blue screen failures

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bryan, May 22, 2007.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    The following is my system information. I'm getting blue screen failures
    frequently these days, especially when running two applications, e.g.,
    Napster and my ATT Yahoo! browser. Is there a problem with my memory
    arrangements?

    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name LAPTOPM210
    System Manufacturer Gateway
    System Model NX200S
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1395 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix W320.F09B, 7/21/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.31
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
    (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name LAPTOPM210\Owner
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 148.55 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.09 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Bryan, May 22, 2007

  2. Bryan

    Paul Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > The following is my system information. I'm getting blue screen failures
    > frequently these days, especially when running two applications, e.g.,
    > Napster and my ATT Yahoo! browser. Is there a problem with my memory
    > arrangements?
    >
    > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    > System Name LAPTOPM210
    > System Manufacturer Gateway
    > System Model NX200S
    > System Type X86-based PC
    > Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1395 Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Phoenix W320.F09B, 7/21/2005
    > SMBIOS Version 2.31
    > Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    > System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    > Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    > Locale United States
    > Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
    > (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    > User Name LAPTOPM210\Owner
    > Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    > Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    > Available Physical Memory 148.55 MB
    > Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    > Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    > Page File Space 1.09 GB
    > Page File C:\pagefile.sys

    You can start with a memory testing program if you want.
    These programs are presented to the computer, as a bootable
    floppy or a bootable CD. The reason for booting with only
    the test program, is so that the entire memory can be
    tested. Memtest86+, for example, "lifts" itself out of
    the way, and tests underneath, so every byte is tested.

    http://www.memtest.org/ (program is called memtest86+)
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp (mtinst.exe)

    For help with blue screens, you want to record some of
    the info and post it here.

    Stop 0x0000001e (c000009a 80123f36 02000000 00000246)
    Unhandled Kernel exception c000009a from 8123f26
    Address 80123f36 has base at 80100000 - ntoskrnl.exe

    It also helps to record multiple blue screens - if the
    same routine is responsible every time, that could be
    significant. Sometimes, every crash will be in the
    same device driver.

    This site lists some of the stop codes, if you want to
    work on this yourself. There can be multiple reasons
    for a blue screen, so resolving them is not always
    easy.

    http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

    Paul
    Paul, May 22, 2007

  3. Bryan

    JANA Guest

    Start by running a good memory diagnostics program. This sounds like a RAM
    failure, or something in the I/O for the RAM has failed.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, May 23, 2007