Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Oct 22, 2008.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "don" <> wrote in

    > Ok, my friend got this Blue screen of Death message on her
    > laptop and called me after she spent a half hour on dell
    > tech support line. There

    Their

    > solution was to erase everything
    > and start over ?! If anyone has another way please
    > advise. I realize I don't have the exact error message to
    > post, but maybe there are some things I could try before we
    > erase everything.

    There are several hundred, but I'm afraid you are going to have
    to be a LOT more specific, like to the tune of a 500-1000 words.
    About a million things can cause the BSOD and we know nothing
    except you got one - like everyone else that has ever touched a
    computer has.

    Something tells my your friend may not be able to provide much
    information, in which case, if the problem is constant and not
    intermittent, yes, you're SOL, format the drive, PARTITION IT
    while you're at it, and reinstall everything.

    Have fun. Computers are our friends.

    --
    Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
    votes decide everything.

    NB: Not only is my KF over 4 KB and growing, I am also filtering
    everything from discussions.microsoft and google groups, so no
    offense if you don't get a reply/comment unless I see you quoted
    in another post.

    thanatoid, Oct 22, 2008

  2. thanatoid

    don Guest

    Ok, my friend got this Blue screen of Death message on her laptop and called
    me after she spent a half hour on dell tech support line. There solution was

    don, Oct 22, 2008

  3. thanatoid

    AqD Guest

    On Oct 22, 3:27 pm, "don" <> wrote:
    > Ok, my friend got this Blue screen of Death message on her laptop and called
    > me after she spent a half hour on dell tech support line. There solution was
    > to erase everything and start over ?! If anyone has another way please
    > advise. I realize I don't have the exact error message to post, but maybe
    > there are some things I could try before we erase everything.

    Reboot. BSOD is usually caused by broken drivers, which are very
    common.

    Unless you get BSOD everytime you start windows, it's not a big
    problem. Just live with it!

    AqD, Oct 22, 2008
  4. "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "don" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Ok, my friend got this Blue screen of Death message on her
    >> laptop and called me after she spent a half hour on dell
    >> tech support line. There

    > Their
    >
    >> solution was to erase everything
    >> and start over ?! If anyone has another way please
    >> advise. I realize I don't have the exact error message to
    >> post, but maybe there are some things I could try before we
    >> erase everything.

    > There are several hundred, but I'm afraid you are going to have
    > to be a LOT more specific, like to the tune of a 500-1000 words.
    > About a million things can cause the BSOD and we know nothing
    > except you got one - like everyone else that has ever touched a
    > computer has.
    >
    > Something tells my

    Me

    J¡m ßéâñ, Oct 22, 2008
  5. On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:27:52 -0500, don aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > Ok, my friend got this Blue screen of Death message on her laptop and called
    > me after she spent a half hour on dell tech support line. There solution was
    > to erase everything and start over ?! If anyone has another way please
    > advise. I realize I don't have the exact error message to post, but maybe
    > there are some things I could try before we erase everything.

    Get one of those things you put on the screen to reduce glare & increase
    privacy.
    That way at least it wont hurt yer eyes or embarass you when your DELL
    takes a shit :)

    FYI
    HTH
    HAND

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

    §ñühwØ£f, Oct 22, 2008
  6. thanatoid

    don Guest

    > Will it start up into Safe mode? If it doesn then you shouldn't need to do
    > a reinstall, its a case of identifying the driver which is causing a
    > problem and then fixing it, but you'll need to provide more information
    > for anyone to be able to help with that.
    >
    > If it doesn't start into safe mode then you may be looking at a reinstall
    > (in which case I hope she has backed up her data - if she hasn't then look
    > into getting the data off first). What installation media does your friend
    > have? If you go as though you were doing a reinstall (I'm assuming XP
    > here, probably the same with Vista) then there will be an option to repair
    > an existing installation, try that.
    >
    > Only if all else fails do the "erase everything and start over", and only
    > then after you've read everyone's suggestions.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    > --
    > Brian Cryer
    > www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    It does start in safe mode.... thanks for the tip

    don, Oct 22, 2008
  7. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    "don" <> wrote in news:gdmh0t$ct4$:

    > Ok, my friend got this Blue screen of Death message on her laptop and
    > called me after she spent a half hour on dell tech support line. There
    > solution was to erase everything and start over ?! If anyone has
    > another way please advise. I realize I don't have the exact error
    > message to post, but maybe there are some things I could try before we
    > erase everything.

    A few recommendations: 1. Have the person with the problem post. 2. We
    *need* the message on the screen to get anywhere. 3. Does this happen at
    any particular time or with any partiular program?

    Really, working through a third party just doesn't work.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 22, 2008
  8. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "J¡m ßéâñ" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "don" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Ok, my friend got this Blue screen of Death message on
    >>> her laptop and called me after she spent a half hour on
    >>> dell tech support line. There

    >> Their

    <SNIP>

    >> Something tells my

    > Me

    [thumbs up]

    thanatoid, Oct 22, 2008
  9. thanatoid

    tom Guest

    > "don" <> wrote in news:gdmh0t$ct4$:
    >
    >> Ok, my friend got this Blue screen of Death message on her laptop and
    >> called me after she spent a half hour on dell tech support line. There
    >> solution was to erase everything and start over ?! If anyone has
    >> another way please advise. I realize I don't have the exact error
    >> message to post, but maybe there are some things I could try before we
    >> erase everything.

    If it's a dell, tell her to just get used to it. It's a way of life with a
    dell.

    tom, Oct 22, 2008
  10. thanatoid

    Tony Guest

    Maybe the computer is F-R-O-G-G-E-D and only works in *lilypad* mode.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 23, 2008
  11. thanatoid

    don Guest

    The error message is "Unbootable_Boot_Volume

    don, Oct 23, 2008