blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cindy Stuart, Jul 23, 2007.

  1. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    my other pc dimension 4550 bios a08, p4 2.53 level 2 cache 512 integrated
    win xp pro.
    i just got back from a week in the mountains and i had inadvertently left
    this pc running. upon my return, the blue screen!
    i checked all the connections and cleaned out dust, etc and left it off for
    a day to cool. so i'm at the point where i began to reinstall windows.
    i got to the point where it says, installing devices- setup will complete in
    approx 37 minutes. after clicking around a short while, like it's
    installing devices (i notice that the bar never fills in)
    i get the blue screen of death:

    *** stop: 0x0000008e (0x8054ba39,0xf79de934,0x00000000)
    i have tried to reinstall windows a few times and the same results. i
    plugged in a old working drive and it booted up then when i tried to install
    a device, i got a catastrophic error and the blue screen. so it's not a
    hard drive issue and i have the latest bios installed.

    i'm thinking now that something is fried. is my pc dead?
    i don't know if i can get any support from dell as i have not purchased from
    them. the pc was left by a long gone old and forgotten boyfriend and God
    only knows where he had gotten it.

    thanks,
    -cindy

    Cindy Stuart, Jul 23, 2007

  2. Cindy Stuart

    meerkat Guest

    "Cindy Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > my other pc dimension 4550 bios a08, p4 2.53 level 2 cache 512 integrated
    > win xp pro.
    > i just got back from a week in the mountains and i had inadvertently left
    > this pc running. upon my return, the blue screen!
    > i checked all the connections and cleaned out dust, etc and left it off
    > for
    > a day to cool. so i'm at the point where i began to reinstall windows.
    > i got to the point where it says, installing devices- setup will complete
    > in
    > approx 37 minutes. after clicking around a short while, like it's
    > installing devices (i notice that the bar never fills in)
    > i get the blue screen of death:
    >
    > *** stop: 0x0000008e (0x8054ba39,0xf79de934,0x00000000)
    > i have tried to reinstall windows a few times and the same results. i
    > plugged in a old working drive and it booted up then when i tried to
    > install
    > a device, i got a catastrophic error and the blue screen. so it's not a
    > hard drive issue and i have the latest bios installed.
    >
    > i'm thinking now that something is fried. is my pc dead?
    > i don't know if i can get any support from dell as i have not purchased
    > from
    > them. the pc was left by a long gone old and forgotten boyfriend and God
    > only knows where he had gotten it.

    Step 1.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

    meerkat, Jul 23, 2007

  3. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    On 23-Jul-2007, "meerkat" <> wrote:

    > Step 1.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

    wow - thanks for the fast response! i hope it will be that easy. i will
    begin substituting the ram now.

    Cindy Stuart, Jul 23, 2007
  4. Cindy Stuart

    Vanguard Guest

    "Cindy Stuart" wrote in message news:VV6pi.592$zJ4.17@trndny03...
    <snip>

    > *** stop: 0x0000008e (0x8054ba39,0xf79de934,0x00000000)
    > i have tried to reinstall windows a few times and the same results. i
    > plugged in a old working drive and it booted up then when i tried to
    > install
    > a device, i got a catastrophic error and the blue screen. so it's not
    > hard drive issue and i have the latest bios installed.

    <snip>

    Microsoft's support knowledgebase is at http://support.microsoft.com
    A search produced:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search...3&query=stop 0x0000008e&adv=&mode=s&cat=False

