Bluetalk ATA-386 Starter Pack

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Sparks, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    Sparks, Feb 27, 2006

  2. Sparks

    Nick Guest

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:18:34 -0000, "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Does anyone know if these are locked devices?
    >
    >http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=101739
    >
    >Thanks :)
    >
    >Sparks...

    It's not that we don't care, but we don't know...25 quid is cheap, so
    why don't you buy one and post the answer here! Good luck...

    Nick, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Nick wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:18:34 -0000, "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Does anyone know if these are locked devices?
    >>
    >>http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=101739
    >>
    >>Thanks :)
    >>
    >>Sparks...
    >>

    > It's not that we don't care, but we don't know...25 quid is cheap, so
    > why don't you buy one and post the answer here! Good luck...

    Sounds great, who's going to start making bets that it is locked to
    Bluetalk?

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    > Nick wrote:
    >> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:18:34 -0000, "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know if these are locked devices?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=101739
    >>>
    >>>Thanks :)
    >>>
    >>>Sparks...

    >> It's not that we don't care, but we don't know...25 quid is cheap, so
    >> why don't you buy one and post the answer here! Good luck...

    > Sounds great, who's going to start making bets that it is locked to
    > Bluetalk?

    I have, and it should be here today :)

    Watch this space!

    Sparks...

    Sparks, Mar 1, 2006
  5. Sparks wrote:
    > "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Sounds great, who's going to start making bets that it is locked to
    >>Bluetalk?

    > I have, and it should be here today :)
    >
    > Watch this space!
    >
    > Sparks...

    Cool, please post here if it isn't locked.

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 1, 2006
  6. Sparks

    alexd Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    > Sparks wrote:
    >> "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Sounds great, who's going to start making bets that it is locked to
    >>>Bluetalk?

    >> I have, and it should be here today :)
    >>
    >> Watch this space!
    >>
    >> Sparks...
    >>

    > Cool, please post here if it isn't locked.

    Post here also if it is locked, so we know to avoid it, or can speculate on
    how to unlock it.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:12:47 up 35 days, 31 min, 4 users, load average: 0.29, 0.31, 0.21

    alexd, Mar 1, 2006
  7. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    >> Cool, please post here if it isn't locked.

    > Post here also if it is locked, so we know to avoid it, or can speculate
    > on
    > how to unlock it.

    I will, it didn't arrive today, hopefully tomorrow!

    Sparks...

    Sparks, Mar 1, 2006
  8. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    >>> Cool, please post here if it isn't locked.

    >> Post here also if it is locked, so we know to avoid it, or can speculate
    >> on
    >> how to unlock it.

    > I will, it didn't arrive today, hopefully tomorrow!

    I know the suspense is probably KILLING you here, but alas, eBuyer is living
    up to it's reputation!
    Paid for Priority Express Service, for delivery on 01-03-06

    ....still not here...

    Shitty, sorry, Citylink allege it will be here tomorrow.

    Sparks...

    Sparks, Mar 2, 2006
  9. Sparks

    > "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    >>> Post here also if it is locked, so we know to avoid it, or can speculate
    >>> on
    >>> how to unlock it.

    It appears to be a virgin HanyTone-386 :)

    Firmware is
    My firmware is
    Program-- 1.0.2.16
    Bootloader-- 1.0.7.1
    HTML-- 1.0.0.18
    VOC-- 1.0.0.10

    This seems to be the latest.

    Before connecting it to the network I connected a telephone and changed the
    unit to a static IP address, put in a non existent gateway, and changed the
    TFTP server address to a non existent one.
    (Dial *** 02 IP address (192.168.1.30 would be *** 20 192168001030
    the * subnet mask then * Gateway then * DNS server then * TFTP Address

    For example, to set the following...

    IP Address - 192.168.1.30
    Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
    DNS Server - 192.168.1.5
    Default Gateway - 192.168.1.5
    TFTP Server - 192.168.1.5

    You would dial the following...

