Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JoeMo, Oct 8, 2006.

  1. JoeMo

    JoeMo Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
    since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried to
    install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
    computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
    time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
    after that). The only way for me to do anything was to reboot in safe
    mode and uninstall ZA. I discovered later that ZA doesn't reccommend
    this, so I followed their instructions to remove all files properly,
    uninstalled it and re-installed it properly two times after that just
    to be sure. But now, I get the BSoD whenever I try to use certain
    windows functions (Add/Remove programs, creating a new folder by right
    clicking on the desktop, using the All Programs tab from the start
    menu). Also, my girlfriend's profile is completely unusable. Everytime
    we try to open her profile we get the BSoD as soon as it starts up. I
    tried re-installing windows, but that didn't fix the problem. I've also
    run microsoft's memory diagnostic to make sure there's no physical
    problem with my memory. I haven't changed any hardware, and the only
    new software I installed was this frickin ZA update. I'm at my wit's
    end about this problem, and feel like just throwing the whole computer
    out the window. Nothing I do can get rid of this crap. Can anyone help
    me? I'm running Windows XP SP2, Celeron 3.06G CPU, Intel chipset
    motherboard, and 1G of memory. Thanks.

    Joe

    JoeMo, Oct 8, 2006

  2. JoeMo

    Guest

    On 8 Oct 2006 08:21:27 -0700, "JoeMo" <> wrote:

    >I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
    >since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried to
    >install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
    >computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
    >time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
    >after that).

    That's an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and almost always a hardware
    problem. Run a memory test to start with.

    http://www.easynn.com

    , Oct 8, 2006

  3. JoeMo

    JoeMo Guest

    wrote:
    > On 8 Oct 2006 08:21:27 -0700, "JoeMo" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
    > >since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried to
    > >install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
    > >computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
    > >time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
    > >after that).

    > That's an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and almost always a hardware
    > problem. Run a memory test to start with.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software
    >
    > EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks.
    > http://www.easynn.com

    I did run Windows Memory Diagnostic, first the regular set of tests,
    then the more thorough set, and it said there were no errors with
    either. Is this diagnostic a good one to use? Should I try a different
    test, or should any major issues with my memory be found with this
    diagnostic? Thanks.

    Joe

    JoeMo, Oct 8, 2006
  4. JoeMo

    Guest

    On 8 Oct 2006 09:01:38 -0700, "JoeMo" <> wrote:

    >I did run Windows Memory Diagnostic, first the regular set of tests,
    >then the more thorough set, and it said there were no errors with
    >either. Is this diagnostic a good one to use? Should I try a different
    >test, or should any major issues with my memory be found with this
    >diagnostic? Thanks.

    Memory tests are the easiest first thing to try. You could try some
    processor tests next. Stabilitytest is quite good. I can send you a
    copy by email if you want but not to your gmail address.

    http://www.easynn.com

    , Oct 8, 2006
  5. JoeMo wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
    > since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried
    > to install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
    > computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
    > time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
    > after that). The only way for me to do anything was to reboot in safe
    > mode and uninstall ZA. I discovered later that ZA doesn't reccommend
    > this, so I followed their instructions to remove all files properly,
    > uninstalled it and re-installed it properly two times after that just
    > to be sure. But now, I get the BSoD whenever I try to use certain
    > windows functions (Add/Remove programs, creating a new folder by right
    > clicking on the desktop, using the All Programs tab from the start
    > menu). Also, my girlfriend's profile is completely unusable. Everytime
    > we try to open her profile we get the BSoD as soon as it starts up. I
    > tried re-installing windows, but that didn't fix the problem. I've
    > also run microsoft's memory diagnostic to make sure there's no
    > physical problem with my memory. I haven't changed any hardware, and
    > the only new software I installed was this frickin ZA update. I'm at
    > my wit's end about this problem, and feel like just throwing the
    > whole computer out the window. Nothing I do can get rid of this crap.
    > Can anyone help me? I'm running Windows XP SP2, Celeron 3.06G CPU,
    > Intel chipset motherboard, and 1G of memory. Thanks.
    >
    > Joe

    I had this problem last weekend. I too thought it was a memory problem or
    a hardware problem. But I discovered that I had viruses. I used "safe
    mode" and ran F-Secure (My ISP provides this). I also used AVG. I found I
    had a LOT of bad stuff. Somehow I had removed enough of my anti-virus
    software for it not to work, but I'd left enough for Windows Security Centre
    to think I was protected. Not sure how I did this or how long it had been
    running like that.

