    receiver. I was looking at a Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse. Are they as
    responsive as a RF wireless mouse? I am currently using a Microsoft wireless
    notebook optical mouse.

    Greg, May 8, 2007

  2. Greg

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    news:6L20i.7913$...
    >I currenty am running Vista on a Dell notebook with an internal bluetooth
    >receiver. I was looking at a Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse. Are they as
    >responsive as a RF wireless mouse? I am currently using a Microsoft
    >wireless notebook optical mouse.

    On my Dell (running Vista) with the 350 Bluetooth, and the V270 mouse, I
    find a very small lag time when I first grab the mouse. It really bothers me
    when I'm playing Richochet. After the mouse is moving, the delay disappears.
    It's noticable even in other applications, but not as irritating.

    WhzzKdd, May 8, 2007

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    so initially it is slow but then picks up when moved more? I have the 350
    bluetooth as well. I don't plan on playing any games using it. I'll plug in
    a wired mouse for that. But for just surfing the web or possibly doing some
    AutoCAD stuff.

    Greg, May 8, 2007
  4. Greg

    Flyer Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    >I currenty am running Vista on a Dell notebook with an internal bluetooth
    >receiver. I was looking at a Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse. Are they as
    >responsive as a RF wireless mouse? I am currently using a Microsoft
    >wireless notebook optical mouse.

    Bluetooth is a wireless technology ;-) As far as I know, the two
    technologies may use differing frequencies for operation.

    I currently use a Logitech MX900 Bluetooth mouse, and can't say I've noticed
    any difference to other wireless (non-Bluetooth) mice.
    YMMV

    P.

    Flyer, May 8, 2007
  5. Greg

    Greg Guest

    thanks for the reply.

    Greg, May 8, 2007
  6. Greg

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Greg" <> wrote in message
    >>>I currenty am running Vista on a Dell notebook with an internal bluetooth
    >>>receiver. I was looking at a Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse. Are they as
    >>>responsive as a RF wireless mouse? I am currently using a Microsoft
    >>>wireless notebook optical mouse.
    >>>

    >> On my Dell (running Vista) with the 350 Bluetooth, and the V270 mouse, I
    >> find a very small lag time when I first grab the mouse. It really bothers
    >> me when I'm playing Richochet. After the mouse is moving, the delay
    >> disappears. It's noticable even in other applications, but not as
    >> irritating.
    >>

    > so initially it is slow but then picks up when moved more? I have the 350
    > bluetooth as well. I don't plan on playing any games using it. I'll plug
    > in a wired mouse for that. But for just surfing the web or possibly doing
    > some AutoCAD stuff.

    No, not slow, dead, THEN it moves. Normally I'm a big fan of Logitech mice,
    but this one leaves me a bit unhappy. But here's the thing: I'm using Vista,
    and I'm not impressed with that either <grin>! And the lack of
    responsiveness could very well be caused by Vista, not the mouse.

    For web or email use, the mouse is fine. In DataCAD, I find the movement
    delay to be frustrating - by the time the cursor starts moving, I've
    overshot where I wanted to go.

    WhzzKdd, May 9, 2007
  7. Greg

    Vanguard Guest

    > "Greg" <> wrote in message
    >>I currenty am running Vista on a Dell notebook with an internal
    >>bluetooth receiver. I was looking at a Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse.
    >>Are they as responsive as a RF wireless mouse? I am currently using a
    >>Microsoft wireless notebook optical mouse.
    >>

    > On my Dell (running Vista) with the 350 Bluetooth, and the V270 mouse,
    > I find a very small lag time when I first grab the mouse. It really
    > bothers me when I'm playing Richochet. After the mouse is moving, the
    > delay disappears. It's noticable even in other applications, but not
    > as irritating.

    That happens with all wireless mice. It's their sleep mode (i.e., low
    power). It's how they prolong their battery life. How often they poll
    for a change in coordinates determines how fast they wake up. Logitechs
    wake up faster than Microsoft who wake up faster than IBM. There is
    probably no way to defeat the low-power sleep mode or how long it takes
    before they go into that sleep mode (i.e., the idle interval). Logitech
    is longer than Microsoft who is longer than IBM. The longer the idle
    interval, the less likely the mouse will go to sleep, but the more power
    gets consumed so the batteries die faster. Also, how much you have to
    move the mouse before it detects movement varies with different brands.
    Logitech took a small circle than did Microsoft than did IBM. I trialed
    several wireless mice (I only mention the 3 that I remember best and had
    some quality in construction) and ended up sticking with Logitech
    wireless simply because they take longer to go to sleep and they wake up
    faster but the battery charge doesn't last as long.

    I eventually gave up on wireless mice because they would get erratic
    even before their monitor said the battery voltage was low and because
    of the low-power sleep mode. Wired mice don't go to sleep (but they
    will lower the power to the LED after 3 to 4 seconds but it isn't in
    deep sleep mode). If you have a wireless mouse, there will be a lag
    before it wakes up. Light sleep mode occurs anywhere from 3 to 10
    seconds. Deep sleep mode to preserve battery life can be anywhere from
    1 to 10 minutes of idle time.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329539/en-us

    Do you have any other Bluetooth devices, like a router? Consider
    Bluetooth an intranet of connected devices. The more channels you have
    concurrently active on a controller the less time it can spend on a
    particular device.