    ***02192168001030*255255255000*192168001005*192168001005*192168001005
    <Hangup>

    I then connected my laptop to the unit (off the network, but that should not
    matter, as the unit cant get out to the internet because the DNS Server and
    default gateway are not valid addresses in my example) and logged into the
    unit
    The user password is the default "123" the admin password was also the
    default "admin"

    I then configured it for my asterisk server and then plugged it into my
    network (Still with invalid default gateway and TFTP addresses as I don't
    need them for my setup) all seems to work fine!

    I then logged onto eBuyer to order another one, but it is now showing as
    "Stock Overdue" - Bugger!!

    Sparks...

    Sparks, Mar 3, 2006
  10. Sparks

    alexd Guest

    Sparks wrote:

    > I then logged onto eBuyer to order another one, but it is now showing as
    > "Stock Overdue" - Bugger!!

    Alas, eBuyer seem to have spotted the fatal flaw in their cunning plan.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:49:14 up 37 days, 3:08, 3 users, load average: 0.30, 0.39, 0.31

    alexd, Mar 3, 2006
  11. Sparks

    PL Guest

    Sparks wrote:
    > "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > It appears to be a virgin HanyTone-386 :)
    >
    > Firmware is
    > My firmware is
    > Program-- 1.0.2.16
    > Bootloader-- 1.0.7.1
    > HTML-- 1.0.0.18
    > VOC-- 1.0.0.10
    >
    > This seems to be the latest.
    >
    > Before connecting it to the network I connected a telephone and changed the
    > unit to a static IP address, put in a non existent gateway, and changed the
    > TFTP server address to a non existent one.
    > (Dial *** 02 IP address (192.168.1.30 would be *** 20 192168001030
    > the * subnet mask then * Gateway then * DNS server then * TFTP Address
    >
    > For example, to set the following...
    >
    > IP Address - 192.168.1.30
    > Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
    > DNS Server - 192.168.1.5
    > Default Gateway - 192.168.1.5
    > TFTP Server - 192.168.1.5
    >
    > You would dial the following...
    >
    > ***02192168001030*255255255000*192168001005*192168001005*192168001005
    > <Hangup>
    >
    > I then connected my laptop to the unit (off the network, but that should not
    > matter, as the unit cant get out to the internet because the DNS Server and
    > default gateway are not valid addresses in my example) and logged into the
    > unit
    > The user password is the default "123" the admin password was also the
    > default "admin"
    >
    > I then configured it for my asterisk server and then plugged it into my
    > network (Still with invalid default gateway and TFTP addresses as I don't
    > need them for my setup) all seems to work fine!
    >
    > I then logged onto eBuyer to order another one, but it is now showing as
    > "Stock Overdue" - Bugger!!
    >
    > Sparks...

    I've been keeping an eye on ebuyer's stock level, and lo-and-behold one
    of these units appeared yesterday, so I nabbed it!

    Has everything gone alright with you? What hardware setup do you have?

    PL, Mar 11, 2006
  12. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    "PL" <> wrote in message
    > Sparks wrote:
    >> "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    >> It appears to be a virgin HanyTone-386 :)
    >>
    >> Firmware is
    >> My firmware is
    >> Program-- 1.0.2.16
    >> Bootloader-- 1.0.7.1
    >> HTML-- 1.0.0.18
    >> VOC-- 1.0.0.10
    >>
    >> This seems to be the latest.
    >>
    >> Before connecting it to the network I connected a telephone and changed
    >> the unit to a static IP address, put in a non existent gateway, and
    >> changed the TFTP server address to a non existent one.
    >> (Dial *** 02 IP address (192.168.1.30 would be *** 20 192168001030
    >> the * subnet mask then * Gateway then * DNS server then * TFTP Address
    >>
    >> For example, to set the following...
    >>
    >> IP Address - 192.168.1.30
    >> Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
    >> DNS Server - 192.168.1.5
    >> Default Gateway - 192.168.1.5
    >> TFTP Server - 192.168.1.5
    >>
    >> You would dial the following...
    >>
    >> ***02192168001030*255255255000*192168001005*192168001005*192168001005
    >> <Hangup>
    >>
    >> I then connected my laptop to the unit (off the network, but that should
    >> not matter, as the unit cant get out to the internet because the DNS
    >> Server and default gateway are not valid addresses in my example) and
    >> logged into the unit
    >> The user password is the default "123" the admin password was also the
    >> default "admin"
    >>
    >> I then configured it for my asterisk server and then plugged it into my
    >> network (Still with invalid default gateway and TFTP addresses as I don't
    >> need them for my setup) all seems to work fine!
    >>
    >> I then logged onto eBuyer to order another one, but it is now showing as
    >> "Stock Overdue" - Bugger!!
    >>
    >> Sparks...