    After the dust was settled, I had no sound.... had to run "services.msc" to
    get it.

    Good luck

    John

    ///Owen\\\\\\, Oct 8, 2006
  6. JoeMo

    Tester Guest

    I once had a program that fixed the BSOD 100%!

    Unfortunately, all it accomplished was to change the color.

    Tester, Oct 8, 2006
  7. JoeMo

    JoeMo Guest

    wrote:
    > On 8 Oct 2006 09:01:38 -0700, "JoeMo" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I did run Windows Memory Diagnostic, first the regular set of tests,
    > >then the more thorough set, and it said there were no errors with
    > >either. Is this diagnostic a good one to use? Should I try a different
    > >test, or should any major issues with my memory be found with this
    > >diagnostic? Thanks.
    > >

    > Memory tests are the easiest first thing to try. You could try some
    > processor tests next. Stabilitytest is quite good. I can send you a
    > copy by email if you want but not to your gmail address.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software
    >
    > EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks.
    > http://www.easynn.com

    No need. I downloaded it and ran it for about an hour or so with no
    errors. Should I create a security certificate (run it for 24 hours) to
    be sure?

    JoeMo, Oct 9, 2006
  8. JoeMo

    JoeMo Guest

    ///Owen\\\ wrote:
    > JoeMo wrote:
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
    > > since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried
    > > to install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
    > > computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
    > > time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
    > > after that). The only way for me to do anything was to reboot in safe
    > > mode and uninstall ZA. I discovered later that ZA doesn't reccommend
    > > this, so I followed their instructions to remove all files properly,
    > > uninstalled it and re-installed it properly two times after that just
    > > to be sure. But now, I get the BSoD whenever I try to use certain
    > > windows functions (Add/Remove programs, creating a new folder by right
    > > clicking on the desktop, using the All Programs tab from the start
    > > menu). Also, my girlfriend's profile is completely unusable. Everytime
    > > we try to open her profile we get the BSoD as soon as it starts up. I
    > > tried re-installing windows, but that didn't fix the problem. I've
    > > also run microsoft's memory diagnostic to make sure there's no
    > > physical problem with my memory. I haven't changed any hardware, and
    > > the only new software I installed was this frickin ZA update. I'm at
    > > my wit's end about this problem, and feel like just throwing the
    > > whole computer out the window. Nothing I do can get rid of this crap.
    > > Can anyone help me? I'm running Windows XP SP2, Celeron 3.06G CPU,
    > > Intel chipset motherboard, and 1G of memory. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Joe

    > I had this problem last weekend. I too thought it was a memory problem or
    > a hardware problem. But I discovered that I had viruses. I used "safe
    > mode" and ran F-Secure (My ISP provides this). I also used AVG. I found I
    > had a LOT of bad stuff. Somehow I had removed enough of my anti-virus
    > software for it not to work, but I'd left enough for Windows Security Centre
    > to think I was protected. Not sure how I did this or how long it had been
    > running like that.
    >
    > After the dust was settled, I had no sound.... had to run "services.msc" to
    > get it.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > John

    Thanks for the advice. I've run memory and CPU tests with no errors,
    hoping to rule out hardware issues first. I think I'll have to devote a
    day soon to do thorough "safe mode" virus/spyware scans. See if I've
    got the same problem you had.

