Blue tooth dongle

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Southern Kiwi, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Southern Kiwi, Nov 13, 2003

  2. "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3fb30c30$...
    > any one using these?, recommendations?, price range?

    I have a couple around. Have a look in this page
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1541 for a list of my
    current Bluetooth stuff.

    I recommend the TDK - but you can't find it here. The Belkin is very good,
    but don't buy the F8T001 (with antenna) unless it's the v.2 (without the
    antenna).

    Don't buy the Dick Smith one, since it comes with old driver versions.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas

    Mauricio Freitas, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Southern Kiwi

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> any one using these?, recommendations?, price range?
    >>

    > I have a couple around. Have a look in this page
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1541 for a list of my
    > current Bluetooth stuff.
    >

    > Don't buy the Dick Smith one, since it comes with old driver versions.

    I've just bought one of these, primarily for network access for my Palm.
    Seems OK with the supplied drivers, I assumed updated drivers would be
    available from the 'net, is that not correct? IIRC the device uses Widcomm
    drivers. It should also work under Linux using the BlueZ modules and later
    kernels, but looks like a nightmare to set up. Knoppix seems to realise the
    device is there, but I haven't got any further than that yet.

    Your link to articles on geekzone was really helpful, I had my Palm browsing
    the web in no time - thanks!

    Interesting review on the Bluetake BT300, but you don't say where it is
    available, or how much it costs :-(

    -=rjh=-, Nov 15, 2003
  4. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >
    > > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> any one using these?, recommendations?, price range?
    > >>

    > > I have a couple around. Have a look in this page
    > > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1541 for a list of my
    > > current Bluetooth stuff.
    > >

    > > Don't buy the Dick Smith one, since it comes with old driver versions.
    > >

    > I've just bought one of these, primarily for network access for my Palm.
    > Seems OK with the supplied drivers, I assumed updated drivers would be
    > available from the 'net, is that not correct? IIRC the device uses Widcomm
    > drivers. It should also work under Linux using the BlueZ modules and later
    > kernels, but looks like a nightmare to set up. Knoppix seems to realise

    the
    > device is there, but I haven't got any further than that yet.
    >
    > Your link to articles on geekzone was really helpful, I had my Palm

    browsing
    > the web in no time - thanks!
    >
    > Interesting review on the Bluetake BT300, but you don't say where it is
    > available, or how much it costs :-(

    AFAIK the BT300 is not available in New Zealand - but the Belkin AP is -
    that's on the reviews section. Differently from NVIDIA graphics drivers
    (where you you can download the reference drivers and use for all NVIDIA
    based cards), Widcomm does not release a reference driver. The manufacters
    receive these and customise if needed. When the drivers are distributed they
    go out with a key that will allow the software to work only with a specific
    brand of BT dongle.

    Hence you can't download new drivers from DLINK or TDK and use with the DSE.
    You can, but with a little of hacking.

    Anyway, the only new thing in 1.3 is headset and PAN profiles, and on 1.4 is
    the HID (mouse and keyboard) profile.

    DSE distributes the product with 1.2, which will allow connections to mobile
    phones and network access from Palm and Pocket PC.

    So, no hurry to update...

    --
    Mauricio Freitas

    Mauricio Freitas, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Southern Kiwi

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > Widcomm does not release a reference driver. The manufacters
    > receive these and customise if needed. When the drivers are distributed
    > they go out with a key that will allow the software to work only with a
    > specific brand of BT dongle.
    >
    > Hence you can't download new drivers from DLINK or TDK and use with the
    > DSE. You can, but with a little of hacking.
    >
    > Anyway, the only new thing in 1.3 is headset and PAN profiles, and on 1.4
    > is the HID (mouse and keyboard) profile.
    >
    > DSE distributes the product with 1.2, which will allow connections to
    > mobile phones and network access from Palm and Pocket PC.
    >
    > So, no hurry to update...

    You're right, and I must admit that I hadn't realised just how complex
    Bluetooth is - I thought the idea was to make things simple, not
    complicated.

    The DSE dongle ships with BTW v1.2, as you say; however BTW v1.3.2.7 is
    available for download from the DSE website. BTW v1.3.2.7 is also available
    from Aiptek (the manufacturer of the DSE dongle) but not 1.4 unfortunately.

    Pity, as being able to use a BT mouse and keyboard would be neat (if they
    weren't so expensive and uncommon) but I have wireless connectivity to my
    Palm, which is what I was after. Even if the range isn't anything like the
    75m claimed by Aiptek :-(

    -=rjh=-, Nov 28, 2003
  6. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >
    > > Widcomm does not release a reference driver. The manufacters
    > > receive these and customise if needed. When the drivers are distributed
    > > they go out with a key that will allow the software to work only with a
    > > specific brand of BT dongle.
    > >
    > > Hence you can't download new drivers from DLINK or TDK and use with the
    > > DSE. You can, but with a little of hacking.
    > >
    > > Anyway, the only new thing in 1.3 is headset and PAN profiles, and on

    1.4
    > > is the HID (mouse and keyboard) profile.
    > >
    > > DSE distributes the product with 1.2, which will allow connections to
    > > mobile phones and network access from Palm and Pocket PC.
    > >
    > > So, no hurry to update...

    > You're right, and I must admit that I hadn't realised just how complex
    > Bluetooth is - I thought the idea was to make things simple, not
    > complicated.
    >
    > The DSE dongle ships with BTW v1.2, as you say; however BTW v1.3.2.7 is
    > available for download from the DSE website. BTW v1.3.2.7 is also

    available
    > from Aiptek (the manufacturer of the DSE dongle) but not 1.4

    unfortunately.

    > Pity, as being able to use a BT mouse and keyboard would be neat (if they
    > weren't so expensive and uncommon) but I have wireless connectivity to my
    > Palm, which is what I was after. Even if the range isn't anything like the
    > 75m claimed by Aiptek :-(

    About the mouse/keyboard: yes, VERY expensive. For something that is just
    the standard mouse / keyboard plus a US$5 radio device companies are
    charging lots. Wait until we have Bluetake and Logitech here in NZ to
    compete with Microsoft. Then the price will come down.

    Good to know about the DSE software. Didn't know that.

    About the range. Palm and Pocket PC devices are all Class II which will give
    you only 10 m. Even if the dongle is a Class I with 100m, the shortest
    distance will be the maximum range. Don't put the money on a Class I device
    unless you have two of them to connect at longer distances.
    Ciao!

    --
    Mauricio Freitas

    Mauricio Freitas, Nov 28, 2003