entitled, "Establish a Virtual Serial Port Conneciton Between This
    Computer and Another Bluetooth Device" do not work. Direction #4 says to
    "select the Bluetooth Serial Port check box, and then click next." My XP
    does NOT have a check box!

    Consequently I am trying to find out by reading these posting how to set up
    a Virtual Serial Port. Lenovo wants to charge me $100 for this answer, and
    Microsoft wants $69.00! AND, my Lenovo is BRAND NEW (CAN YOU HEAR MY TOTAL
    FRUSTRATION!!!)
    --
    xtendqi

    xtendqi, Nov 17, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    kalibalth Guest

    i cant find anything either... the driver are installed, and the wireless
    setup thing says that its on, but i have nothing in the control panel or
    anything else i thought tosearch for. i know for a fact that it was at one
    point on this very computer, integrated. no exteral anything. wheni bought
    it, it woked, ive since reformatted, and i cant find it
    kalibalth, Mar 20, 2008
  11. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 20, 11:52 am, kalibalth <> wrote:
    > i cant find anything either... the driver are installed, and the wireless
    > setup thing says that its on, but i have nothing in the control panel or
    > anything else i thought tosearch for. i know for a fact that it was at one
    > point on this very computer, integrated. no exteral anything. wheni bought
    > it, it woked, ive since reformatted, and i cant find it

    Bluetooth protocol has not been standardized. There are three
    versions of the protocol

    1- Microsoft -- Delivered with Windows Xp SP2 --
    2- WidComm (Broadcom)
    3- BlueSoliel

    Head over to the "unit" manufacturer's web site and locate the correct
    drivers.
    smlunatick, Mar 20, 2008
  12. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    Bhavtosh Guest

    hello all,
    very informative thread; i want to share my problem as well.
    -i have lenevo r60 with BT in it
    -i have already enabled my BT from bios
    -i installed latest BT driver from lenevo site
    -i see one parent node "BT Devices" in device manager with only entry under
    it which says "BT enumerator bus"
    - i see BT icon in system tray with blue backgroun color and red image which
    means "The adapter is either not working or the radio is off"
    -when right click that icon i only see two options enabled (i) BT
    configuration and (ii) BT device not found
    -i also tried toggling off/on my Fn+F5 way but no luck as the BT icon stay
    the same

    problem:
    i want to copy music or files from my nokia 6121, n70 and 3110 models to my
    laptop and all three mobiles are BT enabled but my laptop is working properly

    please help

    --
    thanx..
    Bhavtosh

    Bhavtosh, Dec 11, 2008
  13. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    Configure the Fn F5 to display menu, instead of toggle.
    Look what is the BT status there.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Dec 12, 2008
  14. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    Bhavtosh Guest

    i tried doing the same but still the problem remains the same

    --
    thanx..
    Bhavtosh

    Bhavtosh, Dec 13, 2008
  15. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    Deepika Guest

    Hi
    I also have the same problem.
    After reading this complete forum, i want to confirm my understandin that
    only when we pluggin a Bluetooth device in the USB, then only the bluetooth
    drivers get installed. In case win xp Sp2, the supported device will not
    require any extra installations of driver and it will work like plug n play.

    My few doubts are:
    1) I checked the drivers installed in my system through command prompt using
    "driverquery".both signed and unsigned. Bluetooth drivers are not getting
    listed in any list. When will these drivers get listed here??is it only after
    using bluettoth device??? If yes, then i read that win xp sp2 has default
    installation of bluetooth drivers and after that supported devices just
    behave like plug n play.

    2) Is there any way to establish bluetooth communication between a desktop
    PC and mobile without an external devices like bluetooth dongle etc..?

    I am naive to this area so might be these questions might sound too basic.
    Can any body please help me and clarfy on the above points.

    Deepika, Apr 13, 2009
  16. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    Deepika wrote:
    > Hi
    > I also have the same problem.
    > After reading this complete forum, i want to confirm my understandin that
    > only when we pluggin a Bluetooth device in the USB, then only the bluetooth
    > drivers get installed. In case win xp Sp2, the supported device will not
    > require any extra installations of driver and it will work like plug n play.

    Correct. The Windows plug'n'play requires that the device is present
    in order to complete installation of it's driver.

    > My few doubts are:
    > 1) I checked the drivers installed in my system through command prompt using
    > "driverquery".both signed and unsigned. Bluetooth drivers are not getting
    > listed in any list. When will these drivers get listed here??is it only after
    > using bluettoth device???

    Better use Device manager to look at the BT drivers. Note that the BT
    radio driver and all virtual BT devices won't show up in device manager
    by default when not connected to USB.
    How to see drivers of installed but currently disconnected devices:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

    > If yes, then i read that win xp sp2 has default
    > installation of bluetooth drivers and after that supported devices just
    > behave like plug n play.