    > I've been keeping an eye on ebuyer's stock level, and lo-and-behold one of
    > these units appeared yesterday, so I nabbed it!
    >
    > Has everything gone alright with you? What hardware setup do you have?

    Yep, all working fine :)

    I have an asterisk@home box on a PIII 500, 256MB RAM, 12GB HDD

    A couple of Grandstream 101's an SPA-3000, a PAP2 and an ATA-386

    I have 5 DECT phones in the house, and four normal phones - so I need a
    couple more ATA-386's (or 4 analogue ports anyway!)

    Sparks...

    Sparks, Mar 11, 2006
  13. Sparks

    Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:48:53 -0000, "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    >I have 5 DECT phones in the house, and four normal phones - so I need a
    >couple more ATA-386's (or 4 analogue ports anyway!)

    Oh dear I thought I was getting just a wee bit eccentric having 7
    DECT'S on line will be adding an eighth before midnight once I have
    set up a geo number on Bluetalk :))).

    , Mar 11, 2006
  14. Sparks

    alexd Guest

    Sparks wrote:

    > I have 5 DECT phones in the house, and four normal phones - so I need a
    > couple more ATA-386's (or 4 analogue ports anyway!)

    The Atcom AG-468 has 4 FXS ports for about a ton, but I haven't seen any
    independent comment about it anywhere on the web. Seems like a bit of a
    bargain for 100 quid, looks like it's practically a mini-PBX with a VPN
    client in. Cheap way to add VoIP access at branch offices to their head
    office Asterisk PBX, perhaps?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    10:12:32 up 58 min, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.08, 0.04

    alexd, Mar 12, 2006
  15. alexd wrote:
    > Sparks wrote:
    >

    >>I have 5 DECT phones in the house, and four normal phones - so I need a
    >>couple more ATA-386's (or 4 analogue ports anyway!)

    > The Atcom AG-468 has 4 FXS ports for about a ton, but I haven't seen any
    > independent comment about it anywhere on the web. Seems like a bit of a
    > bargain for 100 quid, looks like it's practically a mini-PBX with a VPN
    > client in. Cheap way to add VoIP access at branch offices to their head
    > office Asterisk PBX, perhaps?

    And whats more, it looks like they support IAX2, strangely they appear
    to cost twice as much in europe as they do in the states.

    I wonder if they (and maybe the atcom deskphones) can be imported from
    china for a decent price.

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 12, 2006
  16. Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > alexd wrote:
    >
    >> Sparks wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 5 DECT phones in the house, and four normal phones - so I need a
    >>> couple more ATA-386's (or 4 analogue ports anyway!)

    >> The Atcom AG-468 has 4 FXS ports for about a ton, but I haven't seen any
    >> independent comment about it anywhere on the web. Seems like a bit of a
    >> bargain for 100 quid, looks like it's practically a mini-PBX with a VPN
    >> client in. Cheap way to add VoIP access at branch offices to their head
    >> office Asterisk PBX, perhaps?
    >>

    > And whats more, it looks like they support IAX2, strangely they appear
    > to cost twice as much in europe as they do in the states.
    >
    > I wonder if they (and maybe the atcom deskphones) can be imported from
    > china for a decent price.

    I'm strongly considering ordering 2 or 3 of these and an atcom handset
    from a chinese dealer as we speak. Has anyone here used either solution
    that may be able to comment on their performance?

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 12, 2006
  17. Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >
    >> alexd wrote:

    >>> The Atcom AG-468 has 4 FXS ports for about a ton, but I haven't seen any
    >>> independent comment about it anywhere on the web. Seems like a bit of a
    >>> bargain for 100 quid, looks like it's practically a mini-PBX with a VPN
    >>> client in. Cheap way to add VoIP access at branch offices to their head
    >>> office Asterisk PBX, perhaps?
    >>>

    >> And whats more, it looks like they support IAX2, strangely they appear
    >> to cost twice as much in europe as they do in the states.
    >>
    >> I wonder if they (and maybe the atcom deskphones) can be imported from
    >> china for a decent price.