    Vanguard, Jul 23, 2007
  5. Cindy Stuart

    Slacker Guest

    "Cindy Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > my other pc dimension 4550 bios a08, p4 2.53 level 2 cache 512 integrated
    > win xp pro.
    > i just got back from a week in the mountains and i had inadvertently left
    > this pc running. upon my return, the blue screen!
    > i checked all the connections and cleaned out dust, etc and left it off
    > for
    > a day to cool. so i'm at the point where i began to reinstall windows.
    > i got to the point where it says, installing devices- setup will complete
    > in
    > approx 37 minutes. after clicking around a short while, like it's
    > installing devices (i notice that the bar never fills in)
    > i get the blue screen of death:
    >
    > *** stop: 0x0000008e (0x8054ba39,0xf79de934,0x00000000)
    > i have tried to reinstall windows a few times and the same results. i
    > plugged in a old working drive and it booted up then when i tried to
    > install
    > a device, i got a catastrophic error and the blue screen. so it's not a
    > hard drive issue and i have the latest bios installed.
    >
    > i'm thinking now that something is fried. is my pc dead?
    > i don't know if i can get any support from dell as i have not purchased
    > from
    > them. the pc was left by a long gone old and forgotten boyfriend and God
    > only knows where he had gotten it.
    >
    > thanks,
    > -cindy

    Now that you're on your way to getting the computer fixed, curious minds
    want to know:

    Did the ex BF dump you or did you kick his butt out?

    Slacker, Jul 23, 2007
  6. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    On 23-Jul-2007, "Slacker" <Slacker@> wrote:

    > Did the ex BF dump you or did you kick his butt out?

    i can't believe that i was that stupid, he really had me fooled; maybe what
    they say about blondes is true.
    the asshole was married!

    Cindy Stuart, Jul 23, 2007
  7. Cindy Stuart

    ProfGene Guest

    Cindy Stuart wrote:
    > my other pc dimension 4550 bios a08, p4 2.53 level 2 cache 512 integrated
    > win xp pro.
    > i just got back from a week in the mountains and i had inadvertently left
    > this pc running. upon my return, the blue screen!
    > i checked all the connections and cleaned out dust, etc and left it off for
    > a day to cool. so i'm at the point where i began to reinstall windows.
    > i got to the point where it says, installing devices- setup will complete in
    > approx 37 minutes. after clicking around a short while, like it's
    > installing devices (i notice that the bar never fills in)
    > i get the blue screen of death:
    >
    > *** stop: 0x0000008e (0x8054ba39,0xf79de934,0x00000000)
    > i have tried to reinstall windows a few times and the same results. i
    > plugged in a old working drive and it booted up then when i tried to install
    > a device, i got a catastrophic error and the blue screen. so it's not a
    > hard drive issue and i have the latest bios installed.
    >
    > i'm thinking now that something is fried. is my pc dead?
    > i don't know if i can get any support from dell as i have not purchased from
    > them. the pc was left by a long gone old and forgotten boyfriend and God
    > only knows where he had gotten it.
    >
    > thanks,
    > -cindy

    It could be the processor or the motherboard and unless you want to try
    building your own computer it might just be best to salvage what you can
    from it like hard drivers and whatever cards it has as well as CD ROM or
    DVD drive or floppy drive and use it for these parts. Of course the
    peripherals can also be salvaged like mouse and keyboard and monitor. It
    is always good to have extra parts for when you might need them.

    ProfGene, Jul 24, 2007
  8. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    i began substituting memory and now the pc boots up - no more blue screen.
    so it was a bad mem chip. thanks for the link that told me that.
    new problem:
    something must have happened to my original config so i reinstalled windows
    (windows.0) and then ran my erunt - i went to the orig win dir where the
    erunt folder resides and ran it and rebooted
    to restore my pc to before i left for vacation.

    in xp pro, i'm now presented with the two boot up options. the one i just
    put in is ok. when i try the original, when it gets to the screen -
    'windows is starting up', it hangs for a few minutes then a windows password
    box appears. (i don't think i have ever set a password).
    whenever i entered anything, it would say that the system cannot log you on
    now because the domain "blank" is not available.
    i tried using a pgm called windows key that resets passwords but still the
    same issue. all my programs are there if i could only logon to my own pc!!
    i don't get this. what can i do now?

    Cindy Stuart, Jul 24, 2007