    Allan Guest

    http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1883

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Sep 23, 2005

  2. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1883

    "Blu-ray will have a substantial, and fatal, lead over HD DVD within a
    year Sony has now boasted"

    Gee, so surprising. I wonder what the people at Sony think about the
    X-Box 360, or the iPod, or any other product that competes with one of
    their products?
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Allan

    Jay G. Guest

    Allan <> wrote:

    >http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1883

    I like this quote:

    "Apple, Dell, HP, Hitachi, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips,
    Samsung, Sharp, TDK, Thomson, Twentieth Century Fox and
    Walt Disney... have already declared their collective love for Sony’s
    Blu-ray."

    Apparentlythey thawed Walt's head long enough to get a thumbs-up
    from the big man himself.

    The real clue to Blu-Ray's possible edge is this though:

    "Blu-ray will come as standard on the PlayStation 3 which is expected to
    lead
    to market (Sony apparently swallows an extra $100 per machine to
    incorporate it)."

    With it incorporated into PS3, what's going to happen is that a lot of
    consumers are going to have a Blu-Ray player in the house almost
    by default, while getting a HD-DVD player would be a seperate
    decision. The PS2 was for a lot of people their first DVD player as well.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Sep 24, 2005
  4. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <fB%Ye.2939$>,
    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > "Blu-ray will have a substantial, and fatal, lead over HD DVD within a
    > year Sony has now boasted"
    >
    > Gee, so surprising. I wonder what the people at Sony think about the
    > X-Box 360, or the iPod, or any other product that competes with one of
    > their products?

    As much as I despise Microsoft and the way so many people gladly hand
    over their money to them so they can monopolize everything, I'm starting
    to hope they kick Sony's ass in the next console war. Sony's ego is
    growing to the size of Bill Gates mansion at this point.

    Get over yourself Sony. Your silly geek toy isn't the be all, end all of
    future DVD formats.
    Black Locust, Sep 24, 2005
  5. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:42:15 -0600, Black Locust <>
    wrote:

    >In article <fB%Ye.2939$>,
    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Blu-ray will have a substantial, and fatal, lead over HD DVD within a
    >> year Sony has now boasted"
    >>
    >> Gee, so surprising. I wonder what the people at Sony think about the
    >> X-Box 360, or the iPod, or any other product that competes with one of
    >> their products?

    >As much as I despise Microsoft and the way so many people gladly hand
    >over their money to them so they can monopolize everything, I'm starting
    >to hope they kick Sony's ass in the next console war. Sony's ego is
    >growing to the size of Bill Gates mansion at this point.
    >
    >Get over yourself Sony. Your silly geek toy isn't the be all, end all of
    >future DVD formats.

    http://www.guidetohometheater.com/news/092205sony/

    Sony To Cut 10,000 Jobs

    By Shane C. Buettner

    September 22, 2005 — Consumer electronics giant Sony today announced a
    major restructuring that will cut 10,000 jobs from its global work
    force, close nearly a dozen manufacturing plants and will downsize or
    terminate as many as 15 unprofitable business categories.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Sep 24, 2005
  6. Allan

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    Black Locust <> wrote:

    > Get over yourself Sony. Your silly geek toy isn't the be all, end all of
    > future DVD formats.

    It may not be the end all but it's better than HD-DVD, the main
    competitor at the moment.
    poldy, Sep 24, 2005
  7. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "poldy" <> wrote in message
    >> Get over yourself Sony. Your silly geek toy isn't the be all, end all
    >> of
    >> future DVD formats.

    > It may not be the end all but it's better than HD-DVD, the main
    > competitor at the moment.

    How much direct experience do you have with both formats? Please
    enlighten us.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 24, 2005
  8. Allan

    Guest Guest

    > The real clue to Blu-Ray's possible edge is this though:
    >
    > "Blu-ray will come as standard on the PlayStation 3 which is expected to
    > lead
    > to market (Sony apparently swallows an extra $100 per machine to
    > incorporate it)."

