Blue Ray and "old" dvds

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Joshua Zyber, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mark Hubble" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anybody know whether the "older" style DVD's (the ones we have
    > now)
    > will play on the new Blue-Ray DVD player/recorders when they become
    > available. Or are they hoping everyone will replace their "old" DVD's
    > will
    > new HD Blue-Ray Versions?

    Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are expected to offer backwards
    compatibility for playing standard DVDs. Blu-Ray machines will have two
    laser heads, a blue laser for HD and a red laser for DVDs and CDs.

    Mark Hubble, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Joshua Zyber

    Mark Hubble Guest

    Thanks.

    Aren't all HD DVD's going to have to be Blue-Ray as that is the only way
    they can get the capacity needed to store an HD film?

    Mark Hubble, Sep 25, 2004
  4. Joshua Zyber

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Aren't all HD DVD's going to have to be Blue-Ray as that is the only
    > way
    > they can get the capacity needed to store an HD film?

    There are two competing formats in development, Blu-Ray from Sony which
    uses a blue laser, and HD-DVD from Toshiba and NEC that uses a red laser
    with a new digital compression scheme.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 25, 2004
  5. Joshua Zyber

    Mark Hubble Guest

    Two competing formats, how unusual! Thanks for the information.

    Mark Hubble, Sep 25, 2004
  6. >Does anybody know whether the "older" style DVD's (the ones we have now)
    >will play on the new Blue-Ray DVD player/recorders when they become
    >available. Or are they hoping everyone will replace their "old" DVD's will
    >new HD Blue-Ray Versions?

    Blue-Ray will not be compatible with present day DVDs. However, if HD-DVD
    becomes the standard then that will be compatible with today's DVDs.

    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
    MarkZimmerman, Sep 25, 2004
  7. >Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are expected to offer backwards
    >compatibility for playing standard DVDs. Blu-Ray machines will have two
    >laser heads, a blue laser for HD and a red laser for DVDs and CDs.

    If that's true then what I said in my last statement is wrong. But, from what
    I've read Blue-Ray will not be compatible with either CDs or DVDs.

    MarkZimmerman, Sep 25, 2004
  8. >There are two competing formats in development, Blu-Ray from Sony which
    >uses a blue laser, and HD-DVD from Toshiba and NEC that uses a red laser
    >with a new digital compression scheme.

    Now that's what I've heard.

    MarkZimmerman, Sep 25, 2004
  9. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "MarkZimmerman" <> wrote in message
    > >Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are expected to offer backwards
    >>compatibility for playing standard DVDs. Blu-Ray machines will have
    >>two
    >>laser heads, a blue laser for HD and a red laser for DVDs and CDs.

    > If that's true then what I said in my last statement is wrong. But,
    > from what
    > I've read Blue-Ray will not be compatible with either CDs or DVDs.

    The blue laser itself is not compatible with CDs or DVDs, but Blu-Ray
    players will have two laser heads to ensure backwards compatibility.
    Sony would be committing market suicide if their players couldn't play
    traditional DVDs.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 25, 2004
  10. Joshua Zyber

    Mark Hubble Guest

    Just to add something else into the mix. Sony are reported to be using
    Blue-Ray for the PS3. If the PS3 doesn't play older PS2 games and older
    DVD's They will loose out massively to a newer version of Microsoft's X-Box.
    I agree it would be financial suicide to think that people will forget all
    the money they have recently spent on DVD's and PS2 Games.

    What does/will the PSX use?

    Mark Hubble, Sep 25, 2004
  11. Joshua Zyber

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:52:26 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mark Hubble" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anybody know whether the "older" style DVD's (the ones we have
    >> now)
    >> will play on the new Blue-Ray DVD player/recorders when they become
    >> available. Or are they hoping everyone will replace their "old" DVD's
    >> will
    >> new HD Blue-Ray Versions?

    >Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are expected to offer backwards
    >compatibility for playing standard DVDs. Blu-Ray machines will have two
    >laser heads, a blue laser for HD and a red laser for DVDs and CDs.

    Reading older DVD's is one thing. What's the output going to be? If
    it's a HD player, is it going to up convert the older DVD to 720p, or
    1080i? Or are they planning on just staying with a 480i, or 480p
    output?

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Sep 25, 2004
  12. Joshua Zyber

    Big Boy Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Mark Hubble" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>Aren't all HD DVD's going to have to be Blue-Ray as that is the only
    >>way
    >>they can get the capacity needed to store an HD film?