    Correct.

    > 2) Is there any way to establish bluetooth communication between a desktop
    > PC and mobile without an external devices like bluetooth dongle etc..?

    Sure, many portable computers have BT built in, so you don't need a USB
    dongle with these. But you definitely must have some BT device on both
    sides to establish bluetooth communication :)

    Regards,
    -- pa

    Pavel A., Apr 13, 2009
  17. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    Deepika Guest

    Thanks for the help.
    it was quite useful.
    But actually i am studying this as a part of my project.
    I'll have a desktop PC.
    Can you please help me how to check whether there is any internal BT device
    present or not?
    There is no Bluetooth device coming up in Device manager.
    One more confirmation that whether we can we do programming in Win32 using
    bluetooth API and develop some component which behaves likes a BT device and
    3rd party drivers can be used for support such BT device is not requires as a
    hardware.
    If no then at what layer these bluetooth API are of use?
    This is just my understanding.
    Can you please help me on this

    Deepika, Apr 13, 2009
  18. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    Deepika wrote:

    > I'll have a desktop PC.
    > Can you please help me how to check whether there is any internal BT device
    > present or not?

    Sure. First, find the user manual that comes with that PC, and check
    there. If this step fails, ask an IT person at your school or seller of
    that PC.

    > There is no Bluetooth device coming up in Device manager.
    > One more confirmation that whether we can we do programming in Win32 using
    > bluetooth API and develop some component which behaves likes a BT device and
    > 3rd party drivers can be used for support such BT device is not requires as a
    > hardware.

    Yes. Please refer to MSDN. www.microsoft.com/msdn

    Good luck.
    -- pa
    Pavel A., Apr 13, 2009
  19. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 13, 6:21 pm, Deepika <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the help.
    > it was quite useful.
    > But actually i am studying this as a part of my project.
    > I'll have a desktop PC.
    > Can you please help me how to check whether there is any internal BT device
    > present or not?
    > There is no Bluetooth device coming up in Device manager.
    > One more confirmation that whether we can we do programming in Win32 using
    > bluetooth API and develop some component which behaves likes a BT device and
    > 3rd party drivers can be used for support such BT device is not requires as a
    > hardware.
    > If no then at what layer these bluetooth API are of use?
    > This is just my understanding.
    > Can you please help me on this
    >
    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    > > Deepika wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > > I also have the same problem.
    > > > After reading this complete forum, i want to confirm my understandin that
    > > > only when we pluggin a Bluetooth device in the USB, then only the bluetooth
    > > > drivers get installed. In case win xp Sp2, the supported device will not
    > > > require any extra installations of driver and it will work like plug n play.

    > > Correct. The Windows plug'n'play requires that the device is present
    > > in order to complete installation of it's driver.

    > > > My few doubts are:
    > > > 1) I checked the drivers installed in my system through command prompt using
    > > > "driverquery".both signed and unsigned. Bluetooth drivers are not getting
    > > > listed in any list. When will these drivers get listed here??is it only after
    > > > using bluettoth device???

    > > Better use Device manager to look at the BT drivers. Note that the BT
    > > radio driver and all virtual BT devices won't show up in device manager
    > > by default when not connected to USB.
    > > How to see drivers of installed but currently disconnected devices:
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

    > > > If yes, then i read that win xp sp2 has default
    > > > installation of bluetooth drivers and after that supported devices just
    > > > behave like plug n play.

    > > Correct.

    > > > 2) Is there any way to establish bluetooth communication between a desktop
    > > > PC and mobile without an external devices like bluetooth dongle etc..?

    > > Sure, many portable computers have BT built in, so you don't need a USB
    > > dongle with these. But you definitely must have some BT device on both
    > > sides to establish bluetooth communication :)

    > > Regards,
    > > -- pa

    > > > I am naive to this area so might be these questions might sound too basic.
    > > > Can any body please help me and clarfy on the above points.

    If you have a desktop PC that the Device Manager does not display a
    Bluetooth "radio" then you might definitely not have a Bluetooth
    "dongle" adapter. Most desktop PC do not have any Bluetooth device
    "enabled" at the factory. It is the laptops that tend to be
    delivered with Bluetooth device "factory" installed, as laptop means
    mobility. With a mobility designed PC, users wanted a method of
    connecting to the Internet, or remote to an office, that does not have
    any wires. A lot of cell phones now come with Bluetooth "functions."
    smlunatick, Apr 16, 2009
  20. =?Utf-8?B?R3JheXBldHRlcg==?=

    malaynatin

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Bluetooth problem with Dell

    Hi there. I have exactly the same problem as yours. Can you please share here what Dell Technical Support has told you? I am based in a non-English speaking country so it's quite a challenge to get to them by phone.

    Hope you could help.
    malaynatin, Jan 4, 2010