    any players or discs that require an internet hook-up.
    I would predict that any internet scheme will fail faster
    than DIVX.
    so57th, Nov 3, 2005

  2. so57th

    Dan P. Guest

    "so57th" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What is the rumored Blu-Ray Internet Hook-Up suppose to
    > accomplish? Will this confirm that you are only playing
    > liscensed discs? Will there be some authorization code?
    >
    > I'm not overly concerned as I have no intentions of buying
    > any players or discs that require an internet hook-up.
    > I would predict that any internet scheme will fail faster
    > than DIVX.

    They'd be shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. Let's put the
    privacy issue (big brother) aside for now. Logistically, they'll turn away
    much of their audience. I know I don't have an internet connection readily
    available in my living room. The only way to get one would be to add a
    wireless access point. And what if my internet is down? That means I can't
    watch movies?

    So I really doubt they would ever create a player like this. If blu-ray is
    going to sell big, like DVD did, it has to be easy to use. You have to be
    able to put it in multiple rooms without any fuss. That means no network
    connections.

    Dan
    Dan P., Nov 3, 2005

  3. so57th

    Goro Guest

    so57th wrote:
    > What is the rumored Blu-Ray Internet Hook-Up suppose to
    > accomplish? Will this confirm that you are only playing
    > liscensed discs? Will there be some authorization code?
    >
    > I'm not overly concerned as I have no intentions of buying
    > any players or discs that require an internet hook-up.
    > I would predict that any internet scheme will fail faster
    > than DIVX.

    http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/08/10/blu/index.html

    "One part of the announcement that had been anticipated by experts was
    Blu-ray's embrace of Advanced Access Content System (AACS), one version
    of which has also been adopted by the HD DVD Forum. This controversial
    technology would require that disc players maintain permanent
    connections to content providers via the Internet, making it possible
    for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification process,
    enabling the provider to send the player a sort of "self-destruct
    code." This code would come in the form of a flash ROM "update" that
    would actually render the player useless, perhaps unless and until it
    is taken to a repair shop for reprogramming. The Blu-ray statement
    noted that certain elements of AACS have yet to be formally approved by
    the BDA."

    I recall raeding that the Marketing Push for the internet connection
    will be so that users can get "Enhanced content" or some such... yeah
    right.

    -goro-
    Goro, Nov 3, 2005
  4. so57th

    Jordan Guest

    so57th wrote:
    > What is the rumored Blu-Ray Internet Hook-Up suppose to
    > accomplish? Will this confirm that you are only playing
    > liscensed discs? Will there be some authorization code?
    >
    > I'm not overly concerned as I have no intentions of buying
    > any players or discs that require an internet hook-up.
    > I would predict that any internet scheme will fail faster
    > than DIVX.

    Not only that, but if they don't like how you're using your Blu-Ray
    player, they can disable it remotely via the Internet connection.

    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000737057152/

    "On top of that, consumers should expect punishment for tinkering with
    their Blu-ray players, as many have done with current DVD players, for
    instance to remove regional coding. The new, Internet-connected and
    secure players will report any "hack" and the device can be
    disabled remotely."

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Nov 3, 2005
  5. so57th

    Guest

    This is why DVD will continue to reign supreme for many years. They
    look great on HD sets, they work just fine with all the conventional
    sets out there that will last many years after the analog signals go
    off the air, the discs themselves will likely last decades as well, and
    practically everyone has one. It's also an open, easy to use format.
    My advice is to pick up one of the high end built-like-a-tank DVD
    players, either on clearance or on ebay, and forget about the HD
    formats for awhile. Let the bullshit settle itself.

    -beaumon
    , Nov 4, 2005
  6. so57th

    so57th Guest

    wrote:
    > This is why DVD will continue to reign supreme for many years. They
    > look great on HD sets, they work just fine with all the conventional
    > sets out there that will last many years after the analog signals go
    > off the air, the discs themselves will likely last decades as well, and
    > practically everyone has one. It's also an open, easy to use format.
    > My advice is to pick up one of the high end built-like-a-tank DVD
    > players, either on clearance or on ebay, and forget about the HD
    > formats for awhile. Let the bullshit settle itself.
    >
    > -beaumon

    I would bet that they will be making dvd players and regular DVDs as
    long as consumers continue to buy them.

    The studios are not going to sacrifice mass sales of movie releases
    while thay are waiting for the majority of consumers to switch to HD.

    How long has it been since DVDs were introduced. ( 8-10 years? )
    VCRs are still readily available and the format is all but dead for
    movie releases.

    If we are talking internet hookups and laser disc pricing for HD/BluRay
    I believe mass acceptance of the format will be much slower than the
    conversion from VHS to DVDs.
    so57th, Nov 5, 2005