Bluetooth and wireless bridged...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. I have two laptops - one with a 3com wireless card running winxp connected
    to a 3com wireless ap/router (two wired desktops on that network), also with
    a msi bluetooth adapter.

    I can browse the net and my network files fine with this laptop. Everything
    works the way it should. I've gotten used to configuring that part and have
    set up similar networks for friends and family. In others words, I'm not
    computer stupid. :)

    My other lappy (running win2000) has a msi bt adapter. I set up the bt
    adapters to form a network connection between the two lappies - I can browse
    files fine, no problems. That bit works. I used to use two bt adapters to
    connect my desktop and laptop together and share the desktop's net
    connection before I had the wireless ap/router - it worked fine, so I'm
    figuring now I can chain the second lappy in there two via two bt adapters -
    one on the first lappy and one on the second.

    Now here's the bit I'm not sure on -- if I click the "ICS sharing" button on
    the wireless connections properties then try to bridge that connection to
    the bt connection, I get told that I must pick two connections to be bridged
    that don't have ICS running on them. So I unclick ICS. Then if I try to
    bridge my wireless connection on the first lappy to the bt connection (which
    it will then let me do) in order to share the net connection, file sharing
    still works (can see both laptops files from both laptops) but connection to
    the net via the wireless ap stops working for the first laptop and of
    course, the second laptop gets no net access either. As soon as I unbridge
    the connections I can browse the net from the first laptop again. Is this a
    firewall issue ? A lack of ICS issue ? I have no firewalls running except
    the hardware one built into the router - could this be an issue ? I'm in the
    dark here !

    With me so far ?

    How do I set up the second laptop to access the net through the first
    laptop's wireless connection via bluetooth with or without ICS ? I've tried
    going through the settings as best I know manually and using the network
    setup wizard too but no joy. Can it be done ?

    TIA for any pointers.

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Re: Bluetooth and wireless bridged...Answered my own question !!

    Alright - just slap me seriously in the head. Reading through my post again
    step by step to make sure it made sense it suddenly dawned on me - why am I
    bridging the two connections ? I don't have to do that now (I am used to
    having to bridge the former bt connection on my desktop and my wired
    ethernet connections in order to get ICS to work with the *old* setup - but
    I don't have to do that now.)

    Unbridged the connections, used ICS on the wireless connection and
    (bypassing the unnecessary bridging step that had lodged in my brain as
    being a must), now I can browse the net on the second lappy (via a network
    access bt connection) with the bt adapters.

    Sigh - every day I realise I am not immune to not seeing the wood for the
    trees. :)

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 10, 2004