Blue screen crash data (how do you interpret it?)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by genericaudioperson@hotmail.com, May 31, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I copied down the information on the blue screen when the system
    crashed. It seems to happen often when I try to click on a YouTube
    video.

    This is the data:

    Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

    Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X0000075C, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XA9BF9c34)

    WPN111.sys - Address A9BF9C34 base at A9BBC000 Date stamp 4537ab28

    any idea what this data means?

    I know the WPN111 is my wireless USB component attached to the
    computer. I saw some things called "registry cleaners" on the
    internet. But the computer is brand new, so I'm not sure if that's
    the solution.
    , May 31, 2007

  2. Mr. Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I copied down the information on the blue screen when the system
    > crashed. It seems to happen often when I try to click on a YouTube
    > video.
    >
    > This is the data:
    >
    > Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
    >
    > Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X0000075C, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XA9BF9c34)
    >
    > WPN111.sys - Address A9BF9C34 base at A9BBC000 Date stamp 4537ab28
    >

    > any idea what this data means?
    >
    > I know the WPN111 is my wireless USB component attached to the
    > computer. I saw some things called "registry cleaners" on the
    > internet. But the computer is brand new, so I'm not sure if that's
    > the solution.

    Your friend is Google.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal&btnG=Google Search
    Mr. Arnold, May 31, 2007

  3. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I copied down the information on the blue screen when the system
    > crashed. It seems to happen often when I try to click on a YouTube
    > video.
    >
    > This is the data:
    >
    > Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
    >
    > Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X0000075C, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XA9BF9c34)
    >
    > WPN111.sys - Address A9BF9C34 base at A9BBC000 Date stamp 4537ab28
    >

    > any idea what this data means?
    >
    > I know the WPN111 is my wireless USB component attached to the
    > computer. I saw some things called "registry cleaners" on the
    > internet. But the computer is brand new, so I'm not sure if that's
    > the solution.

    http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

    "0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process
    IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver
    (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by
    faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile."

    Can you switch over to a wired network connection, and repeat the
    Youtube experiment ? If you view videos that use a different codec
    (or code path), do you still see the problem ?

    I think it is a bit early to be applying bandaids, because
    you don't know exactly what is broken.

    Looking at the Netgear site, they don't offer any release notes
    for their software package, so I cannot tell if their current
    package fixes anything or not.

    If you want memory test programs to play with, there is memtest86+
    from memtest.org . There is also a similar memory tester provided
    by Microsoft. The memtest86+ program will run forever, until you
    tell it to quit, at which point the computer will reboot.

    http://www.memtest.org/ (program is called memtest86+)
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp (mtinst.exe)

    Paul
    Paul, May 31, 2007
  4. Neil Green Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I copied down the information on the blue screen when
    >the system
    > crashed. It seems to happen often when I try to
    > click on a YouTube
    > video.
    >
    > This is the data:
    >
    > Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
    >
    > Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X0000075C, 0X00000002,
    > 0X00000001, 0XA9BF9c34)
    >
    > WPN111.sys - Address A9BF9C34 base at A9BBC000 Date
    > stamp 4537ab28
    >

    > any idea what this data means?
    >
    > I know the WPN111 is my wireless USB component
    > attached to the
    > computer. I saw some things called "registry
    > cleaners" on the
    > internet. But the computer is brand new, so I'm not
    > sure if that's
    > the solution.

    First the monitor, now the USB?
    It's most probably RAM, but it pays to be sure.
    If you have two sticks in the PC interchange them and
    see if the problem disappears.
    If you only have one run Memtest.
    Some of the cheap generic RAM is rubbish.
    Neil Green, May 31, 2007
  5. Wizard Guest

    A kernal-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location
    without authorization... Typically caused by a faulty or incompatible
    hardware or software ...

    Wizard, May 31, 2007
  6. Guest

    I don't know if it's the monitor or the usb or neither or both. I
    don't think it's the monitor at this point. As far as I know, a
    simple VGA monitor has a data path of one direction. It goes from the
    computer out to the monitor. I was simply trying to rule out the
    monitor. It's kind of like a crime scene and the suspects are being
    brought in for questioning. At this point I'm taking the monitor off
    the suspect list.