    Vanguard, May 9, 2007
  8. Greg

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Greg" <> wrote in message
    >>>I currenty am running Vista on a Dell notebook with an internal bluetooth
    >>>receiver. I was looking at a Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse. Are they as
    >>>responsive as a RF wireless mouse? I am currently using a Microsoft
    >>>wireless notebook optical mouse.
    >>>

    >> On my Dell (running Vista) with the 350 Bluetooth, and the V270 mouse, I
    >> find a very small lag time when I first grab the mouse. It really bothers
    >> me when I'm playing Richochet. After the mouse is moving, the delay
    >> disappears. It's noticable even in other applications, but not as
    >> irritating.
    >>

    > That happens with all wireless mice. It's their sleep mode (i.e., low
    > power).

    I don't think that's the case here. My USB wireless mice don't have this
    "dead" delay, just this Logitech Bluetooth unit. And it doesn't have time to
    go to sleep - the delay happens again within seconds, not minutes.

    <snip>

    > Do you have any other Bluetooth devices, like a router? Consider
    > Bluetooth an intranet of connected devices. The more channels you have
    > concurrently active on a controller the less time it can spend on a
    > particular device.

    Nope. No other devices. So the mouse has the full attention of the
    controller.

    WhzzKdd, May 9, 2007
  9. Greg

    Guest

    "Flyer" <> wrote:

    >Bluetooth is a wireless technology ;-) As far as I know, the two
    >technologies may use differing frequencies for operation.

    Bluetooth uses many frequencies that change so many times a second,
    it's how it gets it's security.

    --
    Spam
    http://www.steelcitysfinest.com/Isuzu.htm

    , May 9, 2007
  10. Greg

    Vanguard Guest

    "WhzzKdd" wrote in message news:_fa0i.87$...

    > "Vanguard" wrote ...
    >
    >> "WhzzKdd" wrote ...
    >>
    >>> On my Dell (running Vista) with the 350 Bluetooth, and the V270
    >>> mouse, I find a very small lag time when I first grab the mouse. It
    >>> really bothers me when I'm playing Richochet. After the mouse is
    >>> moving, the delay disappears. It's noticable even in other
    >>> applications, but not as irritating.

    >> That happens with all wireless mice. It's their sleep mode (i.e.,
    >> low power).

    > I don't think that's the case here. My USB wireless mice don't have
    > this "dead" delay, just this Logitech Bluetooth unit. And it doesn't
    > have time to go to sleep - the delay happens again within seconds, not
    > minutes.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Do you have any other Bluetooth devices, like a router? Consider
    >> Bluetooth an intranet of connected devices. The more channels you
    >> have concurrently active on a controller the less time it can spend
    >> on a particular device.

    > Nope. No other devices. So the mouse has the full attention of the
    > controller.

    What happens if you disable "Require Authentication" and/or "Use
    Encryption" in the Bluetooth preferences? This means lowering security
    for your Bluetooth intranetwork, so try and test and revert back to
    secure settings if the lag doesn't disappear.

    Some have "discoverable" and "tap (click) mouse to wakeup" options so
    check if you have those.

    Might be the nature of the wireless beast. That is, because you went
    wireless, you going to get stuck with this delay.

    Vanguard, May 12, 2007
  11. Greg

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "WhzzKdd" wrote in message news:_fa0i.87$...
    >>
    >> "Vanguard" wrote ...
    >>
    >>> "WhzzKdd" wrote ...

    >>> That happens with all wireless mice. It's their sleep mode (i.e., low
    >>> power).

    >> I don't think that's the case here. My USB wireless mice don't have this
    >> "dead" delay, just this Logitech Bluetooth unit. And it doesn't have time
    >> to go to sleep - the delay happens again within seconds, not minutes.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> Do you have any other Bluetooth devices, like a router? Consider
    >>> Bluetooth an intranet of connected devices. The more channels you have
    >>> concurrently active on a controller the less time it can spend on a
    >>> particular device.

    >> Nope. No other devices. So the mouse has the full attention of the
    >> controller.

    > What happens if you disable "Require Authentication" and/or "Use
    > Encryption" in the Bluetooth preferences? This means lowering security
    > for your Bluetooth intranetwork, so try and test and revert back to secure
    > settings if the lag doesn't disappear.
    >
    > Some have "discoverable" and "tap (click) mouse to wakeup" options so
    > check if you have those.
    >
    > Might be the nature of the wireless beast. That is, because you went
    > wireless, you going to get stuck with this delay.

    I couldn't find those settings - since the mouse isn't considered a network
    device but an HID, it probably doesn't have those options.

    What I DID find that seems to have helped, was turning of the option for the
    laptop to discover bluetooth devices. It must be some type of polling?
    Anyway, the mouse seems to be much better.

    WhzzKdd, May 12, 2007