Blue screen of death after awapping Motherboards.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ken Smith" <> wrote in message
    >| MB - MSI KT4V
    >| Processor - Athlon 2400XP
    >| Memory - Crucial 512mb, DDR, 333Mhz, CL2.5, PC2700
    >| OS - Win XP pro
    >|

    >| Ok, Here's what happened.
    >|
    >| I've got a better motherboard and processor off a bloke in work. It
    >| worked fine with his hardware and settings. I put it in to a new
    >| case with my old hard drive, cd-rw, floppy, memory, PSU, graphics
    >| card and sound card, and now I get the following Blue Screen,
    >|
    >| " Stop: 0X0000007B (0XF894D640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)".
    >|
    >| I put all the above hardware back in my old case with my old MB and
    >| Processor, and it works fine.
    >|
    >| I'm probably missing something here, but I don't know what it is.
    >|
    >| Thanks if you can help.
    >|
    >| Ken

    What you are probably missing is that the XP operating system on the hard
    drive is installed for the hardware settings for your OLD board, and when
    you put the NEW board in, XP is still setup for the OLD board.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Ken Smith, Aug 7, 2004

  3. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
    7 Aug 2004 09:13:21 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> screamed from behind the
    mulberry bush:

    >"Ken Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>| MB - MSI KT4V
    >>| Processor - Athlon 2400XP
    >>| Memory - Crucial 512mb, DDR, 333Mhz, CL2.5, PC2700
    >>| OS - Win XP pro
    >>|

    >>| Ok, Here's what happened.
    >>|
    >>| I've got a better motherboard and processor off a bloke in work. It
    >>| worked fine with his hardware and settings. I put it in to a new
    >>| case with my old hard drive, cd-rw, floppy, memory, PSU, graphics
    >>| card and sound card, and now I get the following Blue Screen,
    >>|
    >>| " Stop: 0X0000007B (0XF894D640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)".
    >>|
    >>| I put all the above hardware back in my old case with my old MB and
    >>| Processor, and it works fine.
    >>|
    >>| I'm probably missing something here, but I don't know what it is.
    >>|
    >>| Thanks if you can help.
    >>|
    >>| Ken

    >What you are probably missing is that the XP operating system on the hard
    >drive is installed for the hardware settings for your OLD board, and when
    >you put the NEW board in, XP is still setup for the OLD board.

    That is true in this case. If you want to update a motherboard, in
    some cases such as those motherboards using VIA chipsets (which use a
    universal driver,) you can get a motherboard using better chipset with
    a faster CPU to install easily. I went from a ASUS A7V using the KT133
    chipset running an Athlon 1.3 Ghz to a Gigabyte 7VT600 running a
    Athlon XP 3000 without a hitch. They both use VIA chipsets. I don't k
    ow if this will work in boards using Intel chipsets. One way to get
    around this is to go into Safe Mode before swapping boards and delete
    out the motherboard settings in Device Manager. However, this doesn't
    work all the time because of the way a chipset/motherboard will setup
    a partition and format a hard drive. There will be enough differences
    that XP will never load and you'll have to do a clean install.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Toolman Tim

    ICee Guest

    Ken Smith wrote:
    > MB - MSI KT4V
    > Processor - Athlon 2400XP
    > Memory - Crucial 512mb, DDR, 333Mhz, CL2.5, PC2700
    > OS - Win XP pro
    >

    > Ok, Here's what happened.
    >
    > I've got a better motherboard and processor off a bloke in work. It
    > worked fine with his hardware and settings. I put it in to a new case
    > with my old hard drive, cd-rw, floppy, memory, PSU, graphics card and
    > sound card, and now I get the following Blue Screen,
    >
    > " Stop: 0X0000007B (0XF894D640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)".
    >
    > I put all the above hardware back in my old case with my old MB and
    > Processor, and it works fine.
    >
    > I'm probably missing something here, but I don't know what it is.
    >
    > Thanks if you can help.
    >
    > Ken

    You will have to do a repair install of XP due to the change of
    hardware.

    ICee, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Toolman Tim

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:04:07 GMT, "Ken Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >MB - MSI KT4V
    >Processor - Athlon 2400XP
    >Memory - Crucial 512mb, DDR, 333Mhz, CL2.5, PC2700
    >OS - Win XP pro
    >

    >Ok, Here's what happened.
    >
    >I've got a better motherboard and processor off a bloke in work. It worked fine with his hardware and settings. I put it in to a new
    >case with my old hard drive, cd-rw, floppy, memory, PSU, graphics card and sound card, and now I get the following Blue Screen,
    >
    >" Stop: 0X0000007B (0XF894D640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)".
    >
    >I put all the above hardware back in my old case with my old MB and Processor, and it works fine.
    >
    >I'm probably missing something here, but I don't know what it is.
    >
    >Thanks if you can help.
    >
    >Ken

    I've had some limited success with booting to the CD that came with the new
    motherboard and installing the new drivers first.

    Failing that, you'll need to do a repair or in-place reinstall.

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

    XP REPAIR

    Boot from the CD or you can insert the CD while at the windows desktop but
    when the setup screen appears, exit setup and reboot. If your system is set
    to be able to boot from the CD, it should detect the disk and give a brief
    message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    Unk, Aug 7, 2004