    What is this $100 figure? Is it an additional $100 factory cost, or that
    they would have charged the customer $100 more for the PS3 in the normal
    course of events. Certainly the PS3 would have some sort of DVD player in
    it. Is Sony saying that it will cost $100 more to provide Blu-Ray than it
    would have if they'd used an ordinary DVD player? If so, this doesn't augur
    well for the competitiveness of Blu-Ray.

    If the $100 is the factory cost differential between Blu-Ray and ordinary
    DVD, a number that comes right out of Sony's profit margin, I don't see how
    it can be a success in the marketplace.

    Norm Strong
    Guest, Sep 24, 2005
  9. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > If the $100 is the factory cost differential between Blu-Ray and
    > ordinary DVD, a number that comes right out of Sony's profit margin, I
    > don't see how it can be a success in the marketplace.

    All of the videogame manufacturers sell their consoles below cost and
    eat a loss. They more than make this up with software sales and
    licensing.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 25, 2005
  10. Per poldy:
    >It may not be the end all but it's better than HD-DVD, the main
    >competitor at the moment.

    It sounds like the Blu-Ray disks may be less robust than HD-DVD because, the way
    I hear it, they get a few extra gigs by making the protective layer
    substantially thinner.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 25, 2005
  11. Allan

    Jordan Guest

    What's going to define the winner is the quality of releases and price
    of the players. People won't run out and buy the PS3 just because it
    has Blu-Ray, but it will be a nice bonus for people buying it as a game
    machine.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Sep 25, 2005
  12. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    poldy <> wrote:

    > It may not be the end all but it's better than HD-DVD, the main
    > competitor at the moment.

    *cough* I was refering to the Gaystation 3.
    Black Locust, Sep 25, 2005
  13. Allan

    Rich Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:02:05 -0400, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1883

    Sony is finished as a force. They are going downhill faster than
    an olympic bobsled. Blu-Ray is going to die.
    -Rich

    Rich, Sep 25, 2005
  14. Allan

    Jay G. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Is Sony saying that it will cost $100 more to provide Blu-Ray than it
    >would have if they'd used an ordinary DVD player?

    It isn't Sony that's saying that, but yes, that is the gist of the rumor.

    >If the $100 is the factory cost differential between Blu-Ray and ordinary
    >DVD, a number that comes right out of Sony's profit margin, I don't see how
    >it can be a success in the marketplace.

    DVD players were easily $100 more than what they are now when the
    format was introduced, and it managed to become a success in the
    marketplace. The big hurdle for Hi-Def discs isn't the higher cost of
    the players, but the fact that in order to see any difference, most people
    will have to buy a new TV.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Sep 25, 2005
  15. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > What's going to define the winner is the quality of releases and price
    > of the players. People won't run out and buy the PS3 just because it
    > has Blu-Ray, but it will be a nice bonus for people buying it as a game
    > machine.
    >
    > - Jordan

    People will not buy PS3 if it makes it more expensive to have the Blu Ray
    drive, with no appreciable benefits over one that does not have it!
    Alpha, Sep 25, 2005
  16. Allan

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Jay G. () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > DVD players were easily $100 more than what they are now when the
    > format was introduced, and it managed to become a success in the
    > marketplace.

    Remember that the $100 is *cost* to the manufacturer. The rule of thumb
    is that the end-user price is around 3x the manufacturer cost.

    > The big hurdle for Hi-Def discs isn't the higher cost of
    > the players, but the fact that in order to see any difference, most people
    > will have to buy a new TV.

    Correct, so with $300 the end-user price for the *drive*, there just won't
    be any players less than $500. With that cost, the need for a new display,
    and the lack of titles (even if they manage to release 1000 titles in
    the first year, that's nothing compared to DVD), anything else (like DRM)
    that slows down acceptance will pretty effectively kill HD movie discs.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Sep 25, 2005
  17. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > Jay G. () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> DVD players were easily $100 more than what they are now when the
    >> format was introduced, and it managed to become a success in the
    >> marketplace.

