    45 mins. They reakon they are going to sell for around A$800.

    Just wondering if there has been any word on what the media is going to be going
    for?

    Craig Shore, May 9, 2006

  2. Craig Shore

    Vista Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The latest PC User mag has a review of a Samsung Blu Ray burner they
    > managed to
    > get in their posession to try out. They burnt 25gigs onto a re-writable
    > disc in
    > 45 mins. They reakon they are going to sell for around A$800.
    >
    > Just wondering if there has been any word on what the media is going to be
    > going
    > for?

    Are you sure it is not the APC mag, as that is the one I purchased and it
    has a blu ray review too.

    Vista, May 9, 2006

  3. Craig Shore

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 22:49:20 +1200, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >The latest PC User mag has a review of a Samsung Blu Ray burner they managed to
    >get in their posession to try out. They burnt 25gigs onto a re-writable disc in
    >45 mins. They reakon they are going to sell for around A$800.
    >
    >Just wondering if there has been any word on what the media is going to be going
    >for?

    All I have heard it is *expensive*.

    Makes me wonder how many people are going to use just one disc to do
    their backups given the durability of current DVDs.

    GraB, May 9, 2006
  4. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 9 May 2006 23:10:09 +1200, "Vista" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> The latest PC User mag has a review of a Samsung Blu Ray burner they
    >> managed to
    >> get in their posession to try out. They burnt 25gigs onto a re-writable
    >> disc in
    >> 45 mins. They reakon they are going to sell for around A$800.
    >>
    >> Just wondering if there has been any word on what the media is going to be
    >> going
    >> for?
    >>

    >Are you sure it is not the APC mag, as that is the one I purchased and it
    >has a blu ray review too.

    Could have been, I left it at work, and I buy both most of the time. It was on
    the front cover, and seeing as they said it was exclusive to them I guess you
    must be right.

    Craig Shore, May 9, 2006
  5. Craig Shore

    Vista Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 09 May 2006 22:49:20 +1200, Craig Shore
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>The latest PC User mag has a review of a Samsung Blu Ray burner they
    >>managed to
    >>get in their posession to try out. They burnt 25gigs onto a re-writable
    >>disc in
    >>45 mins. They reakon they are going to sell for around A$800.
    >>
    >>Just wondering if there has been any word on what the media is going to be
    >>going
    >>for?
    >>

    > All I have heard it is *expensive*.
    >
    > Makes me wonder how many people are going to use just one disc to do
    > their backups given the durability of current DVDs.

    Eventually they will come down to the $100 mark, just give it a few years.
    That is if BluRay is going to stick, or will it be HDDVD, or maybe a drive
    that does both. Cheaper and more reliable to just by a removable portable
    harddrive, and far larger capacity.

    Vista, May 10, 2006
  6. GraB wrote:
    > Makes me wonder how many people are going to use just one disc to do
    > their backups given the durability of current DVDs.

    From what I read, the BluRay rewritable disks are not die based, and
    will be more reliable than DVD+/-R[W]. Personally I use DVD-RAM for
    important things, as these seem far more reliable.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, May 10, 2006
  7. Craig Shore

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 09 May 2006 22:49:20 +1200, Craig Shore
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The latest PC User mag has a review of a Samsung Blu Ray burner Just
    >>>wondering if there has been any word on what the media is going to be
    >>>going
    >>>for?

    >> Makes me wonder how many people are going to use just one disc to do
    >> their backups given the durability of current DVDs.
    >>

    > Cheaper and more reliable to just by a removable portable harddrive, and
    > far larger capacity.

    But can you buy a HDD with a hi-def movie on it? :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 10, 2006
  8. Craig Shore

    Mutlley Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 09 May 2006 22:49:20 +1200, Craig Shore
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The latest PC User mag has a review of a Samsung Blu Ray burner they
    >>>managed to
    >>>get in their posession to try out. They burnt 25gigs onto a re-writable
    >>>disc in
    >>>45 mins. They reakon they are going to sell for around A$800.
    >>>
    >>>Just wondering if there has been any word on what the media is going to be
    >>>going
    >>>for?
    >>>

    >> All I have heard it is *expensive*.
    >>
    >> Makes me wonder how many people are going to use just one disc to do
    >> their backups given the durability of current DVDs.
    >>

    >Eventually they will come down to the $100 mark, just give it a few years.
    >That is if BluRay is going to stick, or will it be HDDVD, or maybe a drive
    >that does both. Cheaper and more reliable to just by a removable portable
    >harddrive, and far larger capacity.

    Read this

    Mutlley, May 11, 2006