blue screen of death after virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by dingfelder, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. dingfelder

    dingfelder

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Unfortunately I got a virus.
    AVG found it (Generic2.GNY???) which it then removed but it did something to my windows firewall so that it would not start.

    I am running XP Pro SP2 on a compaq presario r3000 laptop

    Researching the error messages, I found a post that said the registery was hacked.

    MS provides a registry cleanup script to fix it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920074/en-us

    I ran the reg file and restarted my pc, and could indeed use the firewall again.
    I did a full antivirus sweep and made sure my system was clean.

    Unfortunately, since then I am experiencing one very annoying issue:

    If I log out and then re-log in again as my user or any other user, it crashes with a blue screen, giving the error

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 f8357c00.

    This does not occur with normal windows startup, only if I log out and then relogin.

    Thoughts?

    dingfelder, Jul 26, 2006

  2. dingfelder

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe try to repair the Windows installation, using your Windows CD.

    bigal, Jul 26, 2006

  3. dingfelder

    alpha1

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    Messages:
    10
    try run chkdsk. some of the irq might have been ruined by the virus. chk might help.

    alpha1, Jul 28, 2006