    > I'm strongly considering ordering 2 or 3 of these and an atcom handset
    > from a chinese dealer as we speak. Has anyone here used either solution
    > that may be able to comment on their performance?

    Forgot to mention that according to the datasheet, they support T.38.
    I know that the CVS version of asterisk only supports T.38 and that is
    only as passthrough, but do any providers support it yet?

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 12, 2006
  18. Sparks

    alexd Guest

    Atcom AG-468 [wasRe: Bluetalk ATA-386 Starter Pack]

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    > I'm strongly considering ordering 2 or 3 of these and an atcom handset
    > from a chinese dealer as we speak. Has anyone here used either solution
    > that may be able to comment on their performance?

    Without the benefit of personal experience, I'm beginning to wonder if the
    dearth of comment on these things is due to the fact that they're poo,
    perhaps:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/As...&q=atcom ag-468&rnum=5&hl=en#d3b1f702ea707449

    But coming to that conclusion would be like concluding that Sipgate are
    rubbish based on the postings of one person! You might have more luck
    reading reviews of kit based on the same chipset to give you a rough idea.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

    alexd, Mar 12, 2006
  19. Re: Atcom AG-468 [wasRe: Bluetalk ATA-386 Starter Pack]

    alexd wrote:
    > Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >

    >>I'm strongly considering ordering 2 or 3 of these and an atcom handset
    >>from a chinese dealer as we speak. Has anyone here used either solution
    >>that may be able to comment on their performance?

    > Without the benefit of personal experience, I'm beginning to wonder if the
    > dearth of comment on these things is due to the fact that they're poo,
    > perhaps:
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/As...&q=atcom ag-468&rnum=5&hl=en#d3b1f702ea707449
    >
    > But coming to that conclusion would be like concluding that Sipgate are
    > rubbish based on the postings of one person! You might have more luck
    > reading reviews of kit based on the same chipset to give you a rough idea.

    Looking into their forums, it looks like there have been a lot of
    problems with (All but the latest) firmware with calls cutting off, and
    weirdly although the 1 and 2 port versions have an IAX version of their
    firmware available, the 4 port one doesn't.

    I've ordered a couple (along with one of their handsets), will post any
    findings I have here.

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 12, 2006
  20. Re: Atcom AG-468 [wasRe: Bluetalk ATA-386 Starter Pack]

    alexd wrote:

    > Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >

    >> I'm strongly considering ordering 2 or 3 of these and an atcom handset
    >> from a chinese dealer as we speak. Has anyone here used either solution
    >> that may be able to comment on their performance?

    > Without the benefit of personal experience, I'm beginning to wonder

    if the
    > dearth of comment on these things is due to the fact that they're poo,
    > perhaps:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/As...&q=atcom ag-468&rnum=5&hl=en#d3b1f702ea707449

    > But coming to that conclusion would be like concluding that Sipgate are
    > rubbish based on the postings of one person! You might have more luck
    > reading reviews of kit based on the same chipset to give you a rough

    idea.

    Looking into their forums, it looks like there have been a lot of
    problems with (All but the latest) firmware with calls cutting off, and
    weirdly although the 1 and 2 port versions have an IAX version of their
    firmware available, the 4 port one doesn't.

    I've ordered a couple (along with one of their handsets), will post any
    findings I have here.

    The rant in the posting you referred to may be a little unfair, most
    embedded systems have a default IP address set (and fixed), It's very
    unusual (ime, which is mostly 3com, linksys and dlink kit).

    If he'd read the manual (which I agree is poor but the english is
    brilliant considering it was translated form chinese), he'd have noticed
    an IVR menu (accessed by pressing ***) and from that you can switch on
    DHCP via '110#1#'.

    And I think it's fair to say that if a cleaning lady has access to an
    ATA, then the office is poorly designed (though I'm damned if I know why
    one would hold down a reset button for 5 seconds).

    Of course, once I've played with it in a weeks time I'll probably be
    bitching about it.

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 12, 2006