    still play the movies OK. Is the problem just with certain special
    features not working? What is the nature of the problem that would
    lead to a need to obtain a firmware update?

    Mark Jones, Oct 4, 2007

  2. Mark Jones wrote:
    > Will the blu-ray players that need firmware updates for some movies
    > still play the movies OK. Is the problem just with certain special
    > features not working? What is the nature of the problem that would
    > lead to a need to obtain a firmware update?

    New question, I'm assuming, but for the FAQ:

    Basically the BD-Java Profiles, which run the higher functions of the
    disk outside of the movie (such as extras)--
    In particular, Profile 1.1 (and 2.0, for online content, if you can get
    it), which was supposed to be installed in most machines by the end of
    this month, and looks like it's not going to be.
    Also some of the newer audio codecs, for optimal sound.

    THe players now will still play the movies, just most of the hardware
    players haven't been as adaptable as the Playstation 3 or as future
    models which we're still waiting to hear announced.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 4, 2007

  3. In article <MWZMi.3789$R%1.1777@trndny06>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Mark Jones wrote:
    > > Will the blu-ray players that need firmware updates for some movies
    > > still play the movies OK. Is the problem just with certain special
    > > features not working? What is the nature of the problem that would
    > > lead to a need to obtain a firmware update?

    > New question, I'm assuming, but for the FAQ:
    >
    > Basically the BD-Java Profiles, which run the higher functions of the
    > disk outside of the movie (such as extras)--
    > In particular, Profile 1.1 (and 2.0, for online content, if you can get
    > it), which was supposed to be installed in most machines by the end of
    > this month, and looks like it's not going to be.
    > Also some of the newer audio codecs, for optimal sound.
    >
    > THe players now will still play the movies, just most of the hardware
    > players haven't been as adaptable as the Playstation 3 or as future
    > models which we're still waiting to hear announced.
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    I know that is the BD line, that the new movies made to the new profiles
    will play fine on the current players, but with the delay of one of
    Fox's new movies because of playing issues, I'm starting to wonder.

    I hope it turns out that all will be fine, but you do have to wonder
    when the newer profile machines are either not announced yet, or the
    very few that have been announced are for release next year, just what
    is going on with the profile changes.

    With my player, the more java in the movie, the slower it is to load.
    Seems to be the case with all of them to some degree. After a firmware
    upgrade to specifically help with this, I haven't noticed a difference
    in load times, but have noticed an improvement in response time, once it
    is loaded.

    I still haven't figured out why all this Java stuff is needed, other
    than being different from the competition.

    BTW, I just watched and listened to Dr. Strange. One audio selection
    was DTS-ES 7.1 HD. I selected that and it provided 7.1 sound, or at
    least it appeared to do it, yet my player (BDP-S300) claims not to deal
    with this. Did it just do normal DTS-ES? And if so, I wasn't aware
    that DTS-ES could do 7.1, only 6.1.

    Lloyd Parsons, Oct 4, 2007
  4. Mark Jones

    Kimba W Lion Guest

    Lloyd Parsons <> wrote:

    >I still haven't figured out why all this Java stuff is needed, other
    >than being different from the competition.

    That's what I was thinking as I read this thread.

    The Blu folks really are intent on not being accepted by the mass market,
    aren't they?

    Kimba W Lion, Oct 4, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    Kimba W Lion <kimbawlion> wrote:

    > Lloyd Parsons <> wrote:
    >
    > >I still haven't figured out why all this Java stuff is needed, other
    > >than being different from the competition.

    > That's what I was thinking as I read this thread.
    >
    > The Blu folks really are intent on not being accepted by the mass market,
    > aren't they?

    Sometimes it seems so. Much higher pricing on players that aren't any
    better or worse than their HDDVD counterparts, no real entry level
    players at all, and audio decoding ability all over the place.

    Lloyd Parsons, Oct 4, 2007
  6. On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 08:20:25 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Kimba W Lion <kimbawlion> wrote:
    >
    >> Lloyd Parsons <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I still haven't figured out why all this Java stuff is needed, other
    >> >than being different from the competition.

    >> That's what I was thinking as I read this thread.
    >>
    >> The Blu folks really are intent on not being accepted by the mass market,
    >> aren't they?

    >Sometimes it seems so. Much higher pricing on players that aren't any
    >better or worse than their HDDVD counterparts, no real entry level
    >players at all, and audio decoding ability all over the place.

    Toshiba's HD DVD format is ALSO java driven.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 5, 2007
  7. In article <>,
    ChairmanOfTheBored <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 08:20:25 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Kimba W Lion <kimbawlion> wrote:

    > >> That's what I was thinking as I read this thread.
    > >>
    > >> The Blu folks really are intent on not being accepted by the mass market,
    > >> aren't they?

    > >Sometimes it seems so. Much higher pricing on players that aren't any
    > >better or worse than their HDDVD counterparts, no real entry level
    > >players at all, and audio decoding ability all over the place.

    > Toshiba's HD DVD format is ALSO java driven.

    Not the menuing and such, that is done with IME. Easier and cheaper to
    program.

    Lloyd Parsons, Oct 5, 2007
  8. Mark Jones

    Mark Jones Guest

    Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    > I know that is the BD line, that the new movies made to the new
    > profiles will play fine on the current players, but with the delay of
    > one of Fox's new movies because of playing issues, I'm starting to
    > wonder.
    >
    > I hope it turns out that all will be fine, but you do have to wonder
    > when the newer profile machines are either not announced yet, or the
    > very few that have been announced are for release next year, just what
    > is going on with the profile changes.

    I had hoped that the studios would at least keep one of the
    early model players to make certain that the movie could
    at be played with one of the digital sound formats currently
    used by regular DVDs. This may in fact be the case, but it
    isn't real clear from some of the information that I have read.

    I am surprised that they are having so much trouble getting
    the issues worked out in time to have the new systems
    ready for the Christmas buying season. I may end up buying
    both an HD-DVD and Blu-Ray player, but holding off on
    the Blu-Ray player until the middle of next year.

    Blu-Ray still sounds like it is in the early beta test stage,
    and I would rather just watch a movie and not have to deal
    with compatible issues.

    Mark Jones, Oct 5, 2007