Blu-ray Profile 1.1--Yeah, WE got it...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Derek Janssen, Dec 18, 2007.

  1. As of midnight EST, 12/18, the latest System Update 2.10 for Playstation
    3 (available over wireless/Ethernet download, or later as archive file
    from Sony's PS website), is reported to include:

    ---
    - BluRay 1.1
    - DivX (exc. divx3.11), VC-1(wmv)
    - BluRay Disc Settings Tool additions.
    ---

    ....Okay, scratch another bragging point for HD defenders.

    Of course (ahemdoug) we might be asked to be impressed that HD had it
    FIRST? ;)
    Yeah, right, whatthehellever--Thanks for the history lesson, Sam
    Waterston. Fact is, we've got it *now*.
    And even if Warner chickens out three weeks from today, and doesn't come
    through on those unconfirmed "Giving up the ship" rumors at CES'08, at
    least they've finally got that long-awaited BD-J incentive for
    dual-releasing "Batman Begins" and dozen or so other HD-only titles, to
    which they kept claiming their hands were tied.

    Bringing the Format War squarely back down to where it began, namely
    comparative sales figures.
    (And on that particular talking point, I don't wish to come off as
    gratuitously harsh or critical, or seeming too negative, but...YOU'RE
    BEING CLOBBERED WITH A BASEBALL BAT, HD!! ^_^ )

    Derek Janssen (news, with diplomacy)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 18, 2007

  2. On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:05:50 GMT, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Derek Janssen (news, with diplomacy)

    You wouldn't know what diplomacy was if it bit you in the ass.
    The Last Mimsy, Dec 18, 2007

  3. Derek Janssen

    Mark Jones Guest

    Mark Jones, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Derek Janssen

    Kimba W Lion Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    >Derek Janssen (news, with diplomacy)

    Ever since you bought into the Blu-Ray camp, you've become rather
    insufferable.
    Kimba W Lion, Dec 18, 2007
  5. In article <ybL9j.5153$Xh1.1637@trndny03>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > As of midnight EST, 12/18, the latest System Update 2.10 for Playstation
    > 3 (available over wireless/Ethernet download, or later as archive file
    > from Sony's PS website), is reported to include:
    >
    > ---
    > - BluRay 1.1
    > - DivX (exc. divx3.11), VC-1(wmv)
    > - BluRay Disc Settings Tool additions.
    > ---
    >
    > ...Okay, scratch another bragging point for HD defenders.
    >
    > Of course (ahemdoug) we might be asked to be impressed that HD had it
    > FIRST? ;)
    > Yeah, right, whatthehellever--Thanks for the history lesson, Sam
    > Waterston. Fact is, we've got it *now*.
    > And even if Warner chickens out three weeks from today, and doesn't come
    > through on those unconfirmed "Giving up the ship" rumors at CES'08, at
    > least they've finally got that long-awaited BD-J incentive for
    > dual-releasing "Batman Begins" and dozen or so other HD-only titles, to
    > which they kept claiming their hands were tied.
    >
    > Bringing the Format War squarely back down to where it began, namely
    > comparative sales figures.
    > (And on that particular talking point, I don't wish to come off as
    > gratuitously harsh or critical, or seeming too negative, but...YOU'RE
    > BEING CLOBBERED WITH A BASEBALL BAT, HD!! ^_^ )
    >
    > Derek Janssen (news, with diplomacy)

    Yeah, I got it last night.

    But now for my curmudgeonly comment. That makes exactly 2 models of BD
    players that can do 1.1...

    <G>
    Lloyd Parsons, Dec 18, 2007
  6. Kimba W Lion wrote:

    >>(news, with diplomacy)

    > Ever since you bought into the Blu-Ray camp, you've become rather
    > insufferable.

    Actually, I'd like to be the "voice of reason", now that the War seems
    to be resolving itself nicely as we move into January '08...

    If only, ahem, SOME people on the board didn't get vicarious thrills
    mistaking 2007 Blu-Ray for 2006 Blu-ray (whatever happened to that old
    version that didn't work?), trying to play the old 2006 "Blu-D00d Lives"
    act, and shouting down every advancement toward an honorable peace with
    the same uninformed HD support, Draft-dodge whining, or otherwise
    Contraryism for Smug's Sake.

    Until said same voices (some of who claim they already bought a PS3) can
    admit that time and progress are beginning to leave their vaudeville act
    behind, my job, unfortunately, remains unfinished.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Dec 18, 2007
  7. Lloyd Parsons wrote:

    > But now for my curmudgeonly comment. That makes exactly 2 models of BD
    > players that can do 1.1...

    Yeah, darnit, now only 80% of its customers can enjoy it. ^_^

    Derek Janssen (who likens his conversion to that of the Apostle Paul,
    except for being more of a total bastard about it)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 18, 2007
  8. In article <x6T9j.11664$6X.11557@trndny06>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Kimba W Lion wrote:
    > >
    > >>(news, with diplomacy)

    > > Ever since you bought into the Blu-Ray camp, you've become rather
    > > insufferable.

