    for the file. Why does Vista?

    Cheers,

    John.

    JohnD, Mar 5, 2008

  2. JohnD

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 5, 9:48 am, "JohnD" <> wrote:
    > On Vista (and possibly XP), to receive a file from a Bluetooth device one
    > needs to select the "Receive a file" menu item from the system tray icon.
    >
    > Is it possible to set Vista to accept an incoming file without selecting
    > this menu item first?
    >
    > I've just lost a couple of hours failing to get a file from a device because
    > I had hidden the system tray icon, and there was no other way to select the
    > "Receive a file" option. It was only thanks to Google that I found out it
    > was there.
    >
    > Having thought about it, I'm not sure why I need this menu item at all. When
    > I send a file to the device the device does not need to be set to "listen"
    > for the file. Why does Vista?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John.

    Bluetooth has a number of different methods of connecting to the
    device to receive files. My Nokia cell phone can be connected as an
    attached device and will let me copy and paste files to/from it.

    smlunatick, Mar 5, 2008

  3. JohnD

    JohnD Guest

    That's interesting. It is a Nokia N95-8GB that I have. I can send files TO
    the phone without telling the phone to "listen", but I cannot send files
    FROM the phone, without telling Vista to "listen" first.

    /john

    JohnD, Mar 7, 2008