    JoeMo, Oct 9, 2006
  9. JoeMo

    Ron Martell Guest

    "JoeMo" <> wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
    >since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried to
    >install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
    >computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
    >time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
    >after that). The only way for me to do anything was to reboot in safe
    >mode and uninstall ZA. I discovered later that ZA doesn't reccommend
    >this, so I followed their instructions to remove all files properly,
    >uninstalled it and re-installed it properly two times after that just
    >to be sure. But now, I get the BSoD whenever I try to use certain
    >windows functions (Add/Remove programs, creating a new folder by right
    >clicking on the desktop, using the All Programs tab from the start
    >menu). Also, my girlfriend's profile is completely unusable. Everytime
    >we try to open her profile we get the BSoD as soon as it starts up. I
    >tried re-installing windows, but that didn't fix the problem. I've also
    >run microsoft's memory diagnostic to make sure there's no physical
    >problem with my memory. I haven't changed any hardware, and the only
    >new software I installed was this frickin ZA update. I'm at my wit's
    >end about this problem, and feel like just throwing the whole computer
    >out the window. Nothing I do can get rid of this crap. Can anyone help
    >me? I'm running Windows XP SP2, Celeron 3.06G CPU, Intel chipset
    >motherboard, and 1G of memory. Thanks.
    >
    >Joe

    As Steve Wolstenholme said, your error code is named
    UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

    Technical information about this error from MSDN:

    "This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the
    kernel failed to catch this trap.

    This could be either a bound trap (a trap the kernel is not permitted
    to catch) or a double fault (a fault that occurred while processing an
    earlier fault, which always results in a system crash).

    The first parameter displayed on the blue screen specifies the trap
    number.

    Here are some of the most common trap codes:

    0x00000000, or Divide by Zero Error, is caused when a DIV instruction
    is executed and the divisor is zero. Memory corruption, other hardware
    problems, or software failures can cause this error. "

    As you said that all 4 of the parameters following the STOP code were
    all zeroes then this is the situation you are encountering.

    I would suspect Zone Alarm. Try uninstalling Zone Alarm completely
    and relying, at least temporarily, on the Windows built-in firewall.
    It will suffice to keep your system free from intruders although it
    won't notify you of anything that gets onto your machine and then
    tries to "phone home". If the error problems go away after
    uninstalling ZA then you have indentified the culprit.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Oct 9, 2006
  10. JoeMo

    Guest

    On 8 Oct 2006 18:02:29 -0700, "JoeMo" <> wrote:

    >No need. I downloaded it and ran it for about an hour or so with no
    >errors. Should I create a security certificate (run it for 24 hours) to
    >be sure?

    It's just a good test you don't need a certificate. You could leave it
    running for a day or so.

    Steve

    http://www.easynn.com

    , Oct 9, 2006
  11. JoeMo

    JoeMo Guest

    wrote:
    > On 8 Oct 2006 18:02:29 -0700, "JoeMo" <> wrote:
    >

    > >No need. I downloaded it and ran it for about an hour or so with no
    > >errors. Should I create a security certificate (run it for 24 hours) to
    > >be sure?

    > It's just a good test you don't need a certificate. You could leave it
    > running for a day or so.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software
    >
    > EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks.
    > http://www.easynn.com

    Things have gotten worse... last week I ran a memory test, and the CPU
    test you reccommended for over 24 hours with no problem. I went away
    for the weekend, and left the computer off when I did. Now, I returned
    today and turned on the computer, and nothing. The power and HD lights
    stay lit, all the fans are on, but the CD drives won't open, and one of
    the CD drive lights stay lit. I've tried unplugging and replugging
    everything (memory, cables, etc.) and I have removed everything
    non-essential (extra cards, the CD drives, etc.) but nothing changes. I
    even tried cleaning the CPU fan (which was pretty dusty) but nothing
    will get it to boot up. Someone please help me!

    JoeMo, Oct 15, 2006
  12. JoeMo

    JoeMo Guest

    > Things have gotten worse... last week I ran a memory test, and the CPU
    > test you reccommended for over 24 hours with no problem. I went away
    > for the weekend, and left the computer off when I did. Now, I returned
    > today and turned on the computer, and nothing.

    I should have said here that the lights come on, but it doesn't make
    any boot up beeping like it normally does, the monitor doesn't turn on,
    and it doesn't make any HD noises. Also, both the power supply and
    system lights are lit up on the motherboard. The keyboard lights flash
    when you turn it on but then won't respond (to Caps lock, scroll lock,
    or num lock)

    JoeMo, Oct 15, 2006
  13. JoeMo

    Shel-hed Guest

    Sounds like classic power supply symptoms.

    Shel-hed, Oct 16, 2006