Blue Screen of Death "STOP: 0x24" during Win2k Installation

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dennis, Jan 1, 2004.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    I really need to speak with someone thats done a few dozen windows
    installations.

    I spent the evening attempting to Install Win2k over 10 times. Now its
    personal, I will not rest until this POS does what it's supposed to.
    I've done dozens of Windoze installations over the years and built
    many computers, I've never had this much trouble. Any help is
    appreciated.

    History: This machine (Asus P4S800 2.6gzh P4 w/ 256m ddr400)
    originally had Windows XP on it when I received it. But I quickly
    discovered something was very wrong with the XP install. When I tried
    to access anything related to the system (such as "Windows Update" or
    add Users) I got the blue screen of death quoting STOP: 0x24 etc etc
    regarding ntfs.sys. Various attempts to access deeper functions of the
    OS got the same result. Also heavy LAN traffic would cause this.

    So I wiped XP and did a fresh install of Win2k. I formatted the drive
    nice and clean, made new ntfs partitions, etc. On install I got the
    blue screen of death with the same STOP 0x24 error. On install! Before
    win2k was even really loaded. Refusing to quit I reformatted with ntsc
    and tried again a few more times with no love. Out of desparation I
    formatted it again as FAT32 and was able to get the system booted. But
    when I went to "Windows Update" again I got my old blue friend with
    the same STOP 0x24 error this time referencing a fat32 driver file.

    This goes on and on, I tried every trick in my book including three
    seperate installs w/ format from three different Win2k disks and one
    WinXP disk. It becomes very clear that this is a hardware problem not
    a software problem.

    Any help is appreciated. My eyes hurt from looking at the MS knowledge
    base and trying different google searches. I have gone from suspecting
    the CD, to suspecting bad sectors on the harddrive, to suspecting the
    CPU and memory clock speed (Which I tried lowering). I am left
    suspecting the stick of memory I have and the motherboard. How can I
    find out? Could this be caused by a bad stick of memory?

    TIA

    Dennis, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Dennis

    Trax Guest

    On 1 Jan 2004 01:53:36 -0800, (Dennis) wrote:

    |> I really need to speak with someone thats done a few dozen windows
    |> installations.
    |>
    |> I spent the evening attempting to Install Win2k over 10 times. Now its
    |> personal, I will not rest until this POS does what it's supposed to.
    |> I've done dozens of Windoze installations over the years and built
    |> many computers, I've never had this much trouble. Any help is
    |> appreciated.
    |>
    |> History: This machine (Asus P4S800 2.6gzh P4 w/ 256m ddr400)
    |> originally had Windows XP on it when I received it. But I quickly
    |> discovered something was very wrong with the XP install. When I tried
    |> to access anything related to the system (such as "Windows Update" or
    |> add Users) I got the blue screen of death quoting STOP: 0x24 etc etc
    |> regarding ntfs.sys. Various attempts to access deeper functions of the
    |> OS got the same result. Also heavy LAN traffic would cause this.
    |>
    |> So I wiped XP and did a fresh install of Win2k. I formatted the drive
    |> nice and clean, made new ntfs partitions, etc. On install I got the
    |> blue screen of death with the same STOP 0x24 error. On install! Before
    |> win2k was even really loaded. Refusing to quit I reformatted with ntsc
    |> and tried again a few more times with no love. Out of desparation I
    |> formatted it again as FAT32 and was able to get the system booted. But
    |> when I went to "Windows Update" again I got my old blue friend with
    |> the same STOP 0x24 error this time referencing a fat32 driver file.
    |>
    |> This goes on and on, I tried every trick in my book including three
    |> seperate installs w/ format from three different Win2k disks and one
    |> WinXP disk. It becomes very clear that this is a hardware problem not
    |> a software problem.
    |>
    |> Any help is appreciated. My eyes hurt from looking at the MS knowledge
    |> base and trying different google searches. I have gone from suspecting
    |> the CD, to suspecting bad sectors on the harddrive, to suspecting the
    |> CPU and memory clock speed (Which I tried lowering). I am left
    |> suspecting the stick of memory I have and the motherboard. How can I
    |> find out? Could this be caused by a bad stick of memory?

    From my message base:

    (It's just the standard blurb, and I'm sure the same thing you've been coming
    across. Have you check'd your system against the Microsoft Hardware
    Compatibility List ? It does sound like hardware.)

    NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

    Component: Executive STOP

    Explanation:
    This is a Windows NT Executive character-mode STOP message. It indicates an NTFS
    file system problem.

    User Action:
    If this is the first time you have booted after installing additional hardware,
    remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility
    List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible with Windows NT.
    For information about the hardware, contact the supplier.If you are installing
    Windows NT for the first time, check the Windows NT system requirements,
    including amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system.
    Also check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the system can run
    Windows NT. If Windows NT is loaded and no new hardware has been installed,
    reboot with recovery options set to create a dump file. If the message continues
    to appear, select the Last Known Good option when you reboot. If there is no
    Last Known Good configuration, try using the Emergency Repair Disk. If you do
    not have an Emergency Repair Disk, contact your technical support group.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w Erotic: Using a goose feather.

    Trax, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Dennis

    Unk Guest

    Try replacing the memory with known good stick(s). I had the same problem
    on 3 different computers and on all three, it turned out to be questionable
    memory.

    Unk, Jan 1, 2004