Bluescreens for all different reasons on 64-bit system

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by monkeytuesday, Feb 8, 2008.

  1. Hello everybody,

    Im running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit on a system built last year,
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550, MSI P6N SLI-FI nForce650i SLI, 2GB RAM and ATI Radeon
    1950XT.

    Since 2-3 months back i get a bluescreen about one a day, and for all
    different reasons. They seem to come at random, often when the computer is
    idle (usually with Firefox running), and occationally when i click something
    on the screen. The computer always does a memory dump and then reboots. The
    crash reporting thingy never finds any answer.

    crashcodes Ive noted:
    BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    and a few more.
    Files that have been concerned:
    netio.sys
    dxgkrnl.sys
    win32k.sys
    numfdx64.sys
    atikmdag.sys

    and probably some more.

    Troubleshooting ive done is an extensive RAM error check, Windows repair (no
    errors found), scandisk, viruscheck (AVG), disable virus program for a while.

    Question: does anyone recognize this? What is the next step in
    troubleshooting?

    Thanks
    monkeytuesday, Feb 8, 2008

  2. monkeytuesday

    Theo Guest

    Based on my experience, the mostly likely suspects are
    either the system memory or the hard drive. I suspect
    you're getting random errors due to file corruption. Not
    that the files them selves are corrupted, but errors reading
    from the hard drive or random errors in memory would cause
    the files to appear corrupted to the OS.

    The first thing you can do is download a memory testing
    program and test your memory.

    I guess the next step would be a diagnostic of the hard drive.

    Theo, Feb 8, 2008

  3. monkeytuesday

    Ken Triebold Guest

    One thing that I know of that can cause your symptoms is that your bios may
    not be set up correctly for your particular memory. Make sure the RAS
    settings (something like 5-5-5-15) and voltage are set correctly in your
    bios for the particular memory that you have. If those things are set to
    auto in your bios, find out what the correct settings are, change the bios
    from auto to manual and put the proper settings in.

    Ken Triebold, Feb 8, 2008
  4. Yeah, that was my first guess, so i ran the RAM error check available through
    microsoft and scandisc. No errors found...

    monkeytuesday, Feb 8, 2008
  5. monkeytuesday

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    The usual recommendations.
    1.- Check your BIOS and verify that you don't have any overclocking (memory
    timings, front side bus clock, etc.)
    2.- Check your fans and remove any dust. A vacuum cleaner might come handy.
    3.- Unplug and plug again all your connectors (IDE, SATA, power, etc.)
    4.- Reseat your video card and memories.
    5.- Run an extensive memory check by using memtest86 (http://www.memtest.org/)

    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 8, 2008
  6. monkeytuesday

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, monkeytuesday.

    My guess is that all the software testing in the world won't fix or even
    find your problem. When the BSOD codes are seemingly random, you have a
    hardware problem, not software.

    The list Carlos gave is pretty good, but I would start with #3 and #4:
    Check all the cables and connections, including video and other cards
    plugged into mobo slots.

    Another likely suspect is heat buildup. Did the computer environment change
    "Since 2-3 months back "? Depending on where (in the world you live), that
    might have been the start of Winter, and you may have an overachieving
    furnace in your home. Do you have a way to determine the temperatures of
    your CPU and computer case? Carlos' #2 (dust on the fans and in the case)
    could contribute to heat problems, too.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 8, 2008
  7. Yeah, thats a good point. Im thinking though that if it would be heat, the
    system would crash when i run a game (video card overheat) or anything
    CPU-intense. Wierdly, the only time it never crashes is when i run any 3D
    engine game! besides, my indoor climate or any factor i can think of
    affecting heat is the same as before...

    So far ive done like Ken Triebold sais and changed the memory latency and
    voltage from AUTO to what the manufacturer specified (5-5-5-18). If it
    crashes again, ill start taking the computer apart.

    monkeytuesday, Feb 8, 2008
  8. monkeytuesday

    John Barnes Guest

    Blowing the dust from inside the case, particularly the heat sink for the
    cpu and memory should be done periodically depending on the environment.

    John Barnes, Feb 9, 2008
  9. monkeytuesday

    NYTELTECH Guest

    I was having the same problem, and the recommendation was to change the case.
    I was hesitant, but decided to try it, so I bought a case that could be
    returned. (just in case). Since the day I replaced the case, I haven't had a
    single shutdown. I would seriously consider this suggestion, since I was
    getting the same "Randomness when my PC would shut down.

    NYTELTECH, Feb 9, 2008
  10. monkeytuesday

    Theo Guest

    Good point, John. I have never had a problem with a
    computer overheating, so I tend to forget about it.

    Theo, Feb 9, 2008
  11. Seems like changing RAM latency did the trick. I havnt had any crashes so
    far. Thanks!

    monkeytuesday, Feb 10, 2008
  12. monkeytuesday

    odalal

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    computer heating

    Hi,

    I just had the very same problem: my new PC (AMD Athlon, windows vista ultimate) was working perfectly for 3-4 months period until it started craching after few minutes of operation, sometime before i even got the chance to login.

    these 3-4 months were our winter period.... now summer came in, temperature raised at ~10 degrees and looks like that since then the problem started.

    I've just noticed that when openning some applications in my PC, the fans starts rolling much faster and then the bluescreen comes.

    what i've just did after reading this thread is openning the case's door and put an external fan right on the CPU and HDD

    Magic! - everything works perfect now.

    Thank you all!
    Ohad
    odalal, Mar 29, 2008