    transferring photos etc to my computer.

    Tia

    John

    John, Oct 23, 2005

  2. John

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > Hi. Can someone give me the brief lowdown on Bluetooth dongles for
    > PCs? I want to get one for my computer but I'm not sure completely
    > what I need to be looking at and what features. I've seen some that
    > say version 1.1 and others 1.2. Is the 1.2 the latest version for
    > bluetooth and what is the difference? Faster transfer rates? I am
    > getting a new mobile (cell) phone soon, so would use it mainly for
    > transferring photos etc to my computer.

    Difference usually means profiles supported. Get 1.2 and 100 metre
    range. Should cost no more than £25.
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Oct 24, 2005

  3. John

    John Guest

    Bluetooth Class 2?

    I have just one or two more questions on Bluetooth dongles.

    At first I though that these things were only up to version 1.2 with
    the previous 1.1 still available to buy.

    When I have visited a website selling them though it appears that
    there is Class 1.2 and the latest class is class 2. (See below).

    Class 1.2 Bluetooth Dongle (100m Range)
    Class 2 Bluetooth Dongle (40m Range)

    My question is, what are the difference between these two apart from
    the range? I understood the basic difference between 1.1 and 1.2, but
    couldn't find much on class 2 from the sites I looked at.

    Also, as far as the range is concerned, If Class 2 is backwards
    compatible with Class 1.2 and 1.1, if you were only using features of
    1.1 or 1.2 on the class 2 dongle, would you get an improved range to
    the full 100m, or would it always be 40m on the class 2 version no
    matter what features you use?

    I don't really see range being that important with Bluetooth, because
    it is mainly something for short range transfers is it not? I.E.
    transferring photos from phone or camera to computer etc?

    Finally, are there any dangers using bluetooth? eg Radiation etc? They
    transmit using radio waves right?

    John

    John, Oct 28, 2005
  4. John

    Guest

    Re: Bluetooth Class 2?

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:16:37 +0100, John <> wrote:

    >My question is, what are the difference between these two apart from
    >the range?

    As far as I know, it is just the range

    >Also, as far as the range is concerned, If Class 2 is backwards
    >compatible with Class 1.2 and 1.1, if you were only using features of
    >1.1 or 1.2 on the class 2 dongle, would you get an improved range to
    >the full 100m, or would it always be 40m on the class 2 version no
    >matter what features you use?

    Both ends need to be able to manage the range. If A can send signal to
    B, but B can't send signal to A, you are stuffed.

    >I don't really see range being that important with Bluetooth, because
    >it is mainly something for short range transfers is it not? I.E.
    >transferring photos from phone or camera to computer etc?

    Depends on what you use it for. 1 metre well may be enough for you.

    >Finally, are there any dangers using bluetooth? eg Radiation etc? They
    >transmit using radio waves right?

    Are there any dangers eating bread? eg Water etc? Bread contains water
    and people drown in water.

    So do you think people should only eat stale bread for fear of
    drowning?

    If there is a risk from radio waves, what you should worry about is
    the 2,000,000 watt TV transmitters, the 750,000 watt FM Radio
    transmitters, the who-knows-what-watts military radio and radar
    transmitters, not the 30 watt mobile phone bases, up to 0.5 watt
    mobile phones, up to 0.01 watt Class 2 bluetooth or up to 0.1 watt
    Class 1 Bluetooth.

    Let's be clear about this. There are clearly defined accepted limits
    for radio frequency exposure. There limits are set at one fifth of a
    level that is believed to be completely safe. No mobile phone or
    mobile base comes near this "one fifth of a safe limit" level. A
    bluetooth device couldn't come near it even if you swallowed the
    thing.

    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones

    , Oct 29, 2005
  5. John

    Jon Guest

    Re: Bluetooth Class 2?

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > When I have visited a website selling them though it appears that
    > there is Class 1.2 and the latest class is class 2. (See below).

    There are 3 power classes. Class 1 is the most powerful, having a max
    range of around 100m, class 2 is good for about 10m (this is the power
    class you see in mobile phones) and class 3 has a range of about 1m
    (I've never seen this power class used.

    There are also bluetooth version numbers, this is where the 1.0, 1.1 and
    1.2 business comes in. Higher version numbers have support for more
    advanced profiles, such as HID (Human Interface Device - keyboard, mouse
    etc) and SAP (SIM Access Profile - used in built-in vehicle phone system
    to allow the contents of the SIM card to be read by the car kit).
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Oct 29, 2005
  6. John

    rivenglo Guest

    Re: Bluetooth Class 2?

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:16:37 +0100, John <> wrote:

    > bluetooth device couldn't come near it even if you swallowed the
    > thing.

    Would that be the phone or the dongle??

    rivenglo, Oct 29, 2005
  7. John

    Guest

    Re: Bluetooth Class 2?

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:46:06 +0100, "rivenglo"
    <> wrote:

    >Would that be the phone or the dongle??

    If you swallowed a phone, RF would not be your problem.

    However, I have a USB Bluetooth adapter which is probably small enough
    to swallow, You'd need to attach a cable, though. Maybe not a wise
    move.

    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
    Browse now while stocks last!

    , Oct 30, 2005
  8. John

    rivenglo Guest

    Re: Bluetooth Class 2?

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:46:06 +0100, "rivenglo"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Would that be the phone or the dongle??

    > If you swallowed a phone, RF would not be your problem.
    >
    > However, I have a USB Bluetooth adapter which is probably small enough
    > to swallow, You'd need to attach a cable, though. Maybe not a wise
    > move.

    lol

    rivenglo, Oct 31, 2005
  9. John