    this.

    Thanks for any insight.

    , Jun 3, 2004

  2. Kyle Guest

    Wait, that was odd, you ask what could be causing the problem and then tell
    us it's a home built. perhaps it's a hardware issue? check microsoft's
    knowledge base and type in 0x0000007E and see where that starts. Those
    cryptic numbers can be looks up and you might be able to narrow down what is
    wrong with your hardware. I don't know if it's overheating but please
    check. Also, check all the drivers and make sure that you have updated the
    BIOS, etc.

    It's hardware 99% of the time with XP and Blue Screens

    Peace!

    <> wrote in message
    : I was told that Windows XP Pro wsas a stable operating system. Also
    : that they got rid of the "blue screen of death". SO what is this that
    : I've seen a few times in the past week? A blue screen that starts out
    : with "A problem has been etected and Windows has been shut down to
    : prevent damage to your computer..."? After a bunch of other verbiage,
    : there's a line that says:
    :
    : Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805B91F4, 0xEB1DBAFC, 0xEB1DB7FC)
    :
    : Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
    : could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
    : over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
    : Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
    : this.
    :
    : Thanks for any insight.
    :

    Kyle, Jun 3, 2004

  3. DC Guest

    wrote:
    > [...] "A problem has been etected(sp?) and Windows has been shut down to
    > prevent damage to your computer..."? [...]

    Finally, a useful Windoze feature. Can this be enabled at startup? }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Free your mind, and your OS will follow...

    DC, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Kyle Guest

    Similar to putting the following in your rc.local (or whatever distribution
    your use)

    echo "your computer is broken, shutting down......"
    shutdown -h now

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    : wrote:
    : > [...] "A problem has been etected(sp?) and Windows has been shut down to
    : > prevent damage to your computer..."? [...]
    :
    :
    : Finally, a useful Windoze feature. Can this be enabled at startup? }:O)
    :
    :
    : --

    Kyle, Jun 3, 2004
  5. DC Guest

    Kyle wrote:
    > Similar to putting the following in your rc.local (or whatever distribution
    > your use)

    > echo "your computer is broken, shutting down......"
    > shutdown -h now

    I'd never thought of that. }:O)

    DC, Jun 3, 2004
  6. DC wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>[...] "A problem has been etected(sp?) and Windows has been shut down to
    >>prevent damage to your computer..."? [...]

    > Finally, a useful Windoze feature. Can this be enabled at startup? }:O)

    Yes, create a shortcut and place it in the Startup folder.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jun 3, 2004
  7. ICee Guest

    wrote:
    > I was told that Windows XP Pro wsas a stable operating system. Also
    > that they got rid of the "blue screen of death". SO what is this that
    > I've seen a few times in the past week? A blue screen that starts out
    > with "A problem has been etected and Windows has been shut down to
    > prevent damage to your computer..."? After a bunch of other verbiage,
    > there's a line that says:
    >
    > Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805B91F4, 0xEB1DBAFC, 0xEB1DB7FC)
    >
    > Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
    > could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
    > over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
    > Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
    > this.
    >
    > Thanks for any insight.

    About halfway down the page:
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

    ICee, Jun 3, 2004
  8. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I was told that Windows XP Pro wsas a stable operating system. Also
    > that they got rid of the "blue screen of death". SO what is this that

    Whoever told you that doesnt work on PCs. The BSOD is an integral part
    of any windows OS. That's one way you know you're running a legit MS OS.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 3, 2004
  9. Guest

    Yes, it's home built, but has run smooth as silk for three months. And
    I haven't installed any new hardware since I built it in February
    (everything works fine hardware-wise) and I haven't installed any new
    software in a while. Like in weeks. This just suddenly cropped up
    today.

    >Wait, that was odd, you ask what could be causing the problem and then tell
    >us it's a home built. perhaps it's a hardware issue? check microsoft's
    >knowledge base and type in 0x0000007E and see where that starts. Those
    >cryptic numbers can be looks up and you might be able to narrow down what is
    >wrong with your hardware. I don't know if it's overheating but please
    >check. Also, check all the drivers and make sure that you have updated the
    >BIOS, etc.
    >
    >It's hardware 99% of the time with XP and Blue Screens
    >
    >Peace!
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >: I was told that Windows XP Pro wsas a stable operating system. Also
    >: that they got rid of the "blue screen of death". SO what is this that
    >: I've seen a few times in the past week? A blue screen that starts out
    >: with "A problem has been etected and Windows has been shut down to
    >: prevent damage to your computer..."? After a bunch of other verbiage,
    >: there's a line that says:
    >:
    >: Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805B91F4, 0xEB1DBAFC, 0xEB1DB7FC)
    >:
    >: Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
    >: could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
    >: over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
    >: Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
    >: this.
    >:
    >: Thanks for any insight.
    >:

    , Jun 3, 2004
  10. Kyle Guest

    OK good to hear, what I would do is check the hardware and refer to my
    Also, did you research those error numbers on google?

    <> wrote in message
[...]
    : >
    : >:
    : >: Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
    : >: could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
    : >: over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
    : >: Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
    : >: this.
    : >:
    : >: Thanks for any insight.
    : >:
    : >
    :
    :

    Kyle, Jun 3, 2004
  11. TechNews Guest

    TechNews, Jun 4, 2004
  12. Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:26:05 -0400, wrote:

    >I was told that Windows XP Pro wsas a stable operating system. Also
    >that they got rid of the "blue screen of death". SO what is this that
    >I've seen a few times in the past week? A blue screen that starts out
    >with "A problem has been etected and Windows has been shut down to
    >prevent damage to your computer..."? After a bunch of other verbiage,
    >there's a line that says:
    >
    >Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805B91F4, 0xEB1DBAFC, 0xEB1DB7FC)
    >
    >Looks, feels and smells like a "blue screen of death" to me. What
    >could be causing this problem? The machine is home built, a little
    >over three months old. Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor, 1
    >Gb DDR memory, and a SATA 120 Gb hard drive. No problems prior to
    >this.
    >
    >Thanks for any insight.

    Have you installed any new devices just prior to the problem
    occurring?

    If the problem has occurred and you have not made any significant
    changes, try rolling back to just before they started with System
    Restore.

    Other things to check:
    - Reseat the RAM
    - Run MemTest3 to check RAM/CPU/mainboard memory aspects
    - Is CPU overheating?

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jun 6, 2004