    > There are two competing formats in development, Blu-Ray from Sony which
    > uses a blue laser, and HD-DVD from Toshiba and NEC that uses a red laser
    > with a new digital compression scheme.

    You are incorrect! HD-DVD will use blue-laser technology (not red-laser).

    BB
    Big Boy, Sep 25, 2004
  13. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > Reading older DVD's is one thing. What's the output going to be? If
    > it's a HD player, is it going to up convert the older DVD to 720p, or
    > 1080i? Or are they planning on just staying with a 480i, or 480p
    > output?

    I suppose it depends on the particular manufacturer and model.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 25, 2004
  14. Joshua Zyber

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    (MarkZimmerman) wrote:

    > >Does anybody know whether the "older" style DVD's (the ones we have now)
    > >will play on the new Blue-Ray DVD player/recorders when they become
    > >available. Or are they hoping everyone will replace their "old" DVD's will
    > >new HD Blue-Ray Versions?

    > Blue-Ray will not be compatible with present day DVDs. However, if HD-DVD
    > becomes the standard then that will be compatible with today's DVDs.

    That's not correct. The Blue Ray companies have already announced that
    they developed a read/write multilaser assembly which will read and
    write CD, DVD and Blue Ray discs.

    It's not like the hardware for DVD playback is that complicated or
    expensive. So they can throw that in every Blue Ray hardware.
    poldy, Sep 26, 2004
  15. Joshua Zyber

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > There are two competing formats in development, Blu-Ray from Sony which
    > uses a blue laser, and HD-DVD from Toshiba and NEC that uses a red laser
    > with a new digital compression scheme.

    Wrong, they both use a blue laser. The Blu-Ray gets its greater
    storage capacity from placing the writing layer much closer to the
    bottom surface of the disk (warning: greatly simplified explanation)
    along with other differences. By all accounts, we will have to suffer
    through another format war, but the Sony Blu-Ray has a lot more
    companies lined up behind it than the HD DVD group, so it is likely to
    be the eventual winner - maybe.
    Alan Figgatt, Sep 26, 2004
  16. Alan Figgatt wrote:
    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >
    >> There are two competing formats in development, Blu-Ray from Sony
    >> which uses a blue laser, and HD-DVD from Toshiba and NEC that uses a
    >> red laser with a new digital compression scheme.

    > Wrong, they both use a blue laser. The Blu-Ray gets its greater
    > storage capacity from placing the writing layer much closer to the
    > bottom surface of the disk (warning: greatly simplified explanation)
    > along with other differences. By all accounts, we will have to suffer
    > through another format war, but the Sony Blu-Ray has a lot more
    > companies lined up behind it than the HD DVD group, so it is likely to
    > be the eventual winner - maybe.

    You also forgot, Sony including it with the Playstation 3, when it
    released.
    Quantum Leaper, Sep 26, 2004
  17. Joshua Zyber

    TrulyFilm Guest

    Will Blu-Ray Discs or HD disks still be called DVDs then?
    TrulyFilm, Sep 26, 2004
  18. Joshua Zyber

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    TrulyFilm wrote:

    > Will Blu-Ray Discs or HD disks still be called DVDs then?

    The Blu-Ray backers uses "BD" when referring to their disk (see
    http://www.blu-ray.com/ for their official website) while the HD DVD
    backers use "HD DVD". Since part of the motivation for Sony & others to
    develop Blu-Ray as a different spec is so they don't have to pay
    royalties to the DVD property holders, they may stick to just "BD"
    because "BD DVD" might step on trademarks and cost money.

    Alan
    Alan Figgatt, Sep 26, 2004
  19. Joshua Zyber

    Allan Guest

    All Blu-Ray I've seen so far has been in a cartridge, like RAM..

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:00:59 +0100, "Mark Hubble" <>
    wrote:

    >Does anybody know whether the "older" style DVD's (the ones we have now)
    >will play on the new Blue-Ray DVD player/recorders when they become
    >available. Or are they hoping everyone will replace their "old" DVD's will
    >new HD Blue-Ray Versions?

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Sep 26, 2004
  20. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > All Blu-Ray I've seen so far has been in a cartridge, like RAM..

    Those are the recordable versions. The format is still undergoing
    significant development, and Sony has stated that the normal playback
    consumer version will be more like a traditional DVD player.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 27, 2004