    the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens. The cursor moves
    but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?

    (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

    Dill, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Dill wrote:
    > My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a
    > web site (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
    >
    > On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
    > changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have
    > it - it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode
    > does exactly the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens.
    > The cursor moves but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
    >
    > (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

    And are we going to be enlightened as to the error on this "blue screen" or
    are we going to have to play guessing games?

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Dill

    Guru Guest

    Dill wrote:

    > My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a web site
    > (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
    >
    > On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
    > changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have it -
    > it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode does exactly
    > the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens. The cursor moves
    > but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
    >
    > (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

    Try a repair with your XP disk.

    Guru, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Dill

    Lee S Guest

    Usually a blue screen is caused by hardware failure. I would try to re-seat
    the memory in the memory slots and if you have more than one memory module
    in the pc try one module at a time to check which one is bad.

    Lee S

    Lee S, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Dill

    WinGuy Guest

    > My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a web

    site
    > (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
    >
    > On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
    > changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have it -
    > it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode does exactly
    > the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens. The cursor moves
    > but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
    >
    > (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

    Booting to the XP CD does not use any OS files from the HDD, but it does
    attempt to copy files from the CD to the HDD that it would use to boot. If
    it is unable to successfully copy files from the CD to the HDD then it could
    BS you. That would probably be a problem with the HDD itself, most likely
    its format. IMHO, the best thing to do with that HDD is to install it as a
    slave into another Win 2000 or XP machine and then run chkdsk on it, and
    also run antivirus against it. Then put it back as a master HDD. It *should*
    then boot from the CD. If it still won't boot (normally or in Safe Mode)
    then the boot sector of the HDD is probably badly messed up, and that
    requires some risk in using some commands from the Recovery Console which
    might help or might make the HDD unreadable forever until reformatted (so
    I'm not gonna tell you how to do that, as you should take it to a
    professional instead). Best wishes!

    WinGuy, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Dill

    Dill Guest

    > My partners pc is playing silly buggers. Apparently he went on to a web

    site
    > (which one he can't remember) and the machine crashed.
    >
    > On rebooting, it gets to the blue windows screen and no further. I've
    > changed the boot sequence to boot from the XP disk but it won't have it -
    > it still just goes to the same blue windows screen. Safe mode does exactly
    > the same. Once at the windows XP screen nothing happens. The cursor moves
    > but no keyboards controls etc work. Anyone any ideas?
    >
    > (OS is XP, Intel 800 processor, 512 RAM, 60G HDD)

    The blue screen isn't an error blue screen, it's the Windows XP start
    screen, but that's as far as it goes.

    Dill, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Dill

    Michael-NC Guest

    Let _me_ guess...

    It's _your_ time of the month...

    Ahh, the joy of x-posted messages, what fun people you get to meet!

    PS. Someone *please* bitch about the top-posting, it just wouldn't be the
    same without it.

    Michael-NC, Jun 5, 2004
  8. Dill

    Henkie Guest

    Hey there,

    if Win Xp doesnot completely boot up, try starting it up in safe mode (hit
    F8 at early stage of computer startup), after safe mode just restart.
    Sometimes one safe boot is enough.

    If not, re enter that menu, choose last known good configuration, this is
    the last time XP remembers to have run properly.

    If this starts, make sure to clean the pc of adware / virii
    (www.download.com ad aware) and housecall.trendmicro.com online scan.

    Let me know how far you get.

    good luck,
    HJ

    alt.computer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.h
    elp_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 9:23 PM
    Subject: Re: blue screen, no boot up

    Henkie, Jun 6, 2004