    read the integers in the BSOD message?

    Thank you. I'm lost!

    Zac

    Curmudgeon, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Curmudgeon

    WormWood Guest

    "Curmudgeon" <> wrote in message
    news:VWZEd.4241$...
    > Hi everyone--
    >
    > I run Win98 on a Dell Latitude notebook. I recently received a
    > message from
    > my wireless network utility (Micro$oft Broadband Network Utility) that
    > told
    > me that critical updates were available for my system, so I complied
    > and
    > updated them--or so I thought.
    >
    > Since, I get the BSOD each time I try to connect to the Internet, or
    > when I
    > try to manipulate anything in the MBNU.
    >
    > Can someone please direct me to a program I can download that will
    > help me
    > understand what is going wrong? Or maybe a site that will explain how
    > read the integers in the BSOD message?
    >
    > Thank you. I'm lost!

    This from forum at <www.webuser.co.uk>

    [Suggest you uninstall the last Windows "updates"] since your problems
    seemed to start with their installation, and use Firefox for a
    trouble-free browsing experience.

    <quote>
    In the vast majority of cases the Fatal Exception errors are simply bugs
    in the Windows code. Some rare combination of programmes running on your
    PC has caused Windows to get a bit of indigestion. As you say,
    everything seems to carry on running properly. Some techno geeks reckon
    that to avoid them you should periodically format your hard disk and
    re-install everything but I reckon that's a bit drastic. Also bear in
    mind that you are using quite an old operating system (Win98) so it
    becomes more likely that you will get conflicts as you load more stuff
    on your PC. If it is happening more than once or twice a week then it
    might indeed be time to rebuild.

    Next time it happens try typing the error code into Google. I tried it
    with the one you mention but nothing relevant was found but sometimes
    they do appear.

    </quote>

    WormWood, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Curmudgeon

    Curmudgeon Guest

    WormWood <> wrote in message

    > "Curmudgeon" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone--
    > >
    > > I run Win98 on a Dell Latitude notebook. I recently received a
    > > message from
    > > my wireless network utility (Micro$oft Broadband Network Utility) that
    > > told
    > > me that critical updates were available for my system, so I complied
    > > and
    > > updated them--or so I thought.
    > >
    > > Since, I get the BSOD each time I try to connect to the Internet, or
    > > when I
    > > try to manipulate anything in the MBNU.
    > >
    > > Can someone please direct me to a program I can download that will
    > > help me
    > > understand what is going wrong? Or maybe a site that will explain how
    > > read the integers in the BSOD message?
    > >
    > > Thank you. I'm lost!
    > >

    > This from forum at <www.webuser.co.uk>
    >
    > [Suggest you uninstall the last Windows "updates"] since your problems
    > seemed to start with their installation, and use Firefox for a
    > trouble-free browsing experience.
    >
    > <quote>
    > In the vast majority of cases the Fatal Exception errors are simply bugs
    > in the Windows code. Some rare combination of programmes running on your
    > PC has caused Windows to get a bit of indigestion. As you say,
    > everything seems to carry on running properly. Some techno geeks reckon
    > that to avoid them you should periodically format your hard disk and
    > re-install everything but I reckon that's a bit drastic. Also bear in
    > mind that you are using quite an old operating system (Win98) so it
    > becomes more likely that you will get conflicts as you load more stuff
    > on your PC. If it is happening more than once or twice a week then it
    > might indeed be time to rebuild.
    >
    > Next time it happens try typing the error code into Google. I tried it
    > with the one you mention but nothing relevant was found but sometimes
    > they do appear.

    Hey thanks. I'll give the Google option a try also. What precisely (code)
    should I query? There are strings of long numbers and letters... which are
    relevant... and which are common across many errors?

    Curmudgeon, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Curmudgeon

    > WormWood <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Curmudgeon" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi everyone--
    >> >
    >> > I run Win98 on a Dell Latitude notebook. I recently received a
    >> > message from
    >> > my wireless network utility (Micro$oft Broadband Network Utility)
    >> > that
    >> > told
    >> > me that critical updates were available for my system, so I
    >> > complied
    >> > and
    >> > updated them--or so I thought.
    >> >
    >> > Since, I get the BSOD each time I try to connect to the Internet,
    >> > or
    >> > when I
    >> > try to manipulate anything in the MBNU.
    >> >
    >> > Can someone please direct me to a program I can download that will
    >> > help me
    >> > understand what is going wrong? Or maybe a site that will explain
    >> > how
    >> > read the integers in the BSOD message?
    >> >
    >> > Thank you. I'm lost!
    >> >

    >> This from forum at <www.webuser.co.uk>
    >>
    >> [Suggest you uninstall the last Windows "updates"] since your
    >> problems
    >> seemed to start with their installation, and use Firefox for a
    >> trouble-free browsing experience.
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> In the vast majority of cases the Fatal Exception errors are simply
    >> bugs
    >> in the Windows code. Some rare combination of programmes running on
    >> your
    >> PC has caused Windows to get a bit of indigestion. As you say,
    >> everything seems to carry on running properly. Some techno geeks
    >> reckon
    >> that to avoid them you should periodically format your hard disk and
    >> re-install everything but I reckon that's a bit drastic. Also bear in
    >> mind that you are using quite an old operating system (Win98) so it
    >> becomes more likely that you will get conflicts as you load more
    >> stuff
    >> on your PC. If it is happening more than once or twice a week then it
    >> might indeed be time to rebuild.
    >>
    >> Next time it happens try typing the error code into Google. I tried
    >> it
    >> with the one you mention but nothing relevant was found but sometimes
    >> they do appear.

    > Hey thanks. I'll give the Google option a try also. What precisely
    > (code)
    > should I query? There are strings of long numbers and letters...
    > which are
    > relevant... and which are common across many errors?

    This may help:
    http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/r0803/03r03/03r03.asp

    WormWood, Jan 12, 2005