    > Remember that the $100 is *cost* to the manufacturer. The rule of thumb
    > is that the end-user price is around 3x the manufacturer cost.
    >
    >> The big hurdle for Hi-Def discs isn't the higher cost of
    >> the players, but the fact that in order to see any difference, most
    >> people
    >> will have to buy a new TV.

    > Correct, so with $300 the end-user price for the *drive*, there just won't
    > be any players less than $500. With that cost, the need for a new
    > display,
    > and the lack of titles (even if they manage to release 1000 titles in
    > the first year, that's nothing compared to DVD), anything else (like DRM)
    > that slows down acceptance will pretty effectively kill HD movie discs.

    I have wondered if Sony has agreed to the Draconian Digital Rights
    Management agreed to by them...and therefore require that the PS3 be
    connected to the internet to operate.
    Alpha, Sep 25, 2005
  18. Allan

    Guest

    I don't think it will die, at the very least it will remain the
    Playstation 3 disc format. UMD seems to be doing fairly well and
    there's so far only one device that uses it (oddly, also a Sony
    product.)

    - Jordan
    , Sep 26, 2005
  19. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I don't think it will die, at the very least it will remain the
    > Playstation 3 disc format. UMD seems to be doing fairly well and
    > there's so far only one device that uses it (oddly, also a Sony
    > product.)

    This is more so an example of the evergrowing GREED of Hollywood movie
    studios than of an actual demand for movies on a portable video game
    system. As soon as the PSP hit stores, all the studio execs said "Look,
    here's another outlet to sell the same movies to consumers again! Let's
    crank 'em out guys!"

    You can see how much the mindframe of these Hollywood tools has changed
    since the DVD-era began. If you look up articles written pior to or
    shortly after DVD's North American launch in 1997, you'll see studio
    execs saying: "We're going to take it slow this with format. We don't
    want to flood the market with movies on the DVD format and potentially
    hurt the highly profitable and successful VHS format." Stuff to that
    effect... And slow they took it indeed, for a good 3 years or so. Only
    Warner Bros. was flooding the market with DVD titles at that time.

    Now fast-forward to late 2005. The DVD format has been everything they
    could have ever hoped for and MUCH more. VHS is now nearly as dead as
    the 8-track and no one even remembers Laserdisc anymore. And the studio
    execs are rolling around in billions of revenue generated from massive
    DVD sales and rentals. But you now see an entirely approach taken by the
    studio execs. It seems they could now care less if they hurt the current
    video format standard(that of course being DVD). All that matters to
    them now is the possibility of being able to sell the same movies to
    consumers all over again. But I STRONGLY suspect this crap is going to
    backfire on them big time. They're going to learn real quick that
    consumers are not made of money and they cannot keep trying to rape us
    off our hard earned cash like this..

    Give Hollywood the big middle finger. Boycott HD DVD!
    Black Locust, Sep 26, 2005
  20. Allan

    Guest

    "But I STRONGLY suspect this crap is going to
    backfire on them big time. They're going to learn real quick that
    consumers are not made of money and they cannot keep trying to rape us
    off our hard earned cash like this."

    I suspect you're right. The reason people bought massive quantities of
    DVDs was because they weren't happy with the quality of VHS or the cost
    of Laserdisc.

    I plan on looking at the HD players, but if the quality of the releases
    isn't appreciably better than DVD there will be no real reason to
    switch. I also think it's interesting that TV shows on DVD are really
    big sellers, because HD-DVD doesn't benefit old TV shows at all. The
    only possible benefit would be being able to reduce the number of discs
    involved. In the end though they will be limited by what people are
    willing to pay.

    We'll reach a point where it will be possible to put an entire season
    of a TV show on a single disc, but will people be willing to pay $100
    for a single disc?

    - Jordan
    , Sep 26, 2005