    The ram idea is interesting. The computer is from a quality name-
    brand company. I'm guessing the RAM is of mid-grade quality. Not the
    best stuff, but not terrible stuff either. I will call tech support
    later today, ask them about the RAM and these error messages.
    , May 31, 2007
  7. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I don't know if it's the monitor or the usb or neither or both. I
    > don't think it's the monitor at this point. As far as I know, a
    > simple VGA monitor has a data path of one direction. It goes from the
    > computer out to the monitor. I was simply trying to rule out the
    > monitor. It's kind of like a crime scene and the suspects are being
    > brought in for questioning. At this point I'm taking the monitor off
    > the suspect list.
    >
    > The ram idea is interesting. The computer is from a quality name-
    > brand company. I'm guessing the RAM is of mid-grade quality. Not the
    > best stuff, but not terrible stuff either. I will call tech support
    > later today, ask them about the RAM and these error messages.

    The VGA consists of a couple parts. The RGBHV analog signals flow
    from the computer to the display. Not really a source of problems.
    The H and V are sync, determining when flyback of the CRT beam should
    occur. RGB are for the colors.

    There is a second component, a serial bus. The computer queries the monitor
    when the driver starts. The info is stored in an EDID serial EEPROM inside
    the monitor. The EDID contains resolution info, like 1280x1024 at 75Hz,
    that kind of thing. It is possible the info has a checksum, so if it is
    corrupted, the driver could simply ignore it. Again, not something I
    would consider as a prime candidate for crashing.

    Video cards plug into a system bus, and yes, there are more potential
    ways for something like that to crash a computer. Similarly,
    corrupted memory is good at giving a variety of symptoms. The
    reason I recommend tests to you, is I know you have a "Tech Support"
    alternative, but when the computer comes back from them, I'd want
    some tests that can verify they did their jobs well. Either they
    should be running the tests (and tell you which tests they ran and
    for how long). Or you can run the tests yourself, to prove whatever
    they fixed or replaced, really is fixed.

    Tools like memtest86+, Prime95, and 3DMark are a start at testing
    the computer. For hard drives, you can go to the hard drive makers
    site, and download a test program, to see if the drive is a good
    one or not.

    I don't buy a lot of machines, but when I bought one as a gift for
    someone else, I was shocked to find that the company providing them,
    didn't know you could test memory. I actually gave them a floppy with
    memtest86+ on it! I guess if enough customers visit them, they'll
    get a complete test suite :) It took me a couple visits to the
    store, until they gave me some working RAM. And the stuff they
    did give me, I consider to be "floor sweepings" quality. I ended
    up replacing it, before the gift was delivered to its final destination.

    Paul
    Paul, May 31, 2007
  8. Guest

    Thanks, Paul.

    The computer has some diagnostics you can run upon power-up. One of
    them is called a memory test. Maybe I should run that one (that's a
    new idea for me; I've never tested memory before).
    , May 31, 2007
  9. Guest

    I ran the computer's memory diagnostics tests. The system passed all
    the tests. But I'm not sure how rigorous the tests are since it took
    only about 10 minutes to perform all the tests.
    , May 31, 2007
  10. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I ran the computer's memory diagnostics tests. The system passed all
    > the tests. But I'm not sure how rigorous the tests are since it took
    > only about 10 minutes to perform all the tests.

    Memtest86+ and the Microsoft tester, are different compared to other
    memory test programs, in that they don't use an OS, and you boot the
    computer with the test program. Memtest86+ tests every byte of the memory
    (the program actually lifts itself out of the way, and tests where the
    code used to sit). These testers are not a "final authority" on memory
    testing, and in fact experience has shown that no memory tester dedicated
    to the task, catches everything. The purpose of this first level of testing,
    is to give the memory a quick check for "stuck bytes". Two complete passes
    of memtest86+ is generally enough, and then you can move on.

    There are some test programs which run on top of the Windows OS, and
    their job is to be a more "stressful" test. They have been known to find
    errors which are memory related, or errors which are processor or Northbridge
    related. Prime95 and Orthos are two examples of programs like that. If
    there is a computing error, the programs detect it, and the test stops.
    A good computer can run those tests for hours. (But the memory segment
    that gets tested, cannot be the portion occupied by the OS, so the percentage
    of coverage is not as good.)

    So both kinds of tests are recommended.

    If both kinds of tests run without a problem, then you can try some video
    related ones, like running 3DMark or even using a 3D game. Such programs
    do computing, just like Prime95, but you've already proved that stressful
    computing works with the Prime95 test. Which, in theory, leaves the video
    card behavior as the added test coverage.

    I would say right now, that since you've used some kind of memory
    tester, your next test should be Prime95 (downloadable from mersenne.org).

    Paul
    Paul, May 31, 2007