    > Actually, I'd like to be the "voice of reason", now that the War seems
    > to be resolving itself nicely as we move into January '08...
    >
    > If only, ahem, SOME people on the board didn't get vicarious thrills
    > mistaking 2007 Blu-Ray for 2006 Blu-ray (whatever happened to that old
    > version that didn't work?), trying to play the old 2006 "Blu-D00d Lives"
    > act, and shouting down every advancement toward an honorable peace with
    > the same uninformed HD support, Draft-dodge whining, or otherwise
    > Contraryism for Smug's Sake.
    >
    > Until said same voices (some of who claim they already bought a PS3) can
    > admit that time and progress are beginning to leave their vaudeville act
    > behind, my job, unfortunately, remains unfinished.
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    PPhhhhttttt!!! :)

    The BD guys are certainly trying hard enough these days. Took them long
    enough!

    The BDP-S300 (I paid $499 when it released), is now $299 which is a damn
    good price for that limited model. Probably should street soon for $250
    or so. That is nearly impulse range.

    The PS3/40Gb @399 is a steal, and was long overdue. Makes it a pretty
    compelling BD player since it is now Profile 1.1 and does TrueHD (and
    maybe, I hope, DTS-HD MA someday).

    And the Panasonic BD-30 is getting great reviews at a pretty good price.

    While I don't have a problem with one or the other winning the phony
    war, I think it needs to go a bit longer to keep pushing the prices down
    on both sides, both hardware and software. The war is what has gotten
    us all the BOGO sales and 2-fers and such.

    BTW, I just got my 5 free BD discs today. In 3 WEEKS!! Recent reports
    were showing 2+ months. I'm tickled to death.
    Lloyd Parsons, Dec 18, 2007
  9. In article <uqT9j.11687$6X.1607@trndny06>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    > >
    > > But now for my curmudgeonly comment. That makes exactly 2 models of BD
    > > players that can do 1.1...

    > Yeah, darnit, now only 80% of its customers can enjoy it. ^_^
    >
    > Derek Janssen (who likens his conversion to that of the Apostle Paul,
    > except for being more of a total bastard about it)

    Ya know not all, not even a majority, of PS3 owners use it for BD
    playing, don't you. Or did you forget that tidbit? :)
    Lloyd Parsons, Dec 18, 2007
  10. Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    > In article <uqT9j.11687$6X.1607@trndny06>,
    > Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >

    >>Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    >>
    >>>But now for my curmudgeonly comment. That makes exactly 2 models of BD
    >>>players that can do 1.1...

    >>Yeah, darnit, now only 80% of its customers can enjoy it. ^_^

    > Ya know not all, not even a majority, of PS3 owners use it for BD
    > playing, don't you. Or did you forget that tidbit? :)

    So...there'll be MORE viewers as soon as the game-centric dopes find out
    how lucky they'd had it all along? Well, that's no cause for concern.

    (And some of us ex-'06-bashers feel a little bit at fault, for
    traumatizing Sony into putting "Also plays Blu-ray disks" in
    *teeny-tiny* letters, B-billed third or fourth place down on their list
    of features on the box...
    They're just starting to ramp up the what-is-Blu marketing advertising
    NOW, but they've still reportedly got new 40G customers asking
    "Spiderman 3?--What kinda game is this? Looks like a movie, but it
    won't play in my DVD player!")

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Dec 18, 2007
  11. Derek Janssen

    Winfield Guest

    Lloyd Parsons wrote:

    [snip] ...

    > While I don't have a problem with one or the other winning the phony
    > war, I think it needs to go a bit longer to keep pushing the prices down
    > on both sides, both hardware and software. The war is what has gotten
    > us all the BOGO sales and 2-fers and such.

    Great minds think alike. You're right on target with above comment.

    Thanks for being the "voice of reason".

    (Derek J. has gone totally FULLSCREEN over his new Blu-Ray pajamas)

    winf 8*P
    Winfield, Dec 19, 2007
  12. Winfield wrote:

    > Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    >
    > [snip] ...
    >
    >> While I don't have a problem with one or the other winning the phony
    >> war, I think it needs to go a bit longer to keep pushing the prices
    >> down on both sides, both hardware and software. The war is what has
    >> gotten us all the BOGO sales and 2-fers and such.

    > Great minds think alike. You're right on target with above comment.
    >
    > Thanks for being the "voice of reason".
    >
    > (Derek J. has gone totally FULLSCREEN over his new Blu-Ray pajamas)

    The one last defense we have for the War is "Look at all the bargains!
    :p "

    Which is the Bottom-Feeding defense, those of vultures and war profiteers--
    Those who don't take sides, and don't care which side buys the missiles
    or how many casualties stack up, so long as They Get Theirs.
    "Hey, I got an HD player for $99!"...Yes, you got one because Toshiba/MS
    was reduced to slashing an unsuccessful item to below safe profit
    margins, and taking losses on their product to try and stem hemorraging
    income.
    Those who DIDN'T rush out and "grab a cheap HD player for $99" were more
    mercifully hoping to see Toshiba lose *all* their money on an
    unsuccessful product that was cluttering up a confused industry,hoping
    to see an industry that could refine and mainstream its more successful
    product to a wider and cheaper customer base, and hoping to lower prices
    in a more longterm way.

