    but in the meantime will a Blu-Ray movie look any better than a standard DVD
    on a regular TV with a S-VHS input? (I'm thinking of getting a PS3 and
    using it for Blu-Ray movies until I get a better TV.)

    Why Am I here?, Nov 11, 2006

  2. Why Am I here? wrote:

    > Okay, I know I won't get the full High-Def on a standard TV until I upgrade,
    > but in the meantime will a Blu-Ray movie look any better than a standard DVD
    > on a regular TV with a S-VHS input? (I'm thinking of getting a PS3 and
    > using it for Blu-Ray movies until I get a better TV.)

    Should look about as good as those PBS or BBC hi-def travelogues that
    run on regular TV--
    No increase in resolution, but a nice version of a crisp source.

    (Had the same question, but HD, and wondered how they'd look on a
    standard YCbCr input.)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Why Am I here?

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 04:28:49 GMT, Why Am I here? <> wrote:

    >Okay, I know I won't get the full High-Def on a standard TV until I upgrade,
    >but in the meantime will a Blu-Ray movie look any better than a standard DVD
    >on a regular TV with a S-VHS input? (I'm thinking of getting a PS3 and
    >using it for Blu-Ray movies until I get a better TV.)

    Of course not.

    AZ Nomad, Nov 11, 2006
  4. Why Am I here?

    Neck & Red Guest

    "Why Am I here?" <> wrote in message
    > Okay, I know I won't get the full High-Def on a standard TV until I
    > upgrade, but in the meantime will a Blu-Ray movie look any better than a
    > standard DVD on a regular TV with a S-VHS input? (I'm thinking of getting
    > a PS3 and using it for Blu-Ray movies until I get a better TV.)

    The Xbox with it's HD-DVD drive would be a much better choice.

    Neck & Red, Nov 11, 2006
  5. Neck & Red wrote:
    > "Why Am I here?" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Okay, I know I won't get the full High-Def on a standard TV until I
    >>upgrade, but in the meantime will a Blu-Ray movie look any better than a
    >>standard DVD on a regular TV with a S-VHS input? (I'm thinking of getting
    >>a PS3 and using it for Blu-Ray movies until I get a better TV.)

    > The Xbox with it's HD-DVD drive would be a much better choice.

    And, as already noted, you get the Peter Jackson "King Kong" free
    instead of "Talladega Nights". :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 11, 2006
  6. Why Am I here?

    tekki Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Neck & Red wrote:
    > > "Why Am I here?" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Okay, I know I won't get the full High-Def on a standard TV until I
    > >>upgrade, but in the meantime will a Blu-Ray movie look any better than a
    > >>standard DVD on a regular TV with a S-VHS input? (I'm thinking of

    getting
    > >>a PS3 and using it for Blu-Ray movies until I get a better TV.)

    > > The Xbox with it's HD-DVD drive would be a much better choice.

    > And, as already noted, you get the Peter Jackson "King Kong" free
    > instead of "Talladega Nights". :)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    What you are all missing is the fact that these players will only output
    protected content, i.e. bluray films via the hdmi, so only any use if you
    have a tv that supports the new hdmi v.13 socket. Bluray is an expensive
    alternative to hd dvd and double the price... ok if you get double the
    picture quality, which you don't!

    tekki, Nov 14, 2006
  7. Why Am I here?

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "tekki" <> wrote in message
    > What you are all missing is the fact that these players will only
    > output
    > protected content, i.e. bluray films via the hdmi, so only any use if
    > you
    > have a tv that supports the new hdmi v.13 socket.

    Both HD DVD and Blu-ray players are capable from a hardware perspective
    of allowing full High Definition video to be output over analog
    Component Video. In the future, some discs may be encoded with an Image
    Constraint Token (ICT) that will automatically reduce the video
    resolution of the Component connections to either 480p or 540p output.
    However, as yet no discs contain that flag, and word is that the movie
    studios have an unofficial pact not to employ it until at least 2010.

    You don't need HDMI 1.3 to play either format. The current HDMI
    standards (1.1 and 1.2) work just fine too.

    Joshua Zyber, Nov 14, 2006
  8. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "tekki" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What you are all missing is the fact that these players will only
    >>output
    >>protected content, i.e. bluray films via the hdmi, so only any use if
    >>you
    >>have a tv that supports the new hdmi v.13 socket.

    > Both HD DVD and Blu-ray players are capable from a hardware perspective
    > of allowing full High Definition video to be output over analog
    > Component Video. In the future, some discs may be encoded with an Image
    > Constraint Token (ICT) that will automatically reduce the video
    > resolution of the Component connections to either 480p or 540p output.
    > However, as yet no discs contain that flag, and word is that the movie
    > studios have an unofficial pact not to employ it until at least 2010.

    So, even the two game-players have component connections, instead of
    just HDMI?
    (I don't know, I'm asking!)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 14, 2006
  9. Why Am I here?

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    >> Both HD DVD and Blu-ray players are capable from a hardware
    >> perspective of allowing full High Definition video to be output over
    >> analog Component Video. In the future, some discs may be encoded with
    >> an Image Constraint Token (ICT) that will automatically reduce the
    >> video resolution of the Component connections to either 480p or 540p
    >> output. However, as yet no discs contain that flag, and word is that
    >> the movie studios have an unofficial pact not to employ it until at
    >> least 2010.

    > So, even the two game-players have component connections, instead of
    > just HDMI?
    > (I don't know, I'm asking!)

    The XBox360 has only component and VGA connections, no HDMI at all. The
    PS3 has component and HDMI. Both are capable of delivering full High
    Definition.

    Joshua Zyber, Nov 15, 2006
  10. Why Am I here?

    Luke Hooft Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > The XBox360 has only component and VGA connections, no HDMI at all. The
    > PS3 has component and HDMI. Both are capable of delivering full High
    > Definition.

    Actually, the PS3 will come in 2 versions - 1 with HDMI and other
    features, and one a cheaper cut-down version.

    LH

    Luke Hooft, Nov 15, 2006
  11. Why Am I here?

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Luke Hooft" <> wrote in message
    >> The XBox360 has only component and VGA connections, no HDMI at all.
    >> The PS3 has component and HDMI. Both are capable of delivering full
    >> High Definition.

    > Actually, the PS3 will come in 2 versions - 1 with HDMI and other
    > features, and one a cheaper cut-down version.

    I stand corrected.

    Joshua Zyber, Nov 15, 2006