    pete
    http://www.oss.org.uk
    , Oct 4, 2008

  2. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in
    news::

    > An old laptop I have is showing the Blue Screen of Death. The stop
    > message is 0x0000007E but I cannot get a clear screen to do anything
    > and I am not computer literate anyhow. There is nothing on the
    > computer I need so can I just re-install XP and start again?
    > pete
    > http://www.oss.org.uk

    What is the text at the beginning? That's the only useable part. If the
    space bar doesn't return you to *at* *least* a black screen and then later
    the desktop, you have to manually turn off the computer.

    It should besomething like: ...has caused a fatal exception 0E in ... The
    only sentence on the screen in other words.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 4, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:59:10 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >Run a RAM test first
    >
    >http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >

    >If the RAM is ok,,,
    >

    >boot to the repair console and try running chkdsk /r
    >

    >if worst comes to worst, you can try a repair install
    >

    >info on repair console and repair install will come up on a Google search

    I cannot get past the blue screen. Here is what the blue screen says;

    The screen says;
    A problem has been detected and windows is shutting down to prevent
    damage to your computer.
    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, (it was)
    restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these
    steps:
    Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
    identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the
    manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

    Check with your harware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS
    memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe
    Mode to remove or disable componments, restart your computer, press F8
    to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

    Technical information:

    ***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x3F3F3F, 0xF790F4F0, )xF790F1EC)

    I cannot get it to boot in Safe Mode or come to that in any other mode
    as I cannot get past the blue screen:-(

    pete
    http://www.oss.org.uk
    , Oct 5, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 01:23:17 +0100, "Lurker" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:59:10 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> ***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x3F3F3F, 0xF790F4F0, )xF790F1EC)

    >0x0000007E is the stop code, the following parameters are specific
    >to your PC and it's configuration.
    >These are MS solutions for the Stop code if it's XP:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182/en-us
    >
    >This is the MS solution for the stop code and subsequent error code
    >parameter, again only if it is XP:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940322/en-us

    I am afraid this is beyond my capabilities:-(
    pete
    http://www.oss.org.uk
    , Oct 9, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 20:07:25 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:59:10 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Run a RAM test first
    >> >
    >> >http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >> >

    >> >If the RAM is ok,,,
    >> >

    >> >boot to the repair console and try running chkdsk /r
    >> >

    >> >if worst comes to worst, you can try a repair install
    >> >

    >> >info on repair console and repair install will come up on a Google search

    >> I cannot get past the blue screen. Here is what the blue screen says;
    >>
    >> The screen says;
    >> A problem has been detected and windows is shutting down to prevent
    >> damage to your computer.
    >> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, (it was)
    >> restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these
    >> steps:
    >> Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
    >> identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the
    >> manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
    >>
    >> Check with your harware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS
    >> memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe
    >> Mode to remove or disable componments, restart your computer, press F8
    >> to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> Technical information:
    >>
    >> ***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x3F3F3F, 0xF790F4F0, )xF790F1EC)
    >>
    >> I cannot get it to boot in Safe Mode or come to that in any other mode
    >> as I cannot get past the blue screen:-(
    >>

    >yes that is why I suggested a RAM test
    >
    >RAM tests are NOT run from within Windows...
    >they are run from a boot floppy or boot cd

    How or where do I get a boot cd? Can I download it to a cd please?
    pete
    http://www.oss.org.uk
    , Oct 9, 2008
  6. Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> An old laptop I have is showing the Blue Screen of Death. The stop
    >> message is 0x0000007E but I cannot get a clear screen to do anything
    >> and I am not computer literate anyhow. There is nothing on the
    >> computer I need so can I just re-install XP and start again?
    >> pete
    >> http://www.oss.org.uk

    >What is the text at the beginning? That's the only useable part.

    Nope, the number is the error. Sometimes you can tell if a number is a
    device error if one of the digits is even.
    --

    http://www.nosedigg.com/2008/10/top-five-bizarre-accidents.html
    , Oct 9, 2008
  7. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>> An old laptop I have is showing the Blue Screen of Death. The stop
    >>> message is 0x0000007E but I cannot get a clear screen to do anything
    >>> and I am not computer literate anyhow. There is nothing on the
    >>> computer I need so can I just re-install XP and start again?
    >>> pete
    >>> http://www.oss.org.uk

    >>What is the text at the beginning? That's the only useable part.

    > Nope, the number is the error. Sometimes you can tell if a number is a
    > device error if one of the digits is even.

    Well, it's a halt (code segment if not processor) technically. As to what
    the 0x7f means I have no idea as I stopped playing with machine code
    around the time of the 486. In any case, Any of these can be just
    corruption, because if you feed the wrong byte combination to any
    processor it will choke.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 10, 2008