    I'm not asking that anyone here *CARE* about the War.
    I'm just asking your support in helping fight it a little more damn
    efficiently, and helping end it sooner. As I understand from most of
    the comments, that seems to be the popular goal.
    There were plenty of Black marketeers in every war, they got plenty of
    their own bargains on the sly, and I don't recall anyone ever calling
    them heroes.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Dec 19, 2007
  13. In article <ptfaj.5039$Vg1.740@trndny04>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Winfield wrote:
    >
    > > Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    > >
    > > [snip] ...
    > >
    > >> While I don't have a problem with one or the other winning the phony
    > >> war, I think it needs to go a bit longer to keep pushing the prices
    > >> down on both sides, both hardware and software. The war is what has
    > >> gotten us all the BOGO sales and 2-fers and such.

    > > Great minds think alike. You're right on target with above comment.
    > >
    > > Thanks for being the "voice of reason".
    > >
    > > (Derek J. has gone totally FULLSCREEN over his new Blu-Ray pajamas)

    > The one last defense we have for the War is "Look at all the bargains!
    > :p "
    >
    > Which is the Bottom-Feeding defense, those of vultures and war profiteers--
    > Those who don't take sides, and don't care which side buys the missiles
    > or how many casualties stack up, so long as They Get Theirs.
    > "Hey, I got an HD player for $99!"...Yes, you got one because Toshiba/MS
    > was reduced to slashing an unsuccessful item to below safe profit
    > margins, and taking losses on their product to try and stem hemorraging
    > income.
    > Those who DIDN'T rush out and "grab a cheap HD player for $99" were more
    > mercifully hoping to see Toshiba lose *all* their money on an
    > unsuccessful product that was cluttering up a confused industry,hoping
    > to see an industry that could refine and mainstream its more successful
    > product to a wider and cheaper customer base, and hoping to lower prices
    > in a more longterm way.
    >
    > I'm not asking that anyone here *CARE* about the War.
    > I'm just asking your support in helping fight it a little more damn
    > efficiently, and helping end it sooner. As I understand from most of
    > the comments, that seems to be the popular goal.
    > There were plenty of Black marketeers in every war, they got plenty of
    > their own bargains on the sly, and I don't recall anyone ever calling
    > them heroes.
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    Nah, you go fight the war, I want it to keep going for a bit longer to
    keep all you BD guys doing the BOGO sales! I like cheap HD movies!!
    Lloyd Parsons, Dec 19, 2007
  14. On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:58:21 -0700, Winfield <>
    wrote:

    >Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    >
    > [snip] ...
    >
    >> While I don't have a problem with one or the other winning the phony
    >> war, I think it needs to go a bit longer to keep pushing the prices down
    >> on both sides, both hardware and software. The war is what has gotten
    >> us all the BOGO sales and 2-fers and such.

    >Great minds think alike. You're right on target with above comment.
    >
    >Thanks for being the "voice of reason".
    >
    > (Derek J. has gone totally FULLSCREEN over his new Blu-Ray pajamas)

    That was actually amusing! I prefer to call it FOOLscreen though.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 20, 2007
  15. On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:49:25 GMT, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >I'm not asking that anyone here *CARE* about the War.
    >I'm just asking your support in helping fight it a little more damn
    >efficiently, and helping end it sooner. As I understand from most of
    >the comments, that seems to be the popular goal.
    >There were plenty of Black marketeers in every war, they got plenty of
    >their own bargains on the sly, and I don't recall anyone ever calling
    >them heroes.

    You're an idiot. There is no war. Both formats will survive for quite
    a while. Get used to it.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 20, 2007
  16. Lloyd Parsons wrote:

    > Nah, you go fight the war, I want it to keep going for a bit longer to
    > keep all you BD guys doing the BOGO sales! I like cheap HD movies!!

    Yeah, they're "cheap", all right, in more ways than one:

    Ie., as long as Warner remains dual-format--and the ONLY dual-format
    studio, at that--they use one VC-1 master to encode both their HD and
    Blu-ray releases, which means Warner Blu titles rarely exceed the same
    technical limitations in their print quality as their HD's.

    So, if you're thinking "Both formats look the same", well, in Warner's
    case, they DO...
    And given what we've seen from other dedicated-Blu studios like Disney,
    most Blu fans would rather wish they *didn't*, and that Warner would
    either quit or get off the pot already sometime this year.

    ...Those who think a continuing war is "healthy for the economy", just
    ask the peasants on the street. -_-

    Derek Janssen (CES'08 Countdown: 19 days...And yeah, Warner will
    probably wimp out and just announce they're converting their last HD
    titles, but it's something)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 20, 2007
  17. Derek Janssen

    Sterculius Guest

    Here's a message ChairmanOfTheCornholers / RoyLFucks / MiniProng / DickMatter / TheKrakhead / Dumbfuck / Cocksucker posted back in December of last year. Looks like you really called this one Roy, HD-DVD lasted almost 4 more months after your expert prediction. Got any good stock tips for the group?

    Sterculius, Feb 20, 2008